Thread: Cat update and need some advice

Very Active Member FindingMyInnerFish's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cat update and need some advice

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all the words of support when my "baby" was sick. Thank God, she's now back home again, and doing well, much more alert and eating, all the good stuff!

But one thing I struggle with: I have to give her liquid antibiotic med, and yes, I looked at the cat sites, looked at videos--and yet when it comes to actually doing it, somehow I can't seem to get the hang of it... she escapes before I can actually position her right, and the more she escapes the more nervous I get and it feels awful to catch her to do this to her... I worry she'll stop trusting me. Yet I also know I need to give her the med. I had no luck today and I need to get some into her soon. It's making me feel very inadequate as a cat "mom" and I also worry I'll put her at risk if I don't give her some soon. And I know that when I tense up, she can feel it and hides from me, understandably.

What are your favorite strategies for successfully medicating your cats? (Yeah, I read that funny e-mail where you end up in the ER and all, but I'm really serious. I need to get this right.) Have others had this same problem. I kind of feel stupid, but never mind that. I have to do what I have to do.

Thanks for any help!

p.s. I asked the doctor if I could give it to her with food but he said no, directly into her mouth. (Drat, another option taken off the table!)

Blog Entries

Re: Cat update and need some advice

Really great to hear that your kitty is doing better. (A fellow animal lover, I grew up with cats and have a good way with them.)

That said...having done the medicine routine many times...the best way to get it done is by firmly grabbing their scruff (behind the neck). Most cats will freeze as they did when they were kittens. And if they try to fuss, it's difficult for them to do too much in this position. As much as you are looking for compliance it's not going to happen....especially with cats.

When you have her held by the back of the neck with your left hand...use your right hand to squeeze the dropper. Expect some complaining, but it's really important to get the recommended dosage into her. When the liquid meds have been thoroughly gagged on... she'll start licking and swallowing all of it. Even though it's not a pleasant experience for either one of you, she won't be angry for long. Some reassuring petting after each dose is a good idea. Besides, they know where all their love and food comes from.

Best wishes to you both.
    Excellence Is Never An Accident.

Blog Entries

Thanks, quicksilver! This time, my attempt was successful. I think what helped was just to recognize that no, she wouldn't care for it, but that we'd get through it. And gave her lots of praise after she swallowed the medicine--also a little REAL food. (I think the dr. just said not to put it into her food, but not that she couldn't take some food afterward. Hope I'm right about that.) She ate the food while casting baleful glances in my direction. But one dose down, at least...

Thanks again!

Hey there,

Sympathies on the cat meds. You have the best possible option for medicating a cat-liquid. I have to give my cat SubQ fluids twice a week and squirt her full of liquid meds twice a DAY! I find it easiest to just hold the dropper in my right hand and use my left hand to reach over her whole head with my thumb on one upper canine and my middle finger on the opposite canine. THis way I'm bracketing her skull and can just grip her upper jaw and gently traction it up so that she opens her mouth. Then I just squirt the meds in. It works really well and she never misses a dose.

Willow

Blog Entries

thanks, Willow... I'll keep that in mind for the next dose.

I also have to rub a little peroxide on the incision site. She doesn't like that either, but it takes such a short time I can slip some on before she realizes what's happened. Then she shows her disapproval.

But having a cat companion comes with these challenges and also a lot of blessings. They don't let us take them for granted, that's for sure! And anyone who's been chosen by a cat is a very lucky person.

Hope your kitty feels better soon!

Aw, my kitty is 18 and in renal failure, so she has to put up with my manhandling her and squirting thing under her skin and in her mouth for the rest of her life. But luckily she is an awesome cat who must understand that I'm doing it to keep her alive, she is pretty compliant. I have another cat who is VERY fractious about any medicating, so heaven help her if she ever needs any dosing, she is pure evil and turns into a blender on the end of my arm.

I'm glad your cat is on the mend!

Willow

Very Active Member

My cat, Rowdy, loved cream cheese, so we mixed his meds with cream cheese.

Blog Entries

Second dose of the day... I gave her a few cat treats afterward, so she forgave me... this time. But she was no happier the second than the first time. Squirmed but didn't bite or scratch, just meowed and squirmed. So I don't know if all the med. got into her, but the dropper was almost empty, and I decided it had to do for now.