Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun, and Fast

CreamPuff

Re: Fun, and Fast

Great story Jonathan.

Speaking of men and women swimming together. . .

All my #1 rankings (at least for now) were done when I was swimming in mixed heats and I had men to race. I find that to be interesting. You would think that would be disadvantageous to swim in heats full of men what with the added turbulence, bigger wakes and waves, etc. But, prior to getting more comfortable racing men in meets, I started racing everyone in masters practices regardless of gender and what kind of equipment they were using (fins, paddles, wetsuits). I think that was helpful. Challenging and difficult at times. Annoying, yes. But most helpful.

I will say that racing the kids (either gender) is much more intimidating than racing the men.

Quote Originally Posted by (S)he-Man View Post
    Great story Jonathan.

Speaking of men and women swimming together. . .

All my #1 rankings (at least for now) were done when I was swimming in mixed heats and I had men to race. I find that to be interesting. You would think that would be disadvantageous to swim in heats full of men what with the added turbulence, bigger wakes and waves, etc. But, prior to getting more comfortable racing men in meets, I started racing everyone in masters practices regardless of gender and what kind of equipment they were using (fins, paddles, wetsuits). I think that was helpful. Challenging and difficult at times.
    I'm not holding my breath waiting to see comments about "drafting off faster men .......... Was it Libby ex-Lenton and Phelps?............"

..... Where, Oh, where did I last see my swimming suit? Oh well!

CreamPuff

Quote Originally Posted by 3strokes View Post
    I'm not holding my breath waiting to see comments about "drafting off faster men .......... Was it Libby ex-Lenton and Phelps?............"

hee hee

Since I beat the men next to me in those events, I guess they were drafting off me.

Here's my 50 fly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KXLT...eature=related
    I'm in Lane 8. Lanes 1 through 7 were all men. Okay, start the jokes on my lack of SDK's. In my defense, I've definitely been working on them since that swim!
    Oh, but a special thanks to Speedo for designing the FS that makes me look just like a guy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
    SCM

next set all from push
    6x50 strong average on 1:30 averaged 28.2
    100 easy
    6x50 fast average on 2:00 averaged 27.7
    200 easy
    6x50 best average on 3:00 averaged 26.8
    100 easy
    Thanks Jonathan! I did this set today, except I went 2 x 50, 4 x 50 and 6 x 50 all backstroke.

(S)he -- If you're working the SDKs, make sure to work both the upsweep and downsweep. I wasn't working the upsweep and I'm trying to correct that. It seems much faster.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    Thanks Jonathan! I did this set today, except I went 2 x 50, 4 x 50 and 6 x 50 all backstroke.

(S)he -- If you're working the SDKs, make sure to work both the upsweep and downsweep. I wasn't working the upsweep and I'm trying to correct that. It seems much faster.
    Fort: try that kickboard drill, no knee bend, all hip-hump! I may try it and focus on the hip thrust down and feet up...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    Fort: try that kickboard drill, no knee bend, all hip-hump! I may try it and focus on the hip thrust down and feet up...
    I'll try it. I just don't like doing SDKs or dolphin kick with a board generally. Aside from boards stressing the shoulder and neck, I feel like my body is not in the right position to dolphin kick. Kicking on my side seems to help with focusing on the upsweep. It's made a big difference on backstroke; if I go too deep, I'm not "stuck" under water. Gotta work on my stomach more -- feels like I'm arching my back at bit.

Blog Entries

I don't agree with that drill as being the best way to do SDK's
    Actually, I think swimstud was just being silly as per usual..
    No I wasn't being silly...the per usual is a bit of a stretch (arrongant one too) since I don't post here much anymore. If you're upset about my previous good natured post about butt slapping, then sorry, but I came on the thread and looked for a "fast and fun" workout but didn't see any on the most recent pages.
    Glad your humourectomy was a success!

I agree, it's not the best way to do SDK's. SDK's are the best way to do SDK's.

The drill isolates (for me at least) the pelvis and abs and hits them different to full SDK and monofin. Emphasis on the pelvis and hips nothing else, the board is just a staibliser. I've found it helped my SDK...take it or leave it--what the hell do I know...

It might bother your shoulders Fort, but I try not to push down on the board at all...I don't even grip. I just lay my hands on it.

---
    Back to your thread, "champ" I won't post here again.

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    sorry, but I came on the thread and looked for a "fast and fun" workout but didn't see any on the most recent pages.
    Your apology is accepted.

Blog Entries

Your apology is accepted.
    ...anytime, your champfulness!

Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like this workout. Do you do the main set with finz? Or just the kick set?

SCM

3x200 dps

8x50 kick with finz on 1:20

next set all from push
    6x50 strong average on 1:30 averaged 28.2
    100 easy
    6x50 fast average on 2:00 averaged 27.7
    200 easy
    6x50 best average on 3:00 averaged 26.8
    100 easy

4x100 DPS
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

Hi,

Just the kick set on this work-out, but you could do the "best" set with finz, sure. You'll still gain from the effort. Actually, when I did this set I probably started out too strong, I should have held 30-32's, then 28-29's on the fast, and 25-27's on the best... I was just a little too keen... The last set had a few 25's, but a few slower... It would have been better to have a closer average on each set, and a larger range between them.

Quote Originally Posted by poolraat View Post
    I like this workout. Do you do the main set with finz? Or just the kick set?

CreamPuff

Kristina,

You're a very good swimmer... You're butterfly is nearly perfect. The only possible area of technical improvement is probably your kick, and the timing, but I wouldn't work too hard on that... Just focus on increasing the range of motion in your ankles, and the rest will fall into place.
    Thanks Jonathan. Yes. Kick and core are being worked on for the SDK and for the kick in general. My coach has me working on several things.

Off subject - My USS meet with the kids went quite well this weekend. Still took time off being tired and wearing a drag suit. Did a 1:08.1 in the 100 Fly - out in :31 and back in dead. It hurt! We did "chase starts" which was crazy. I had turbulence from the gal in the heat ahead of me - and I was in Lane 1 too boot. Had to kick hard lap 1 to get through her wake. I almost caught her. Sheesh. Was great to have whole heats of gals my speed! Went from 2:40 to 2:33 in the 200 fly. Did not hurt near as much as the 100.

Off subject - My USS meet with the kids went quite well this weekend.
    You've mentioned a few times about training and racing with younger athletes. How do you manage that? Time/schedules, etc.

CreamPuff

You've mentioned a few times about training and racing with younger athletes. How do you manage that? Time/schedules, etc.
    I have a very understanding USS coach and I have an amazing husband.

Swimming USS meets is more convenient than swimming masters meets IMO.
    There are more USS meets that are located less than 1 hour from my home than there are masters meets. Less travel and time is required. USS meets are run much more efficiently now than 20 years ago. And, they always fall on weekends.

Second, I do Human Resources contract work mostly from home. Being your own boss is much more conducive to feeding one's athletic pursuits. My schedule is flexible. The kids typically swim in the early AM in the summer and in the evening during the rest of the year (around business hours). And, if I absolutely cannot make their practice, I jump in with the masters group (2 to 3 masters practices are offered a day) or even with another USS group. As the kids have very hectic schedules of their own, the coaches are quite accommodating and incredibly supportive. The exception to this rule is the National group - they are required to attend all practices. I swim with SR I and there is more flexibility. The talent on both groups is very deep.

Blog Entries

Seems I recall that all your swims are meters. Those are good times. If I add about 5 sec (to the high end of the range for each set) it will be a good goal for me to work toward in my SCM workouts.

I should have held 30-32's, then 28-29's on the fast, and 25-27's on the best... I was just a little too keen... The last set had a few 25's, but a few slower... It would have been better to have a closer average on each set, and a larger range between them.
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

Ya, I'm lucky to finally have a girlfriend that appreciates how much training I need to do. It only took 30 years to figure out that swimming was a non-negotiable element. Life could have been much easier if I just realized that sooner.

I have a very understanding USS coach and I have an amazing husband.
    Last edited by JMiller; June 5th, 2008 at 12:49 PM.

That would be a good set... If you can hold 35-37 for 50's, that is very respectable... Compared to the general public, very few people become that proficient in swimming. What age-group are you?

If I add about 5 sec (to the high end of the range for each set) it will be a good goal for me to work toward in my SCM workouts.

Sunday long course at Brophy

warm up
    12 x 100's; 1 @ 2:05, 1 @ 2:00, 1 @ 1:55.....1@ 1:15

8 x 50's @ 1:15 IM order; 25 swim/25 drill

Main:
    4 x 200's free @ 3:30 descend 1-4
    1 x 100 kick @ 3:00

4 x 200's IM or stroke @ 4:15 descend 1-4

4 x 100's free @ 2:00 descend 1-4

4 x 100's IM or stroke @ 3:15 descend 1-4
    1 x 100 kick
    I crack myself up. It is jealousy. It is Boredom. I Did not accomplish enough when I was young, and I hate anybody faster/younger than me.

Blog Entries

That would be a good set... If you can hold 35-37 for 50's, that is very respectable... Compared to the general public, very few people become that proficient in swimming. What age-group are you?
    I'm 56. I've modified the main set slightly (see below) and will do it tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll let you know how it went.

SCM
    4x50 strong average on 1:30 goal 37-8
    200 easy
    4x50 fast average on 2:00 averaged 35-6
    200 easy
    4x50 best average on 3:00 averaged 33-4
    200 easy

Sounds good, I'm interested in how the set goes for you.

I'm 56. I've modified the main set slightly (see below) and will do it tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll let you know how it went.

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast