Thread: Ouch - a Scorpion!

Blog Entries

Ouch - a Scorpion!

Around 12:30 last night I woke up with a burning in front of my shoulder. I tried to sleep through it, but then I felt it on my upper arm. Still not wanting to wake up I toyed with the idea that this was just a vivid dream, but reality sank in as my hip started burning. I flicked on the light and jumped out of bed and there HE was - a SCORPION. I ran to the closet to grab my husband's shoe (Husband lay just lay there, so much for my hero, someone at work thought he was going over my life insurance policy in his head) and when I ran back to the bed the bugger had crawled in between some folds of the sheet. I uncovered him, knocked him off the bed with the shoe and smashed the living daylights out of him.

I then went to inspect the damage. EIGHT stings altogether!!!!!! I put some anti-itch stuff on them, took an antihistimine and went back to sleep (luckily I was too tired to be creeped out that there would be more).

Up at 4:30 for practice and my tongue felt funny (tingley). (Husband did ask if stings still hurt). Breathing was not difficult, but felt different. I took it easy swimming, we did mostly drills anyway today. My tongue then swelled up (it felt bigger in the middle as the morning went on) and I took two more antihistimines and made it through the work day.

Living in Texas is fun.
    If you want a place in the sun, you have to put up with a few blisters. Abigail Van Buren

Re: Ouch - a Scorpion!

My wife won't even kill a cockroach. Way to go Anne Oakley!
    I keep telling my coaches, "I am a sprinter" and "they keep saying you swim short races, but that is not the same thing." - Some Girl

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

If I had failed in my role as Official Smasher of Vile Creatures, you can rest assured I would be tithing dark chocolate and back rubs to my wife for quite a spell.
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

Quote Originally Posted by swim4me View Post
    I ran to the closet to grab my husband's shoe (Husband lay just lay there, so much for my hero, someone at work thought he was going over my life insurance policy in his head) and when I ran back to the bed the bugger had crawled in between some folds of the sheet. I uncovered him, knocked him off the bed with the shoe and smashed the living daylights out of him.
    That seems a bit extreme, just because he wouldn't kill a bug for you!

Way to go, Kathy! (The shoe might have "accidentally" flown out of my hand a few times in the direction of my husband.) I am the killer of stinging insects (thankfully, no scorpions) in my house, "Wasp Central". A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

BTW If you reacted that way to your first scorpion stings, you might want to mention it to your md as allergic reactions tend to get worse over time.
    "...it is but well to be on friendly terms with all the inmates of the place one lodges in."
    Melville, Moby Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cruise View Post
    If I had failed in my role as Official Smasher of Vile Creatures, you can rest assured I would be tithing dark chocolate and back rubs to my wife for quite a spell.
    Oh you are good! I know where back rubs and dark chocolate leads. You weren't thinking insurance; you were thinking .

You rule!
    </IMG></IMG>
    I keep telling my coaches, "I am a sprinter" and "they keep saying you swim short races, but that is not the same thing." - Some Girl

Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swim4me View Post
    Around 12:30 last night I woke up with a burning in front of my shoulder. I tried to sleep through it, but then I felt it on my upper arm. Still not wanting to wake up I toyed with the idea that this was just a vivid dream, but reality sank in as my hip started burning. I flicked on the light and jumped out of bed and there HE was - a SCORPION. I ran to the closet to grab my husband's shoe (Husband lay just lay there, so much for my hero, someone at work thought he was going over my life insurance policy in his head) and when I ran back to the bed the bugger had crawled in between some folds of the sheet. I uncovered him, knocked him off the bed with the shoe and smashed the living daylights out of him.

I then went to inspect the damage. EIGHT stings altogether!!!!!! I put some anti-itch stuff on them, took an antihistimine and went back to sleep (luckily I was too tired to be creeped out that there would be more).

Up at 4:30 for practice and my tongue felt funny (tingley). (Husband did ask if stings still hurt). Breathing was not difficult, but felt different. I took it easy swimming, we did mostly drills anyway today. My tongue then swelled up (it felt bigger in the middle as the morning went on) and I took two more antihistimines and made it through the work day.

Living in Texas is fun.

Yikes what a nightmare! I hate stinging bugs as well as all kinds of arachnids in general...especially poisonous spiders and any kind of ticks! Thankfully I have not had any encounters with scorpions yet....My mom has encountered them before on her property in the Texas Hill country though....as well as rattle snakes and other unwanted intruders! Sorry about the 8 stings though Kathy....ouch! I'm sure it was very painful!
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

"24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

Blog Entries

No chocolates or backrubs either!!!! Next time the shoe just might 'slip' from my hand . Thanks Barb, I will mention this, my last bee-sting made me swell unusually also. I worked at a hospital at the time and they told me to be real careful if I ever get stung again. (That was over 20 years ago). Stings have developed into hard little bumps that itch. I told someone at work that it was probably good that I was sleeping with my metabolism slow when I was stung or the reaction may have been worse by hitting my body faster. She replied that had I been awake I would only have been stung once!!! Touche!

I live on the edge of the hill country. We have had all kinds of critters in our house, even a bat once (still don't know how he got in!!!) We have had cows in our front yard eating our grass (they escaped from a nearby ranch). My dog once chased an armadillo that was under our bushes. There have been racoons, skunks, wild turkeys, and even an owl just outside our door. While cutting the bushes once, I found a live baby rattlesnake that had crawled into a hole in the window screen and was trapped between the window and the screen. (and while I love animals, he did not live to reproduce) We live on a normal neighborhood lot, but it is a small sub-division and there is lots of open land near-by. It has been a lot of fun (except for the scorpions) , but they are building new divisions all around us, so I am seeing less and less of the kind of critters that I like to see!
    Last edited by swim4me; August 31st, 2007 at 06:02 PM.
    If you want a place in the sun, you have to put up with a few blisters. Abigail Van Buren

This is another reason why,if you can only go to one Nationals next year it should be Oregon not Austin.I lived in Texas much of my life and am glad to be in a place without poisonous snakes,scorpions,fire ants,etc.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

This time of year here it's cicadas. You can scoop them out of the pool gutters by the handful.

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

Now Allen, you're not mentioning that Oregon has a killer...pinot noir.
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

Very Active Member FindingMyInnerFish's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cruise View Post
    Now Allen, you're not mentioning that Oregon has a killer...pinot noir.
    Drink enough of that and you won't care what stings you!

Yikes, Swim4me, sounds scary! One look at what stung me, and I don't think it would be stings alone that would have me at the dr.'s--I'd be having a heart attack too!

Glad you're okay!