Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fountain of Youth

Very Active Member

Fountain of Youth

There has been a lot of discussion on this Forum about cheating elite athletes who use performance-enhancing drugs to beat their competitors.

For the purpose of playing Devil's Advocate, I want to suggest a hypothetical drug, purely for masters athletes, to see how we would react to its availability.

Suppose, in their quest for cosmetic perfection and physiological betterment in humans, the drug companies develop one or more drugs for the aging population that would:

1) increase the flexibility of connective and cushioning tissue in and around joints;
    2) reverse bone density loss;
    3) restore hormonal flows to their youthful levels;
    4) increase flexibility in the vascular system while removing unwanted plaque;
    5) restore visual accommodation to its youthful level; and
    6) many other things that my aging mind has long since forgotten.

Further, there are NO adverse side effects to the drug(s) except that they are very costly. Not everyone who competes will be able to afford the tab.

This is not a performance-enhancing drug in the same sense that those used by today's elite athletes are, where the body is added to in some way, but is clearly an enhancement for humans of your age cohort.

Would YOU, if you could, take this drug knowing that it would enhance your performance relative to your non-using competitors? Or would you choose to live out your life aging in the completely natural way?

As my 66-year-old body aches from developing arthritis and overused joints, I would opt to take the drug(s) if I could afford it (them). This betrays my own personal hypocrisy toward athlete drug users. Any other takers out there?
    Mel Dyck
    • Certified Level 2 ASCA Coach

Re: Fountain of Youth

A competitive edge isn't an issue for me (I'm not that good, I'm that bad lol), but I would consider taking something that would allow me to stay active past the time when my body would be begging me to cut down if I could afford it.
    "...it is but well to be on friendly terms with all the inmates of the place one lodges in."
    Melville, Moby Dick

Blog Entries

Mel...we have it already...Viagara!

CreamPuff

Quote Originally Posted by meldyck View Post

Further, there are NO adverse side effects to the drug(s) . . .
    When monkeys fly.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by (S)he-Man View Post
    When monkeys fly.
    Just remember, Kristina, that humans can fly and you and I both know some of them who are pretty close to monkeys when it comes to personal behavior!

Some of the drugs available today to me (and Rich...) would have qualified for the flying monkey category when I was your age.
    Mel Dyck

CreamPuff

Just remember, Kristina, that humans can fly and you and I both know some of them who are pretty close to monkeys when it comes to personal behavior!

Some of the drugs available today to me (and Rich...) would have qualified for the flying monkey category when I was your age.
    So true. So true. I hate to sound like an old fart at 35!

I think it's safe to say that nothing is for certain other than death and taxes.

1) increase the flexibility of connective and cushioning tissue in and around joints;
    5) restore visual accommodation to its youthful level; and
    6) many other things that my aging mind has long since forgotten.
    Human growth hormone does many of those things. Sure, I'd love it! Though not in a competitive situation where others would be hurt by my actions. Until then, we have .
    Regards, VB

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ViveBene View Post
    Human growth hormone does many of those things. Sure, I'd love it! Though not in a competitive situation where others would be hurt by my actions. Until then, we have .
    Regards, VB
    What you say is true. However, there are notable side effects for HGH. My hypothetical drug or drugs have no side effects. They just return you to your 20-year-old self, except that you would have the advantage of having lived many more years.

One then might be able to counter the saying that youth is wasted on the young...
    Mel Dyck

Very Active Member Leonard Jansen's Avatar

Would YOU, if you could, take this drug knowing that it would enhance your performance relative to your non-using competitors?
    Easy answer: Yes, I would take it and then request that I be allowed to swim the open water events (I don't really "do" pool...) that I love, but then request that race management strike my result. I get to swim, they get my money to support their event/charity, no one is displaced or loses an award and I'm not deluding myself or my competition.

-LBJ
    "Excitable boy" they all said.

Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar

I'm already taking them....but I can't divulge the details without having to kill you guys...sorry. Its all part of my master plan to one day rule the entire universe (Some 4-6 billion years down the road).
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

"24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

Interesting question.It is of course hypothetical,as nothing that is strong enough to have effects is strong enough to have side effects.There is a "drug" that is like that for men "of a certain age",testosterone.At my last physical(I'm 58) my testosterone levels were with in normal limits,but if the weren't I'd feel completely justified even though in those circumstances it would be "performance enhancing."
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

So is taking vitamins, eating right, avoiding stress, taking hormone replacement therapy etc.... "cheating"? They are "performance enhancing". I don't feel that it is inherrently wrong to do something that might make you feel better and have a better quality life! Your life and your health are much more important than how you are going to perform in a swim meet! If I had to choose between Estrogen and competing....you better believe I'd pick the Estrogen in a heartbeat!
    My goal is to die young as late as possible!

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Quote Originally Posted by swimr4life View Post
    So is taking vitamins, eating right, avoiding stress, taking hormone replacement therapy etc.... "cheating"? They are "performance enhancing". I don't feel that it is inherrently wrong to do something that might make you feel better and have a better quality life! Your life and your health are much more important than how you are going to perform in a swim meet! If I had to choose between Estrogen and competing....you better believe I'd pick the Estrogen in a heartbeat!

I totally agree Beth! You can never have to much Estrogen is what I have always said LOL! Maybe if the there were a little more Estrogen and a little less Testosterone in the world, we might not be trying to kill one another all the time over every little disagreement we encounter? Just a thought that is all....No need to get into a heated debate about it or anything....remember...control the testosterone levels guys o.k. LOL!
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

Hey....I'm out of Estrogen and I have a gun...watch out buddy!
    My goal is to die young as late as possible!

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Very Active Member jim clemmons's Avatar

Would YOU, if you could, take this drug knowing that it would enhance your performance relative to your non-using competitors? Or would you choose to live out your life aging in the completely natural way?

Any other takers out there?
    Yes, I probably would but I think it would be in the asterisk category.

Performance enhancement is not so important, give me life extension.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by swimr4life View Post
    Hey....I'm out of Estrogen and I have a gun...watch out buddy!

Hey Now.....Its not my fault about what happened on the field last Saturday LOL! (Sorry Beth....but I just had to slip that one in.....only jesting a bit now!...I still love you!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jim clemmons View Post
    Yes, I probably would but I think it would be in the asterisk category.

Performance enhancement is not so important, give me life extension.
    Me too, Jim! Sign me right up, Mel. Sign me right up for that estrogen too, Beth. I'm doing prolotherapy too, which probably falls in this category. Who wouldn't want to live a long healthy life, wholly apart from the racing benefits?

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    -- Source Unknown

Very Active Pirate Blackbeard's Peg's Avatar

Considering my current ligament situation, sign me up
    considering previous broken wrist situation, sign me up
    ask the blue muppet
    thankfully, knock on wood, nothing too bad yet. if this is preventative, sign me up!
    5) restore visual accommodation to its youthful level;
    It would be nice not to have to run back to my gear to find my glasses to check out the on-deck eye candy (read: blue muppet)

Since this is not a "performance enhancing" drug (sounds more like performance enabling), in short, Mel, SIGN ME UP! Insurance will cover this, right?
    Why do we always run out of rum?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Copeland View Post
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    -- Source Unknown
    We're already smart. We're masters swimmers.

Muppet: You need some prolo, dude. See Aug. 7, 2007 NYT Personal Health section, "Injections to Kick-Start Tissue Repair." Even the Mayo Clinic now says it may help with chronic ligament/tendon pain. (P.S. Blue Muppet is way too young and cute for that other stuff.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast