Thread: Jury Duty

Hybrid View

Jury Duty

Stuck in Jury Duty for two weeks. Second day of sitting around waiting to be chosen from a Jury Pool. I do not know how anyone can sit in a cubby all day long and then be asked to make a serious decision about someone elses fate. Especially after a 15 mile drive that took an hour and a half due to traffic and heavy rain.

I would rather pull out all of my teeth. I know, it is my civic duty.
    Wherever you go, there you are

Re: Jury Duty

Yikes

That does not sound fun at all. Thankfully my job exempts me from ever having to do Jury Duty.

I hope it goes quickly for you.

Katie

Very Active Member

My county has a one-day, one trial system. You spend one day at the courthouse and if you're not picked for a panel--you're home free (for at least a year).

First two times--I was out by 2:30-3pm with not being picked for a jury panel (got alot of reading done). Third time--not so lucky---picked for a panel and had to spend 2 full days at the courthouse (for a lousy $9.50 a day plus mileage). Luckily we came to a decision or it would have been a THIRD day. At least I got a totally free lunch on the 2nd day as we deliberated. The first day--lunch was on us.

Yesterday, spent 6 hours listening to Prosecuting Attorney ask questions of jurors in a process called Voir Dir? I was one of 24 being questioned for a prospective jury. I was not selected. Back to the Jury Pool. Waiting, once again. Luckily, I have this nice, very slow turn of the century computer to use.
    Wherever you go, there you are

Very Active Member Leonard Jansen's Avatar

I've often thought that those programs that "scare kids straight" are redundant with the jury system. Those kids should be made to sit in on jury deliberations and see the yo-yo's who have your fate in their hands. Some of the reasoning and decisions I've been in on were terrifying. I'd be afraid to contest a parking ticket in front of a jury for fear I'd get the death penalty.

-LBJ
    "Excitable boy" they all said.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Jansen View Post
    I've often thought that those programs that "scare kids straight" are redundant with the jury system. Those kids should be made to sit in on jury deliberations and see the yo-yo's who have your fate in their hands. Some of the reasoning and decisions I've been in on were terrifying. I'd be afraid to contest a parking ticket in front of a jury for fear I'd get the death penalty.

-LBJ
    and so true.
    "...it is but well to be on friendly terms with all the inmates of the place one lodges in."
    Melville, Moby Dick

Brian:
    Thanks for doing your civic duty.

I know too many people who try everything and anything to get out of Jury Duty.
    I keep telling my coaches, "I am a sprinter" and "they keep saying you swim short races, but that is not the same thing." - Some Girl