Thread: Who loves Halloween

Who loves Halloween

Okay Halloween is a week away sooooooooooooo I wondered what you all do for it.

My husband LOVES halloween. He makes a big deal out of it. The house and costumes are a must. We live in a really tight small community. So he sets up everything in the garage. We have the kids treats all done up and there are special ones for kids with Peanut allergies. He then sets up treats for the adults. OH YES OUR HOUSE IS POPULAR. He does orange and purple jello shooters ( which he puts out in the shape of a jack o lantern ) and then he has wine for the adults. It is all very fun. We get about 200 kids so it is a good time. Everyone is walking and it is all fun. We are the talk of the neighborhood.

He puts one of those huge orange blowup pumpkins on our roof. You can see our house for miles.

He looks forward to it every year. My girls cringe as he never tells them what he is going to be. He loves to embarass them lol.

It makes for some good memories!

Katie

Blog Entries

Re: Who loves Halloween

We don't do much for Halloween except make sure we buy candy we like, save the best for last (so we have a better chance of getting some) and scour the post-Halloween candy sales for more of the good stuff. A necessary, but not sufficient, condition for candy to be considered good is that it must be made with dark chocolate.

Skip Montanaro

Very Active Member

I love Halloween, but we never get many kids in our older neighborhood. Last year the weather was bad so we got one, count em, one shivering child the entire evening. If I'd known she was going to be the only on, I'd have dumped the whole bowl of candy in her bag and just told her to go home and warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by cathlaur View Post
    OH YES OUR HOUSE IS POPULAR. He does orange and purple jello shooters ( which he puts out in the shape of a jack o lantern ) and then he has wine for the adults. It is all very fun. We get about 200 kids so it is a good time. Everyone is walking and it is all fun. We are the talk of the neighborhood.

Katie
    Well Katie, if your having Jello shooters I may have to head north for trick-or-treating! No wonder your house is popular!

Dana
    Twizzlers will be the ruin of Western society... or, at the very least, my waistline.

Blog Entries

The year I went as a Gladiator it was freezing. all I had on was a polyester tunic and man skirt thing...oh and fake armour...

hmmm maybe we need a fancy dress race at a Masters Meet....

"fancy dress" meaning "costume", not formalwear, right?

Stop tryin' to confuse the natives.
    "...it is but well to be on friendly terms with all the inmates of the place one lodges in."
    Melville, Moby Dick

Yes Dana we are very popular, come up North for visit LOL.

BUT you know it is fun. The police drive by and wave at us because we are good about it and having fun. No one is driving the kids are having a hoot and it is a nice wrap up to the summer fall season. Once the snow flies you barely see anyone til spring. It is just good ole fashioned fun.

Swimstud. LOL. I got the visual.

Ripple I think my hubby would be so disapointed if we did not get lots of kids. My oldest does not go out anymore and we have 2 years left for the younger one. I know he will still just love halloween

Yes the day after Halloween stuff is soooooooo cheap. Hubby usually gets some good Halloween decorations then.

Katie

Katie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ensignada View Post
    "fancy dress" meaning "costume", not formalwear, right?

Stop tryin' to confuse the natives.
    Fancy Dress is dressing up as s ghost or pirate etc

Formal Attire is just that Formal Attire

Brits don't use "fancy" other than "Fancy a pint/shag/curry?" or "She really fancies you!" of "Fancy Dress Party"

Blog Entries

.Swimstud. LOL. I got the visual.
    So why are you laughing?
    hmm I think I need to post pictures...

Oh sorry, nope I was not laughing

Katie

Very Active Member

I never liked it. The only good thing about it was that lunch time in grade school was extended so everyone could go home to put on costumes for a parade. We could trick or treat for two nights. For the second night my father would make us go through and pick out candy we didn't like & he gave it to those who came to our house on the seond night. We weren't allowed much candy either so what we got was always put away. Also, chocolate used to make me very sick. Now for some reason it doesn't. I still love those peanut taffy wraps though. I would hide them in my good shoes so no one knew I had them. On Sunday morning I'd have to get dressed for church before my brothers so they wouldn't squeal on me. They were 14 & 12 yrs older than I was.

Craig, I LOVED those peanut taffy things in the orange or black wrappers growing up. Now it's labeled as a crappy candy according to many of the kids I work with.

My vote for worst candy, EVER? Dots. Dots are, in my book, the worst candy in existence ever known to man. They may tie with Mike and Ikes. Pointless, crappy candy that only survives from people buying it at Halloween.

I'm a teacher, so Halloween is always my favorite time of year. The kids get SO EXCITED for it. And it's cute to see them all dressed up, feed them a lot of candy then send them home to mom and dad to get all the sugar energy out.

katie,

I love Halloween; that is my weddding anniversary and the one coming up will be 26 years. We used to always have a costume party on the 31st with piles of people. We lived in SF and those people don't even need a reason to put on costumes . When we moved to Dallas in the late 90s, we just went to dinner on that date.

But here in the Caribbean, we always make a full night of it; walking on the beach stopping in all the beach bars, sitting around a fire on the beach with drinks, etc. And enjoying the fact that we are still together after 26 years and reflecting on the happy changes!

I love Halloween!

donna
    Insanity is hereditary--you get it from your kids

Donna WOW you got married on Halloween. My hubby is going to be soooooooo jealous. Happy Anniversary. 26 years is wonderful. We will be 15 years in December.

Sounds like you have a nice night planned.

When did you move to the Carribean ?

Katie

Hi katie,

We moved here almost 7 years ago from Dallas; retired here. I'm in the Western Caribbean about 200 miles south of Belize. I chose Halloween for my anniversary so my husband would never forget it and it has worked!

donna
    Insanity is hereditary--you get it from your kids

AHHHHHHHHHHHH a method to your madness LOL. I should have picked Halloween for that very same reason .

Katie

Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar

Oh sorry, nope I was not laughing

Katie

Believe me when I say I was laughing my arse off when I read that LOL!....Actually SwimStud has a history of very cold temperatures and only wearing a small loincloth or less
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

"24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandsox View Post
    Hi katie,

We moved here almost 7 years ago from Dallas; retired here. I'm in the Western Caribbean about 200 miles south of Belize. I chose Halloween for my anniversary so my husband would never forget it and it has worked!

donna
    My parents got married the day before her birthday. Then one of my sisters birthday is the day after my mom's birthday and one of my brother's is the next. My father still could remember the dates. I think tha all men should be excused from having to remember any date but maybe Christmas. My mom always got a great Crhristmas present from my dad.

Swimmer Bill

About 10 years ago I attended an 80's theme Halloween party. I went as a female swimmer from the DDR, and didn't have to shave my armpits. There are some great blackmail pictures out there somewhere...