Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun, and Fast

Paragon / Swimming Virtue
    Blog Entries

Re: Fun, and Fast

Quote Originally Posted by (S)he-Man View Post
    Sorry about that everyone! First, I didn't realize this was a sprinting thread.

Second, again, "my bad," as I absolutely know NOTHING about sprinting - particularly fly sprints!

I will attempt to delete.
    I don't think there's a need to delete. It's actually informative of how diverse training styles can be. Compare your workouts to what Jonathan does. He's using very large rest intervals so that he can sprint very fast. That's the idea of this thread.

You just train differently, although my guess is your sprints would be faster if you did some real speed work. You're trying to be full-spectrum freestyler, aren't you? You have endurance pretty well covered with your training volume, but the shorter events require a different kind of training.

Oh, I bet you could do my program, and go faster.

Thanks Jonathan. I think you would be able to do it if you really wanted to. But, really, other than pure enjoyment, I'm not sure what the point is.

The drills were actually very good. I was happy to be able to do the SDK and breath control without issue.

Frankly, I could NOT do your dryland/ weight routine. Your flexibility exercises inspired me to stretch every day, and it has already made a difference this past week. I'm not sure if it's totally due to stretching (I used to be a gymnast as a kid and then slacked off from stretching recently), but I'm faster in practices AND I'm not sore even with weights twice a week. Also, my coach doesn't let me do LC doubles as he said I won't be able to recover like the kids. He's a pretty smart guy. Ah well.
    Last edited by JMiller; June 23rd, 2008 at 01:47 AM.

It depends whether you think the 200 is a sprint, or not.
    What are your best events, by the way?

Sorry about that everyone! First, I didn't realize this was a sprinting thread.

Second, again, "my bad," as I absolutely know NOTHING about sprinting - particularly fly sprints!

I will attempt to delete.
    Last edited by JMiller; May 26th, 2008 at 12:17 AM.

CreamPuff

Quote Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
    It depends whether you think the 200 is a sprint, or not.
    What are your best events, by the way?
    I'd love to be in shape enough to consider the 200 fly a controlled sprint. Right now, it's a distance event for me.

Have no idea what my best events are. If I step up on the block and have a huge desire to race, I'll swim well.

Jonathan -
    I like the sets you post (pencil on 5x7 notecards works very well for a poolside memory aid!) and wonder if you will be archiving them elsewhere for reference?

I also like (S)he-Man's, mostly to stare at in wonder, so I hope to continue reading more of them, maybe on a dedicated thread? Those are some of the more unusual workouts I've seen!

Thanks,

VB

CreamPuff

You know in the past couple days this thread has seen an increase in views by about 300+, and I'm pretty sure the correlation has nothing to do with anything I've written.

You don't know what your best events are? Is that a coy way of saying you're good at everything? Just check the point charts, which 3 events do you rank highest?
    I think people are checking out your flexibility pics. I know I am. I'm an ex-gymnast and I still don't have half the flexibility you have.

he he. I suck at back and breast.

No. Don't know what my best events are. Just like to swim different things.

My top SCY Rankings to date for this season (not all the times are in) -

1650, 1000 fr, 500 fr, 50 fly - 1st; these were untapered swims but I was in mixed heats w/ men and I think this was helpful. 1st time ever swimming 1650 and 1000.

100, 200 fly - 2nd - tapered here

In looking at these swims, I fit meets in around my daily training. I LOVE my daily practices. BTW, did I say how cool it is to practice with the kids?

Paragon / Swimming Virtue
    Blog Entries

Kristina, I'm looking at your times, in particular a meet this spring where your freestyle times were:

1:59.86

I know you train for endurance, and this was a taper meet, right? If so, you are serious sprinter material. The 50 is just nasty, and the 100 is very impressive, but the 200 is weak by comparison. You hold up well in the longer stuff, and that makes sense with the kind of training you do, but you definitely have a sprinter profile.

I'm going to be a "real" sprinter this summer.

LCM at brophy Monday 11:30-1:30

20 minute warm up (I hung out on deck and talked smack to everyone, swam about 200m)

Main warm-up:
    3x thru the following:
    100 (IM or stroke) @ 2:00
    3 x50 (25 head up free/25 free) @ 1:00
    150 (build) @ 2:30
    4 x 25's (fly or fly drill) @ :30

Swim
    3 x 500 @ 8:00:
    100 stroke/IM-200 free-200 stroke (I used fins and went 15m underwater off every wall, took a long bathroom break on #3 and yelled at Sam Perry to man-up & work the walls)

Pull:
    400 lung buster
    10 x 50's @ 1:00 descent 1-5/6-10 (held 31's/32's 1-4, 29+ on 5 & 10)

Swim:
    4 x 50's fastest interval possible (our lane was :40)
    Sam & I went 1 easy/1 fast for time....went 26.1 50 free)

warm down
    I crack myself up. It is jealousy. It is Boredom. I Did not accomplish enough when I was young, and I hate anybody faster/younger than me.

CreamPuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands View Post
    Kristina, I'm looking at your times, in particular a meet this spring where your freestyle times were:

I know you train for endurance, and this was a taper meet, right? If so, you are serious sprinter material. The 50 is just nasty, and the 100 is very impressive, but the 200 is weak by comparison. You hold up well in the longer stuff, and that makes sense with the kind of training you do, but you definitely have a sprinter profile.
    Thanks Jazz.
    200 is weak b/c I never race it in meets. I need to get over the mental block I have about the 200 fr. 50 - fun. Distance - fun. 200 - painful.

Looks like a good work-out Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    I'm going to be a "real" sprinter this summer.

LCM at brophy Monday 11:30-1:30

20 minute warm up (I hung out on deck and talked smack to everyone, swam about 200m)

Main warm-up:
    3x thru the following:
    100 (IM or stroke) @ 2:00
    3 x50 (25 head up free/25 free) @ 1:00
    150 (build) @ 2:30
    4 x 25's (fly or fly drill) @ :30

Swim
    3 x 500 @ 8:00:
    100 stroke/IM-200 free-200 stroke (I used fins and went 15m underwater off every wall, took a long bathroom break on #3 and yelled at Sam Perry to man-up & work the walls)

Pull:
    400 lung buster
    10 x 50's @ 1:00 descent 1-5/6-10 (held 31's/32's 1-4, 29+ on 5 & 10)

Swim:
    4 x 50's fastest interval possible (our lane was :40)
    Sam & I went 1 easy/1 fast for time....went 26.1 50 free)

warm down

I think people are checking out your flexibility pics. I know I am. I'm an ex-gymnast and I still don't have half the flexibility you have.
    Swimming specific stretches are totally different than gymnastics. I wouldn't be able to do most of those stretches, because swimming is all I've ever trained for.
    Last edited by JMiller; June 5th, 2008 at 03:27 PM.

If you trained for sprint endurance, and forget about the 1650, you'd rock the 200 and it would feel easy in comparison.

Thanks Jazz.
    200 is weak b/c I never race it in meets. I need to get over the mental block I have about the 200 fr. 50 - fun. Distance - fun. 200 - painful.

Tough like a donut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands View Post

Oh yeah, nothing like having a smoking fast swim-chick beating down my doors in the 50 and 100. And crushing me in the 200. Not to mention the 1000 and 1650. Sigh.

But I did look at your 200 splits from that 1:59. You split that race very well but I think that you could drop each 50 by.5-.75 seconds and still have the same split pattern.

Paul

CreamPuff

Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66 View Post
    Oh yeah, nothing like having a smoking fast swim-chick beating down my doors in the 50 and 100. And crushing me in the 200. Not to mention the 1000 and 1650. Sigh.

But I did look at your 200 splits from that 1:59. You split that race very well but I think that you could drop each 50 by.5-.75 seconds and still have the same split pattern.

Paul
    Paul, you officially crush me in every event you swim. I just looked up your times. So about this weightlifting thing. . . Guess I had better start taking it more seriously. Is there room for a Ms. Hulk? Cause if I start sweating in the gym . . . there's no telling what I will turn into!

The 200 is odd for me. I hardly ever swam it as a Masters or USS. My inexperience shows. I do remember that 1:59 swim however. Keep in mind that my best time as a kid was a 2:02+. In March, I swam it fast enough to win the event. I knew I had the #2 seed from the 1st 50. I backed off. That was a mistake. I'm lazy. Need to work on that.

Have a USS meet this weekend. I'm concerned as I'm dead tired. Like that's a surprise. Should prove interesting. The psych sheets are scary. I'm an average swimmer. I think it's good for me though. Should be interesting to see if I fall apart mentally (due to being tired). Or perhaps I'll show I'm a bit better than a creampuff. Maybe a jelly donut. Should be fun regardless and I know I'll get to see some fast swimming.

CreamPuff

If you trained for sprint endurance, and forget about the 1650, you'd rock the 200 and it would feel easy in comparison.
    The 1650 is pretty darn fun to swim. I get to swim it with the men (as it's always mixed), and that's exciting.

The term "sprint endurance" sounds plain painful. We'll see. The kids do tons of training for the 100 and 200 free - so I'm getting a lot of it - like it or not.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm lazy. Need to work on that.
    The REAL reason you don't swim doubles surfaces at last!

Good luck in the meet. I'm sure your competitive juices will see you through.

SCM

3x200 dps

8x50 kick with finz on 1:20

next set all from push
    6x50 strong average on 1:30 averaged 28.2
    100 easy
    6x50 fast average on 2:00 averaged 27.7
    200 easy
    6x50 best average on 3:00 averaged 26.8
    100 easy

4x100 DPS

I actually had a girl try to psych me out in the 50 breastroke, that was pretty funny.
    Answer this, (now tell the truth) did she beat you.
    Keep it simple George Park
    New swimsuit styles http://www.swimdownhill.com

Blog Entries

Jeez... I come here looking for some workouts and all I see is butt slapping!!!

Quote Originally Posted by geochuck View Post
    Answer this, (now tell the truth) did she beat you.
    Did she win the race? You know, I'm not sure, but she did throw me off my game a little. I didn't really think about it after I messed up the start and underwater, I actually did like 3 dolphin kicks before I clued in that it was breasttroke. My Fiancee was laughing at me, (I sort of paused underwater for a few seconds trying to decide if I should finish the race, but then I remembered It's Only Masters. My first actual breastroke pull was about four feet underwater and it was a complete stop.
    Last edited by JMiller; June 5th, 2008 at 01:01 PM.

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast