Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos on Swimmers

DeletedAccount

Re: Tattoos on Swimmers

What: Hammerhead shark/Great White shark tooth
    Where: Back/Calf
    Why: Makes me swim faster...

Getting a Great White on the other side of my back next week and have an appt. to get a Tiger shark in April '09, along with the Hammerhead and Tiger teeth.....

Here's a pic of the Hammerhead: http://www.outpost31.com/todd/images...headTattoo.jpg

19 years old - one night a few friends decided we would get tattoos over dinner. We all talked about what we would get and where. It was a odd time in my life where I was lost in many respects. Winnie the Pooh was the thing that always put a smile on my face. Even his cute little songs used to make me laugh and sayings always spoke to me. If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you. So with that said, Winnie the Pooh is located on the inside of my right hip bone.

24 years old - It all started with me agreeing to go with a friend while she got a beautiful dragon on the base of her skull / neck. The work was very very detailed and it was going to be an all day job. About 3 hours into her work, looking for something to do, I started flipping through magazines and photos. And then decided that I would like a "little butterfly". We drew it up, and a few hours later I was inked on my lower back.

I have to say I am not the fan of the title "tramp stamp" as not everyone that has a tattoo in that area is a tramp.
    "The water is your friend... you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move". Alexandr Popov

Blog Entries

There is this guy who shows up to my Master practice and he seems to be going for the Tommy Lee/Travis Barker effect. I just don't get why someone wants to be all inked up like that and the money he spent on it must have been insane.

At 19, I thought about getting a tattoo on my stomach if I ever got a flat stomach. But, the thing is that I did have the flat stomach even though in my mind, I still flat doughy. Of course, right now, I am doughier than dough. Now, I am not into getting tattoos. Who knows, I might change my mind at 50 when I am going through my mind life crisis.

I am baffled that Angelina Jolie tatts up that beautiful body of hers.

Women with big tattoos on their arms is not attractive.

Very Active Member jim thornton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I went in to pick up a pizza the other day, and the girl at the register had a barcode tattooed on her neck. I had never seen one of these before, though I have subsequently learned from a tat addict friend that these are kind of a cliche. Anyhow, I asked her, "How much are you?"

When she figured out what I was talking about, she said her boyfriend actually used a barcode scanner on her once to find out.

"It came up 'ERROR'," she said.

Ande, maybe you can work this into your song somehow.

For what it's worth, it makes one wonder what the Nazis would have done with barcode tattoing technology in their day.

A couple tattoo pieces of lore that I have heard that may or may not be true:

Many WWII guys got them to make body identification easier in the event of explosions.

Public health clinics, at least a couple decades ago, were warned that men with three or more tattoos, and women with two or more, had a much higher chance of being sociopaths than those not meeting these criteria

Virtually every American male bankrobber has at least one tattoo.

That little cross with the teardrop-like rays of light means the wearer hates black people.

One last thought: in 1976, while wandering the streets of Anaheim with $1.17 to my name, I passed a very spooky Manson girl with one of those X's tattooed on her forehead. I wonder how she looks today?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michelina View Post
    I have to say I am not the fan of the title "tramp stamp" as not everyone that has a tattoo in that area is a tramp.

Please do not spoil the illuision for the rest of us!

Very Active Member

One of these days I'd love to ask a dermatologist his/her opinion of those huge tattoos that cover vast areas of the body. I mean, skin is the largest organ, right? So how does it affect it to inject ink into a large percentage of it?

the baboon from Lion King lower back - because I liked the movie and when I saw it again with my now wife in an outdoor theatre I thought that it would be a good tat.

wolf face/head right quad - wanted something to do with my school, but at the same time didn't want a huskey so got a wolf

fish left ankle, something to do with swimming

chinese symbol for tiger upper back/neck - birth year

chinese symbol for rooster and a rooster - right ankle for my first daughter.

saving up for two carp in a ying yang since my second daughter is a piscies (year of the rat, but couldn't find a rat pic I liked, so going with her zodiac instead) it might serve as a cover up for my tiger symbol since I'm not sure I want visible tatttos at work, only on my free time.

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    Please do not spoil the illuision for the rest of us!
    Yeah yeah yeah....
    "The water is your friend... you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move". Alexandr Popov

I've been going back and forth about this one for a while. I've decided to go forward with it, once I can find the symbols I want. It's going to be two fish in the configuration of the Pisces symbol, with 2 Japanese or Chinese characters in the middle. I'm having trouble finding the symbols. They are my message to myself and the whole design has a deeply spiritual meaning for me and honors my belief system. I've earned this tatoo as much as I've earned my scars. And yes I'm a woman.

Very Active Member

No tats, although I got some good scars from mountain bike wrecks that I proudly wear. I have no desire to ink my skin either, just not my thing.

I think tattoos are disgusting and low-class but people can do with their bodies whatever they want. Just don't expect me to find them attractive ;-)

Right now I think they are a fad that is starting to wane. In AZ, a lot of people have them but I also know of some people who are getting them removed now. Whatever, not my thing.
    Doug Adamavich

Quote Originally Posted by islandsox View Post
    Here's info about mine:

What: Beautiful Butterfly
    Where: Left Hip
    Why: The Bikers at the bar told me it was $15.00
    When: 1970

Note: Now that I am a much larger gal, my butterfly has morphed into a full-blown American Eagle. The word "appreciation" rather than "depreciation" comes to mind.

Donna
    Mine is in the same place. It's my husbands name with vines wrapped around it.

After two kids it's not looking so hot. But oh well. I don't regret it.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Adamavich View Post
    I think tattoos are disgusting and low-class but people can do with their bodies whatever they want. Just don't expect me to find them attractive ;-)
    That's funny. I find being closeminded and superficial disgusting and low-class.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by some_girl View Post
    That's funny. I find being closeminded and superficial disgusting and low-class.
    Whoa there...guess one can't disagree without being labeled. Isn't that closemindedness instantiated?

Sheesh! Did not know my opinion carried so much weight, maybe I should switch to politics

Guess some people prefer to disagree in a disagreeable manner. No matter, I will continue to post and share my opinions. Anybody can choose to disagree with them since this is (for now) a free country.
    Doug Adamavich

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Whoa there...guess one can't disagree without being labeled. Isn't that closemindedness instantiated?

Sheesh! Did not know my opinion carried so much weight, maybe I should switch to politics

Guess some people prefer to disagree in a disagreeable manner. No matter, I will continue to post and share my opinions. Anybody can choose to disagree with them since this is (for now) a free country.
    Guess irony doesn't grow in the desert either.

So you find tattoos disgusting and unattractive, big deal. But in the same breath you call those with tattoos low-class.

Talk about being disagreeing in a disagreeable manner!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToddCameron View Post
    What: Hammerhead shark/Great White shark tooth
    Where: Back/Calf
    Why: Makes me swim faster...

Getting a Great White on the other side of my back next week and have an appt. to get a Tiger shark in April '09, along with the Hammerhead and Tiger teeth.....

Here's a pic of the Hammerhead: http://www.outpost31.com/todd/images...headTattoo.jpg
    The hammerhead is cool, but why do you have an appointment to get a tattoo 6 months in advance? I didn't make an appointment for any of mine (4).

Blog Entries

There are two reasons I've never gotten a tattoo. First, I'm a big chicken. Second, I don't think I could stay out of the water long enough to not negatively impact the tattoo. I'm not a big fan if the tribal stuff.

I, too, found Adamavich's comment strange and rather bizarre.
    Last edited by aquageek; October 13th, 2008 at 06:05 PM.

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

A few observations from someone who has seen more tatoos than any 3 forumites:

Tatoos never look good on old people.

I saw a tatoo on a lady's ample buttocks last week (please don't make me recall the horror of why I had to be there in the first place). It meant to say "kiss my country ass" but was spelled wrong--who said irony doesn't grow in the desert (it flourishes along with festering wounds).

I don't get a tatoo for the same reason I don't drive a DaeWoo--I'm a snob, and I guess, equally closed-minded to writing/drawing on my body and Korean engineering--to each his own.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Not getting tattoos doesn't make you closed minded. Thinking everyone with a tattoo is a potential criminal and piece of trash makes you closed minded.

DeletedAccount

Quote Originally Posted by mjgold View Post
    The hammerhead is cool, but why do you have an appointment to get a tattoo 6 months in advance? I didn't make an appointment for any of mine (4).
    Thanks! Because my artist is quite in demand, he is currently not even taking new clients. I booked the tat I am getting tomorrow back in Janaury, and I was super lucky to get in this year....

Can't wait to have my 3 sharks...!!!!
    T

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast