Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol & Training

Alcohol & Training

I know alcohol can be detrimental to your health, but just how much does alcohol (even in moderation) affect a pesons ability to train? I have read an article which seems to suggest that major improvements can be made and sustained if alcohol is cut out of your diet. Something to do with B-Vitamin Deletion & Liver function.

Blog Entries

Re: Alcohol & Training

Quote Originally Posted by goggles View Post
    I know alcohol can be detrimental to your health, but just how much does alcohol (even in moderation) affect a pesons ability to train? I have read an article which seems to suggest that major improvements can be made and sustained if alcohol is cut out of your diet. Something to do with B-Vitamin Deletion & Liver function.
    Personal choice.
    If you're going to examine every aspect of your nutritional intake for optimum performance, then perhaps cutting out a beer or two will be part of the deal.

If you just want to do your best, train hard and such, but not have a restrictive and meticulously planned diet, then I say moderation and variety in all things.

If you're cutting out beer, but smoking 30 a day, living on ring-dings and McDonalds etc (ok perhaps a little extreme but you get the idea) the beer will be insignificant.

I still enjoy several beers/cocktails a week, and I am happy with my swimming progress. Cutting out booze alone, IMHO, won't lead to achievement of goals. At least that's how I see it, but it's your call in my opinion depending on your goals and idea of what "living" means.

PS I am averaging 3k a workout, 3x a week. I don't feel the booze I consume has a detrimental effect. OK if I got hammered on Friday night yeah it might be hard to get to the pool on Saturday.

I take your point, tanks.

I am not considering cutting it out completely, however I do notice that after meal & wine on Friday and beers on Saturday the Sunday training seems to be especially difficult, but by Tuesday I feel I'm flying along.

I don't think I have a restrictive diet. I eat well and generally don't do junk food, not because of health reasons I just don't like it.

That said, there are some swims coming up that I would like to do good times in & I may cut out alcohol temporarily.

Blog Entries

If you do a little research you'll see that alcohol in moderation can actually be good for you!!!!!

I drink a glass of RED wine almost daily.....good for the heart and for cholesterol.......
    "Your body will go places your mind never thought it would go, as long as you are mentally tough enough to push it, drag it or carry it there." Tracy A. Burkholder

"If it is to be......it is up to me!" Author unknown.... got it off the wall at Westminster School in Atlanta.

Breaststroke - For the swimmer who finds the other strokes too easy!!!!!!

Blog Entries

I take your point, tanks.

I am not considering cutting it out completely, however I do notice that after meal & wine on Friday and beers on Saturday the Sunday training seems to be especially difficult, but by Tuesday I feel I'm flying along.

I don't think I have a restrictive diet. I eat well and generally don't do junk food, not because of health reasons I just don't like it.

That said, there are some swims coming up that I would like to do good times in & I may cut out alcohol temporarily.
    It could be you just relax on Friday and have trouble getting energised to workout on Saturday...could be a mental thing too, so if not drinking ahead of competition helps you...then abstain.

Quote Originally Posted by tjburk View Post
    If you do a little research you'll see that alcohol in moderation can actually be good for you!!!!!

I drink a glass of RED wine almost daily.....good for the heart and for cholesterol.......
    My doctor told me I should have two glasses of red wine every night.

I must OBEY him!

I lost my sweet tooth years ago so I don't eat desert or junk food, but I'll order the 12oz Filet over the 8oz when out for dinner. So I guess it balances out.

I bet if I gave up alcohol completely, I'd lose the last couple of stubborn pounds. I think I'd rather just workout harder.
    I keep telling my coaches, "I am a sprinter" and "they keep saying you swim short races, but that is not the same thing." - Some Girl

Blog Entries

Bill, I totally agree......I like food way too much to give it up......I'd rather just swim a little extra and keep eating!!!!!

I had to give up my regular Filet that I love so much....cholesterol!!!!!!
    Steak is almost as bad as shrimp!!!! Shrimp are like mini cholesterol bombs!!!! I love shrimp!!!!!
    "Your body will go places your mind never thought it would go, as long as you are mentally tough enough to push it, drag it or carry it there." Tracy A. Burkholder

"If it is to be......it is up to me!" Author unknown.... got it off the wall at Westminster School in Atlanta.

"I bet if I gave up alcohol completely, I'd lose the last couple of stubborn pounds."

Have this trouble also, and considered if cutting alcohol out temporarily didn't reflect on my times it might reflect on my waistline! Either way a winner!

Blog Entries

"I bet if I gave up alcohol completely, I'd lose the last couple of stubborn pounds."
    I don't know...think it's more a total nutrition thing going on than just booze. Yes it will have a part to play but you have to look at your whole diet if you want to get ripped.

I had to give up my regular Filet that I love so much....cholesterol!!!!!!
    Steak is almost as bad as shrimp!!!! Shrimp are like mini cholesterol bombs!!!! I love shrimp!!!!!
    Shrimp have cholesterol? I've always assumed the shrimp, crab, and lobster were great sorts of protein without cholesterol.

Now I have a dilemma. If I give up shrimp, I may have to give my mandatory two glasses of wine that I love, but my waist and heart will be better.
    </IMG></IMG>
    I keep telling my coaches, "I am a sprinter" and "they keep saying you swim short races, but that is not the same thing." - Some Girl

Blog Entries

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...t/sr20a601.pdf

This is a pretty good source for what has what as far as cholesterol goes...

I was once told 1.5 oz of whiskie is a stimulant.

Old time marathon swimmers used to drink shots of brandy when they swam. They said it kept them warm. But it does have the opposite effect it sends blood to the surface of the skin and cold water cools the blood faster.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...t/sr20a601.pdf

This is a pretty good source for what has what as far as cholesterol goes...
    What's a good score versus a bad one?

Of course, eggs (one of my favorites) is bad. This eating right is going to kill me.

I once swam a race at Yale Universty after drinking 40 ounces of wine. I had trouble getting on the starting block but I did qualify for the final.

I do not recomend this.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Blog Entries

I am surprised the Cops didn't have you up against the bulkhead for that one George....SUI is a serious offense there buddy!!!!

Beer, wine, distilled spirits: no Cholesterol!! Its what and how much you eat with them that hurts you. So much for that old college addage of drinking on a full stomach.

Bottom line: Swimming is supposed to be fun. Keep the balance between work hard/play hard and all is well.

I wouldn't think of having a steak without a glass of wine. Everything in moderation.

Tree

Blog Entries

I totally agree Tree.......I have not...nor could I ever completely cut out a good steak..........like them entirely too much!!!! Shrimp too!!!!

Blog Entries

I've lost a good deal of weight in the past 18 months. Reducing my alcohol intake was one part of the overall plan. I do swim generally better and feel better but it's hard to pin that on alcohol. Swimming fully hungover is pretty miserable.

Totally giving up beer and scotch is just too much to ask a single person. So, I will have to live with whatever detrimental impacts remain from still having a few drinks.

CreamPuff

I found that the less I drink the faster I am (went :58 from a push at practice in 100 yd free today which is good for me). I'm also thinner - at a size 4 and high school weight. Right now, I average two drinks a week. The age groupers don't drink. And they are fast as heck. They can handle 2.5 to 3 hr practices and not die.

I like red wine but can't drink it at all. Give me migraines.

But, I doubt I'll cut it out completely. What fun is that? Hubby would prefer that we go out and drink more. But hey, he's lost 30 lbs. It ain't no coincidence.

CreamPuff

Oh yea. One more thing. Ain't no one gettin' in the way of my steak and shrimp!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast