Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Women's Locker Room

Blog Entries

Women's Locker Room

Here's a thread for the ladies to discuss anything that relates to women and swimming. For example, feel free to discuss how disgustingly ugly fastskins are, how the "curse" can kill a meet, how suits don't fit, how swimming wrecks your hair, how hormones unhinge you, etc.

CreamPuff

Re: Women's Locker Room

Did anyone experience terrible side effects when going off birth control pills?

It wrecked my swimming for a couple of weeks. I was very fatigued, had headaches continually for 2 weeks, got terrible acne on my back, and was anxious, moody and bloated. If so, what did you use to help with the side effects? It's four months later and I'm feeling back to normal now.

Great idea. Wish I'd thought of it first.
    "...it is but well to be on friendly terms with all the inmates of the place one lodges in."
    Melville, Moby Dick

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ensignada View Post
    Great idea. Wish I'd thought of it first.

You could at least contribute something, missie. Or at least tell us who you think the hottest swimmer is. Peirsol perhaps?

I have been having the worst "old lady" symptoms. For example, when it's curse time, I can't sleep at all and get really moody and fatigued. I just realized that my next big meet, for which I'm planning to travel, is NOT going to fall at a good time. I'll have to take it out on SwimStud, since he's attending.

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

These things can be controlled via birth control pills.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler View Post
    These things can be controlled via birth control pills.
    Totally depends upon the woman. Some bcp make it worse. Effects everyone differently.

After suffering for awhile, I finally complained to my doc and he suggested I take yaz. I'm hoping it helps. So far, I'm nauseous as hell. I hope the side effects go away soon and my body gets used to it.

It's hard to suffer through meets this way though. One meet this year, all my friends had either PMS or the curse. There was much biyatching in the warm down pool. Quite frightening really.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post

You could at least contribute something, missie. Or at least tell us who you think the hottest swimmer is. Peirsol perhaps?

I have been having the worst "old lady" symptoms. For example, when it's curse time, I can't sleep at all and get really moody and fatigued. I just realized that my next big meet, for which I'm planning to travel, is NOT going to fall at a good time. I'll have to take it out on SwimStud, since he's attending.
    SwimStud can handle it - I think he plays the home version.

Hottest swimmer? No question, Phelps - but my mind can't go there for long since I'm old enough to be his mother.
    "...it is but well to be on friendly terms with all the inmates of the place one lodges in."
    Melville, Moby Dick

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ensignada View Post
    No question, Phelps - but my mind can't go there for long since I'm old enough to be his mother.
    Stick with masters swimmers then.

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

Not a woman but soap and a Mach3 work wonders in those areas. That's my tip of the day.

Blog Entries

I'll have to take it out on SwimStud, since he's attending.
    Jeez I'm SO looking forward to this meet...upside is if you take it out on me from the block end all my odd 25's will split very fast...

Blog Entries

After suffering for awhile, I finally complained to my doc and he suggested I take yaz. I'm hoping it helps. So far, I'm nauseous as hell. I hope the side effects go away soon and my body gets used to it.

It's hard to suffer through meets this way though. One meet this year, all my friends had either PMS or the curse. There was much biyatching in the warm down pool. Quite frightening really.
    I used to get THE most horrendous cramps/nausea after a race during AF. I'd be ok until about 5 minutes after a race and then the pain would hit with a vengeance to the point I thought I'd throw up. It would eventually subside about 20 minutes later. It was really weird, but I knew a few other people it would happen to. It was horrible. I haven't swam a meet with AF in years and I think I would just skip the meet completely at this age.

Unfortunately, I can't be on the pill since I have a clotting disorder.

Ah Fortress you crack me.

Sorry about the BCP. I had a hysto in 2001. OMG BEST THING EVER so no issues with that.

Though I hate being in the changeroom with all the gorgeous 18 to 22 year olds ( I swim at the University) who have those nice tight bodies where no 9 pound babies have come out of anything important lol. AH there time will come. I am definitly a little heavier than some. NOT overly round due to my height and build but big. BUT I don't hide while I change. I want to make sure they all know what they are instore for in the future .
    Ah you can tell it is Friday A beverage is definitley in store tonight.

Katie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slknight View Post
    I used to get THE most horrendous cramps/nausea after a race during AF. I'd be ok until about 5 minutes after a race and then the pain would hit with a vengeance to the point I thought I'd throw up. It would eventually subside about 20 minutes later. It was really weird, but I knew a few other people it would happen to. It was horrible. I haven't swam a meet with AF in years and I think I would just skip the meet completely at this age.

Unfortunately, I can't be on the pill since I have a clotting disorder.
    Swam my last 2 zones meet in the PMS stage. Intense sleep deprivation. Argh. But it would much worse during than before. I had actually contemplating canceling my travel plans. Not sure it makes sense to spend money to swim slow ...

What about black cohash or isoflavins? (S)he-Man was telling me about the latter.

Katie: Yes, it's beverage night. I'm having a GNO. Just put the hubby and youngest on a plane. Whoopeee. I'm sleeping in tomorrow too. Assuming I can actually sleep, that is. I aspire to sleep in!

Blog Entries

Girls,

Can you give us boneheads a glossary of terms, acronyms and abbreviations so we can keep up.

Think I have curse and AF understood.

Thanks

On behalf of the Boys.

Ahhhhhhhh I see She man was replying at the BC pills to. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM sorry did I tell you all that I had a hysterctomy OH YEAH

Katie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    Girls,

Can you give us boneheads a glossary of terms, acronyms and abbreviations so we can keep up.

Think I have curse and AF understood.

Thanks

On behalf of the Boys.

Curse is the only good word for that lovely time of the month. It describes it perfectly. You guys don't know how easy you have it. You don't have to plan your meets around the curse. Although I have heard some tris say there's some way to stop it for a big event.

GNO = girls night out

Katie: Stop that bragging!!

Blog Entries

You don't have to plan your meets around the curse. Although I have heard some tris say there's some way to stop it for a big event.
    You're right. I have to plan my LIFE around it.. are you kidding?!?

OK I'm done chiming in. I'll be quiet now.

Hysterectomy here too, Katie. My surgeon tried to "counsel" me on how I might feel less womanly etc - I burst out laughing. I love the "side effects".

Interestingly, it was that (and related) surgery that nixed almost everything but swimming as an intense physical activity. I started swimming the week she released me to normal life.
    Melville, Moby Dick

Barb

I got the same lecture to. I just sat there and thought OMG you are such a man ( which of course he was) yes I was younger to have one as well, but boy I have enjoyed every minute of it. Now that I have two teens with it , I think OH thank god that I don't have it to. Poor DH he would have to move. I wonder if I was as biachy as my girls are LOL NO of course not LOL.As I remember things I handled it all very well

Swimstud if you are a good smart man, of course you would plan your life around it. I think that would be a great time to travel with work LOL LOL

Fortress sorry for the bragging LOL

Katie

Blog Entries

I know nothing about womanly things but I do know that my wife got an IUD 3 years ago and no curses since, although she is a very stable person and didn't seem to have issues with PMS. I think the IUD lasts 5 years and then I'm due for a manly procedure.

Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast