Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tattoos on Swimmers

Re: Tattoos on Swimmers

Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler View Post
    I would not put graffiti on my car or my house, I'm not going to put it on my body either.

Apparently, I have vandalized my body! I have 3 and have never regretted any of them - the latest is rather large in the classic "tramp stamp" area (small of the back). It's a Tahitian tribal version of Scorpio. I got it when I finished my last residency month of training in the NICU. The pain of getting it was nothing compared to being on call for 36 hours straight in the ICU.

Personally, I just love blowing stereotypes out of the water. There are still plenty of people who still think that tattoo automatically = violent junkie gang member. Apparently tattoo can also = attending physician at academic center/open water swimmer!

I have made a deal with myself that I am not allowed to get any more tattoos until I swim that @#$%^& Chesapeake Bay 4.4!!!!
    Carpe Lacus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scwids View Post

I have made a deal with myself that I am not allowed to get any more tattoos until I swim that @#$%^& Chesapeake Bay 4.4!!!!
    Just dry off, eat and rehydrate first

Thank you, thank you...I'm here all week...

Blog Entries

Thought of the day...

Why is it that a guy gets a tat and it's either OK or at worse he's thought to be criminal. Yet, for a girl it equates to being a trollop? Why is it that a girl is just immediately thought to be a trollop? It's just a piece of body decoration like earrings, bracelets, ankle chains, belly rings etc etc. Surely this is the old double standard at work again...

Blog Entries

I am a big fan of tattoos. If I were more of a man, I'd have one. Do you have to stay out of the pool for X weeks when you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    I am a big fan of tattoos. If I were more of a man, I'd have one. Do you have to stay out of the pool for X weeks when you get it?

You're supposed to avoid chlorine for about 3 weeks after. I was only out about 2. It caused a few of the scabs to come off early and left holes in the colour where the ink didn't take as well, but they're easily fixable.

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

Get some dreck tatooed across your back...put a little fear into your triathlon opponents as you pass them.

I always said I'd get a tattoo if I broke 1:00 in the 100 free. Now that I have a daughter, though, I'm not sure that I really want HER to get a tattoo. Hmmm... and it would be kind of hard to argue the point if Mommy had one...

Regardless, the minute hasn't been broken yet so we'll have to wait and see.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seagurl51 View Post
    You're supposed to avoid chlorine for about 3 weeks after.
    I personally think that's an old wives' tale. I got mine in college and staying out of the water wasn't exactly an option. I was back in the next day and I don't think it affected the tattoo.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaFeisty View Post
    I always said I'd get a tattoo if I broke 1:00 in the 100 free. Now that I have a daughter, though, I'm not sure that I really want HER to get a tattoo. Hmmm... and it would be kind of hard to argue the point if Mommy had one...

Regardless, the minute hasn't been broken yet so we'll have to wait and see.
    I don't think it would be a hard arguement to make if it is to commemorate an accomplishment.

I'd probably get an M Dot if I did an Iron Man or a map of Manhatten if I swam around it, but those are easy. I don't know what would be appropiate for breaking a minute. If you wrote the time, what would you do if you broke it again?

The only other tattoo I'd get is the symbols that the Japanesse used to pronounce my Dad's last name when he was a POW during WWII (captured on Bataan). But I'd have to really trust the letters. I've heard that people who get oriental letters (even celtic symbols) are sometimes shocked by what they really mean!
    I keep telling my coaches, "I am a sprinter" and "they keep saying you swim short races, but that is not the same thing." - Some Girl

The men out there considering a tattoo and looking for ideas might want to search for puff the magic dragon. I think it would make a good start for somebody looking to get some "body art".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler View Post
    The men out there considering a tattoo and looking for ideas might want to search for puff the magic dragon. I think it would make a good start for somebody looking to get some "body art".
    Hmmm Go for it Geek. Prove how manly you are to us.
    "Squeal like a pig!" across your chest would make for an awesome tattoo...

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    Hmmm Go for it Geek. Prove how manly you are to us.
    "Squeal like a pig!" across your chest would make for an awesome tattoo...
    No, that would a Tramp Stamp. I think I hear a banjo!

"Boy you got perdy teeth..."

</IMG>
    I keep telling my coaches, "I am a sprinter" and "they keep saying you swim short races, but that is not the same thing." - Some Girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slowswim View Post
    But I'd have to really trust the letters. I've heard that people who get oriental letters (even celtic symbols) are sometimes shocked by what they really mean!
    When I lived in California many years ago I would see Japanese tourists wearing t-shirts bearing English phrases on them that were complete nonsense. I wonder about the same thing when I see someone sporting a tattoo containing Asian glyphs.

Skip Montanaro

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slowswim View Post
    I'd probably get an M Dot if I did an Iron Man or a map of Manhatten if I swam around it, but those are easy.
    Another of my pet peeves, can't you folks think of anything more creative than the Timex logo for a tattoo? I always snicker when I see the Timex tattoo on folks instead of doing some neat tat to commemorate the accomplishment. I'm the same way about the trendy (but now silly) tribal armbands and the tramp stamp, nothing unique about those, just another member of the pack.

I like the idea of the Manhattan island tattoo, that's pretty good. Maybe I'll start putting posters I've shamed on my body, first gull, soon stud, although Fort would dust me in the 50 fly.

Blog Entries

How about the little Olympic swimmer icon with

100 < 1:00

underneath it?

Skip

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
    How about the little Olympic swimmer icon with

100 < 1:00

underneath it?

Skip
    I like that but Stud couldn't get it.

Here's info about mine:

What: Beautiful Butterfly
    Where: Left Hip
    Why: The Bikers at the bar told me it was $15.00
    When: 1970

Note: Now that I am a much larger gal, my butterfly has morphed into a full-blown American Eagle. The word "appreciation" rather than "depreciation" comes to mind.

Donna
    Insanity is hereditary--you get it from your kids

heehee, good point re: the accomplishment, but not sure if a sub-minute 100 ranks up there with ironman or swim around manhattan!

and I was thinking a fish. want to talk about un-creative!

Quote Originally Posted by aquaFeisty View Post
    heehee, good point re: the accomplishment, but not sure if a sub-minute 100 ranks up there with ironman or swim around manhattan!
    and I was thinking a fish. want to talk about un-creative!

Perhaps not...but in LCM, a sub minute 100 is pretty impressive by my standards. Obviously, this would all be meaningless to the majority of those who would see the tattoo in question.

Hopefully Geek will have his Gull, Stud, and Fort tatoos inked in for Austin 2008.

Very Active Member

I am so glad I didn't cave to peer pressure and get a Longhorn tattooed in my private area in college. I was *thisclose* to doing it my sophomore year.

I wrote a story about people getting, then removing, their tattoos. That convinced me to never, ever put ink in my skin.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast