Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun, and Fast

Re: Fun, and Fast

Today, from speed to resistence (strengh)

400 warm up IM + 4x100 kick internal descend (1'50'') + 8x50 drill (rec 10'')
    4x12,5 C3 (10'') + 50 easy
    2x[
    2x25 (35'') + 50 easy
    50 (1') + 50 easy
    75 (1'30'') + 75 easy
    50 (1') + 50 easy
    2x25 (35'') + 50 easy]
    200 easy
    Tot. 2.600

1 part qick butterfly - 2 free....

...just swim...

Quote Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
    Yes, that's a great set, perhaps tomorrow I'll give it a go. Please keep the sets flowing, I really appreciate this.

Today I did this work-out

LCM
    3x200 easy free
    6x100 on 1:40, average 1:08's
    200 easy
    6x100 on 1:40, average 1:05's
    200 easy

How many bpm did you have during those sets? tnx (i'll do it today )
    ...just swim...

Yes, beats per minutes, heart rate. I use to count (and make count) it.
    I'm a coach, professional team and master.
    In italy we have different school. Politicaly, old trainer use to write program with a lot a km per days.
    I'm chiainging it, expecialy for master atlethe.
    Good luck for your "swimmin' job".
    ...just swim...

Swimming has always been my life's focus but sometimes you have to change your focus mommentarilly and sometimes more than mommentarilly.

BPM, SDK, SPM, - HTH is the most important. If the HTH is not high enough it is not good.

BPM... Beats per minute? My heart rate...? I'm not sure... it was beating pretty good, but not too hard... You coach in Italy? I'll be honest, I'd like to make swimming my life's focus... I know not everyone feels the same, but it's the one thing that makes me feel that good. Why not live doing what makes you happy? Money isn't happiness, but I need it to swim more, that's all I know.

maori

Do you know my friend GUILIO TRAVAGLIO a great Italian Marathon swimmer from the 60s.
    Last edited by geochuck; May 2nd, 2008 at 07:00 PM.
    Keep it simple
    George Park

New Bottom Line Pricing http://www.swimdownhill.com

Quote Originally Posted by maori View Post
    Yes, beats per minutes, heart rate. I use to count (and make count) it.
    I'm a coach, professional team and master.
    I tried your set today... It was great, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by maori View Post
    Good luck for your "swimmin' job".
    Thanks. Yet, it is more than that for me. Swimming provides meaning to my life, and helps to make me better in other areas. The motivation to do well in life is enhanced by the healthy lifestyle of swimming.

I'm considering a few different meets this summer, so the training continues...

SCM

200 Reverse IM drill
    100 Kick
    200 IM swim moderate
    50 kick

6 X (4x25 on :45 IM +50 kick) all strong
    3:00 rest between sets

6x50 with fins on 2:00, head-up free with dolphin kick

2x200 DPS, (count strokes, reduce as much as possible)

Participating Member

[quote]
    if your event is over
    100, than you may want to consider the
    traditional work-outs

This is very interesting. I came back to interval training and competing in meets 2 years ago after a 25 year hiatus. My best races are the 200 and 400 IM. I never was a sprinter back in the day, owing mostly to small stature (although I had decent speed as an age grouper before everyone else got bigger). I'm pleased with the progress I've made this year (1:04 to 1:01 in the 100 Fly, 2:27 to 2:18 in the 200 IM and 5:25 to 5:06 in the 400 IM) but I've been frustrated with the shorter races (can't break 29 in 50 Fly and 26 in 50 Free). Do you think that it is a good idea to incorporate this kind of workout say once a week to try to reawaken fast twitch muscles and get the "feel" you talk about? BTW I did 400 ez warmup, 200 kick n/b balance, 10 X 25 all out on 3:00, 200 ez this morning and it was very challenging (and fun). Now to go and buy some finz.

1:01 for the 100 fly is very respectable! Also, 2:18 200 IM as well, you're a well-rounded swimmer...

but... but... you want more speed... in the 50. You know, the 50 is such a silly event. Even a football player can throw on some speedo's and rip up a decent 50...

However if you really want to put some fast 50 times on the board I'd focus on just that for 4-6 months... You can go back to the 100-200 later, but just do 10-15m sprints, everyday or every 2nd day, 15m starts, turns, clean swimming, all with a stop watch. Balance that with Distance-per-stroke work, count strokes for a 50, and bring the total # as low as possible. Don't think of it as swimming, think of it as stretching in the water, walking with elongated stride, very very slowly.

[quote=jtbinh2o;133861]
    This is very interesting. I came back to interval training and competing in meets 2 years ago after a 25 year hiatus. My best races are the 200 and 400 IM. I never was a sprinter back in the day, owing mostly to small stature (although I had decent speed as an age grouper before everyone else got bigger). I'm pleased with the progress I've made this year (1:04 to 1:01 in the 100 Fly, 2:27 to 2:18 in the 200 IM and 5:25 to 5:06 in the 400 IM) but I've been frustrated with the shorter races (can't break 29 in 50 Fly and 26 in 50 Free). Do you think that it is a good idea to incorporate this kind of workout say once a week to try to reawaken fast twitch muscles and get the "feel" you talk about? BTW I did 400 ez warmup, 200 kick n/b balance, 10 X 25 all out on 3:00, 200 ez this morning and it was very challenging (and fun). Now to go and buy some finz.

Participating Member

Thanks for your kind words. Of course 1:01 in scy is not the same as LCM! The beauty of swimming is that for all of us it is relative. I will say that since I've started back at this I'm not quite as well rounded as I was and this is a good thing. Thanks also for the sprinting suggestions. I don't swim long course in the summer (maybe next year) and I'm involved in a local league which has recently been started to extend Country Club and Sub-Division kid swimming to adults. There is a 100 IM and a 200 Free on the program but the other races are all 50's so I need to be speedy this summer. Beyond that I think that I need to get out 2-3 seconds faster in the first 50 of longer races to continue improving. When I was 19 I went around 2:00 in the 200 IM and 53 in the 100 Fly (scy). I'd like to believe that I could go in the 2:10, 56 range next year. Happy swimming!

Quote Originally Posted by jtbinh2o View Post
    Thanks for your kind words. The beauty of swimming is that for all of us it is relative. Happy swimming!
    Ya, that's right...!! The joy is the same when you have done well in the pool, whether it's an age-group state/provincial meet, jr.national, national, olympic or masters... when you earn a good performance you feel it... You can't deny that feeling, or even the flowing feeling of the water, even when you're swimmin' slow, it is enjoyable - worth the effort... and hey, if you can break personal bests, then do that!

Today's work-out
    SCM

3x200 DPS freestyle
    8x50 kick on 1:20 IM order

4x(4X50) freestyle
    descend 1-12
    4 on 1:00 Average 40's
    4 on :50 Average 36's
    4 on :40 Average 31's
    3 easy on 1:20
    2 minutes rest
    1 x 50 fast from push 25.63

200 easy, double arm backstroke

CreamPuff

deleted
    Last edited by CreamPuff; May 24th, 2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Fun and Fast = Sprint

Whoa!! That looks like a pretty intense work-out! I ?might? be able to hold those pace times, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to swim a length of fly the next day.

Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by (S)he-Man View Post
    Fun and Fast (intervals) Fly Set

Long Course Meters

After a warm up, SR I did this today (masters may want to cut in half or skip the 200s)

20x25 Drill Fly: Pull fly/ kick free @ :30 Focus on fast hands
    6x100 Odds: Free @ 1:20/ Evens: Fly @ 1:30

20x25 Drill Fly: 8 SDKs off the wall followed by 4 fly strokes no breath @ :30
    6x200 Odds: Free @ 2:40/ Evens: Fly @ 3:00

8x100 Fly Drill: 6 SDKs and 3/3/3 (3 right/ 3 left/ 3 full stroke) @ 1:40

10x50 Fly Swim @ 1:15 FAST

This was very fun for me as I was surrounded by very fast butterflyers. I realized I never trained fly in my life. Was nice to keep up.

CreamPuff

Whoa!! That looks like a pretty intense work-out! I ?might? be able to hold those pace times, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to swim a length of fly the next day.

Well done!
    Thanks Jonathan. I think you would be able to do it if you really wanted to. But, really, other than pure enjoyment, I'm not sure what the point is.

The drills were actually very good. I was happy to be able to do the SDK and breath control without issue.

Frankly, I could NOT do your dryland/ weight routine. Your flexibility exercises inspired me to stretch every day, and it has already made a difference this past week. I'm not sure if it's totally due to stretching (I used to be a gymnast as a kid and then slacked off from stretching recently), but I'm faster in practices AND I'm not sore even with weights twice a week. Also, my coach doesn't let me do LC doubles as he said I won't be able to recover like the kids. He's a pretty smart guy. Ah well.

Tough like a donut
    Blog Entries

This was very fun for me as I was surrounded by very fast butterflyers. I realized I never trained fly in my life. Was nice to keep up.

OH.....MY......LORD.......

That would cause my arms to fall off, crawl out of the pool and go dig a hole and bury themselves. You had my respect before this but now I'm frightened of you . I still can't do much more than 4 50s Fly on interval in YARDS before I'm completely spent. The idea of doing it LCM minds the boggle.

Paul

Paragon / Swimming Virtue
    Blog Entries

Long Course Meters

After a warm up, SR I did this today (masters may want to cut in half or skip the 200s)

20x25 Drill Fly: Pull fly/ kick free @ :30 Focus on fast hands
    6x100 Odds: Free @ 1:20/ Evens: Fly @ 1:30

20x25 Drill Fly: 8 SDKs off the wall followed by 4 fly strokes no breath @ :30
    6x200 Odds: Free @ 2:40/ Evens: Fly @ 3:00

8x100 Fly Drill: 6 SDKs and 3/3/3 (3 right/ 3 left/ 3 full stroke) @ 1:40

10x50 Fly Swim @ 1:15 FAST

This is a hard set, but it doesn't really belong in a sprinting thread. Faster intervals cause slower swimming.

CreamPuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands View Post
    This is a hard set, but it doesn't really belong in a sprinting thread. Faster intervals cause slower swimming.
    Sorry about that everyone! First, I didn't realize this was a sprinting thread.

Second, again, "my bad," as I absolutely know NOTHING about sprinting - particularly fly sprints!

I will attempt to delete.

CreamPuff

Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66 View Post
    OH.....MY......LORD.......

That would cause my arms to fall off, crawl out of the pool and go dig a hole and bury themselves. You had my respect before this but now I'm frightened of you . I still can't do much more than 4 50s Fly on interval in YARDS before I'm completely spent. The idea of doing it LCM minds the boggle.

Paul
    Hey Paul,

You could totally handle it. BTW, aren't your times very, very quick as it is!? I need to get on board with whatever your weight routine is! Actually, I could NOT handle that!

Title of the Thread was Fun - which it was and Fast - which it was as well.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast