Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul's swimming blog

Tough like cottage cheese
    Blog Entries

Paul's swimming blog

It's not going to be as interesting as Ande's but I realized when I was powerlifting 10 years ago that this is the best way for me to track and evaluate my progress so here it is.

Blog Entries

Re: Paul's swimming blog

21 Nov 2007

SCY OMO

300 swim, 100 kick w/u
    6x100 Free on the 2:00, goal to hold 1:10, :06,:05,:05,:06,:06,:04
    50 EZ, 50 Kick
    8x25 Fly on the :30 - goal to hold :17 (I wanted to do it with fins but my left calf cramped up big time on the first one)
    50 EZ, 50 kick
    100 w/d

Trying to do a session during lap swimming is an exercise in frustration.

Paul

Blog Entries

23 Nov 2007

SCY with team

300 w/u
    6x75 Free on 1:15 - goal was to hold :55 and I was slightly under that every rep.
    6x50 (Fly/Back/Br)x2 on 1:00
    200 Kick - I have GOT to work my kick more.
    200 Pull
    6x50 Free/Stroke on 1:00
    3x50 Back on 1:00 - descend :41,:38,:35
    3x50 Free on 1:00 - descend :48,:34,:29
    6x25 Stroke - Back
    6x25 Free - descend to AFAP :21,:18,:16,:15,:14,:13
    100 w/d

Free is starting to feel really strong, I'm able to hold my times on reps better than I could before and I'm not as tired.

Look forward to reading.

Blog Entries

Today was a down day both mentally (no drive to be in the pool) and physically (right shoulder was hurting).

I think I over did it a bit this week as I raked about 12 lawn bags of leaves on Thursday. Plus I do not think that I am quite up to swimming 4x week.

24 Nov 2007
    SCM with team

500 w/u - I realized that my shoulder was not cooperating.
    4x200 Free Descend on 3:00 - completed the first one. Then sat out the 2nd 100 of the 2nd and completed the third. Got out on the 4th and did some additional shoulder stretches to see if I could get the shoulder to play along. On a scale of 1 to 10, it was feeling about a 6.
    100 Kick
    150 pull
    4x100 IM descend - 1st one OK. But on the 2nd Fly length my shoulder went to about a 3. So at this point I got out and iced it.

1400 in total

Not a very satisfying workout from both a mental and physical perspective but I'm going to rest it and come back on Monday and see how it feels.

Paul

Blog Entries

OK, back in the pool finally.

29 Nov 2007

Shoulder started at about a 6.5-7 on a scale to 10.

SCM with team

500 w/u (shoulder 6)

75x6 IM on 1:30 (shoulder 7)
    50x4 Stroke on 1:00 (Back) (shoulder 8)

25x2 Free easy on :30
    25x2 sprint kick on :30
    25x2 Free Sprint on :30 (shoulder 8)

100 Pull, 100 Kick

50x12
    1-3 Fly on 1:05 - right arm went to about a 4 so last 2 were 1 armed fly.
    4-6 Back on 1:00
    7-9 Breast on 1:10 - sat out one due to laughing/sucking water.
    10-12 Free on 1:00

25x10 Free on :30
    25x8 Stroke on :30 - Breast so it worked out to be about 3-4 seconds rest between reps. Only did 6 reps, sat out the first 2.
    25x6 Free on :30 - Worked on 1 breathing each
    25x4 Stroke on :30 - IM order
    25x2 Free AFAP - did both in about 13.5 or so.

100 free EZ (i.e. steerage <g>)

2850m

Got home, iced shoulder 3 cycles 15 min per cycle. PLus my wonderful wife went above the call of duty and gave my shoulder a very nice massage.

Paul

Blog Entries

Are you doing your rotator cuff exercises, eh? Speedwork and fly are hard on shoulders (in my experience), so give yourself some recovery workouts too.

Your team sure does a lot of sprinting for a masters team. Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing Paul. It is nice to see workouts from someone more my speed, so I can compare your workouts to mine. Please keep up as you can.

I've also had problems with my right shoulder, but I've never had anything done or had it looked at. I've taken off weights for about 3 weeks, and will probably stay off them until late Dec/Jan due to some upcoming travel. I hate doing fly to begin with, so I'll take any excuse to not do it, or sub in some breast instead.

Blog Entries

Fort: witht he RC stuff, not as often as I need to. I will be starting a dedicated weight training program next year and that will be a part of it. Yeah, the weekdays there are 2 workouts posted, one distance, one sprint. Take a wild guess which one I choose??? Weekends are the bummer cause it's only distance but that's the only workout(s) that I KNOW I can make so we'll see what happens.

aztimm: Thanks. I'm doing this because when I was competing in powerlifting 10 years ago, I found it helpful to do this and to also read the logs of others. Been in the pool little over 2 months now. I've been doing solely pool work, I haven't lifted anthing heavier than a Coke can in almost a year so I need to get weight work back in my diet. And to get a lot more core work in. Swimming is great and I've lost another 5-7 pounds since I started and adding weights will only help that process.

Paul

Very Active Member Redbird Alum's Avatar

Paul -

What age group are you in? Do you see yourself more a long axis (free/back) or short axis (breast/fly) swimmer? Just interested as it will help me gauge my workouts against your own.

I have to swim OMO all the time due to schedules and no close team, so I can relate to your comment about "lap swim" frustrations.

Thanks for posting!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird Alum View Post
    Paul -

What age group are you in? Do you see yourself more a long axis (free/back) or short axis (breast/fly) swimmer? Just interested as it will help me gauge my workouts against your own.

I have to swim OMO all the time due to schedules and no close team, so I can relate to your comment about "lap swim" frustrations.

Thanks for posting!
    Happy to help.

Well, using your terms I'm a mix. I'm a Free/Fly guy.

Currently 41 with about 2 months in the pool. 6'3" 260.

In a previous life, I was about 3/4 of a rung below the elite swimmers in the early 80s but never took it seriously enough to make that last step. Always relied more on strength than technique so this reinvention of a swimming 'career' has been both enlightening and VERY frustrating as I have been trying to break down all the bad habits of trying to 'power' thru the water and instead focus on gliding thru. Finally seemed to click on Free but the other strokes are still lagging.

My AIM info is in my profile and I'm more than happy to chat with you.

And swimming during lap swim?? ugh.

Paul

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66 View Post
    And swimming during lap swim?? ugh.

Paul
    That's virtually all I do ... Can't work on starts that way though.

Aside from the rotator cuff exercises, weight lifting and core work should help your shoulders too. My ART doc told me that my labrum is no longer a sorry piece of inflamed mush! he, he
    Last edited by The Fortress; November 30th, 2007 at 09:28 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    That's virtually all I do ... Can't work on starts that way though.
    Well, whenever I try to swim during lap swim, there's always at least 2 people in each lap lane. Not only that but I rarely see somoene is the proper speed lanes even though there are big ASS boards on each end of the lanes that say Slow, Medium, Fast on them.

Then there's the issue of a) trying to ask them if you can join them, then b) trying to communicate how to swim in the lane (i.e split or circle) or god forbid c) passing them at least 4 TIMES while doing a 200 warmup.

I have about given up swimming during lap swim. I only seem to be able to do moderate free or back, god forbid trying to do a sprint Fly set. And whenever I try to do a timed set, it seems that the other folks arrive at the turn right before I'm supposed to push off. Karma I guess. Not to say that I am such an elite swimmer but it seems that there aren't too many folks (i.e I have never seen one while I have been swimming) who do more than go up and down the pool. Again, not that there's a problem with that, for them, but for me, that is just not very fufilling.

Fortress: As I said to you a couple of weeks ago in a private message, I admire and envy your drive and dedication to put in the work that you do, but I tried to swim today during lap swim and have decided that unless I KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that I can get my own lane, trying to get a workout in outside of team time is just not happening.

Sorry, I will now go sit in my corner and chew on my raw meat.

Paul

Paul,

I started swimming a bit over two years ago and I went through some shoulder issues which I only recently overcame. I think my conditioning and swim strength improved faster than my shoulder could accomodate. I battled tendonitis etc until the shoulders strengthened, but I swam through it all which helped with imprinting correct form, as when the form was wrong I would get a pain signal.

I lived in a weight room my whole life, but lift no more to go easy on the shoulders. I don't feel bad since I can do more pullups now than ever. I should do some leg stuff though.

I still "manage" the shoulders, but they are much better now and I can now train hard 5 workouts a week with 2-3 recovery workouts.

You should be careful on the shoulders and don't let them start to click or develop sharp pain during the catch and power phase of the arm cycle.

If 260 is your weight, fine, if not drop the weight, this will take strain off your shoulders. This is one of my issues.

Keep us posted.

Blog Entries

1 Dec 07

SCM with team

500 swim, 100 kick w/u
    Broken 1350: 3x (5x25, 1x25 Sprint Kick, 4x50, 100 Pull) - Fly, back, breast
    3x50 - Start in the middle of the pool
    100 Warm down

2200m

Short but a very tiring workout. But my shoulder felt OK thru the Fly portion.

And then what I've been waiting for all month: MASSAGE!!!!

Caught between a rock and a hard place with regards to prepping for Zones next weekend. But will continue to swim the team workouts. Getting ready for SCY Zones/Nats will be a _little_ different tho as I plan on developing a little more structured training plan. Only way I'm gonna get where I want to go which is:

SCY
    50 Free - sub 23
    100 Free - sub 52
    100 IM - sub 1:00
    50 Fly - Sub 26

Paul

Blog Entries

2 Dec 07

Short workout while my daughter was practicing with her team.

SCM

300 w/u

25x4 Fly on :30
    25x4 Back on :30
    25x4 Br on :35
    25x4 Free on :30

25x4 Free descend on :30
    50x4 Free descend on 1:00

25x4 Sprint free with fins on the 1:15 - The first one was :15, the 2nd one I really focused on my body position and it was also :15 but I noticed that I was not getting on top of the water and my head position was too high. Last 2 I concentrated at keeping my eyes on the bottom of the pool and went :12.

100 w/d

1200m in about 23 minutes

SCM Zones are next weekend so I'm not sure if this will help or hurt. I'm feeling all over the place in my training but come January will be focusing on a solid training plan.

Paul

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66 View Post
    I have about given up swimming during lap swim. I only seem to be able to do moderate free or back, god forbid trying to do a sprint Fly set. And whenever I try to do a timed set, it seems that the other folks arrive at the turn right before I'm supposed to push off. Karma I guess. Not to say that I am such an elite swimmer but it seems that there aren't too many folks (i.e I have never seen one while I have been swimming) who do more than go up and down the pool. Again, not that there's a problem with that, for them, but for me, that is just not very fufilling.
    I ran into a similar situation last year while swimming during lunchtime. Seems that was the time when the triathletes liked to go swim. As the pool got crowded I shared a lane with what looked like two of the faster swimmers. Ultimately it broke down to stroke work/sprint work for 25s for me, and I put on a tank top for extra drag as well.

Nothing against triathletes (I'm going to try an indoor triathlon in 2 months), and most of them can run and bike circles around me, but I've discovered that I need to swim at "non-peak" times to get a solid practice in. It's amazing how open the pool can be at 5:00 in the morning.

Blog Entries

Funkyfish,

If any of the folks swimming laps were triathletes, I'm pretty sure the race would be over before any of them finished the swim.

Paul

Blog Entries

Thought that I would hit one last practice before Zones.

4 Dec 04

400 w/u

Decided to do some speed work.

4x50 Free Sprint on 2:00
    2:00 rest
    4x50 Fly/Back, Back/Br, Br/Fr, Fr/Fly
    4x100 - Kick down/swim back - Fly, Back, Br, Free

At this point, my shoulder was twinging and the water was soooo hot. We checked and it was 84.6 degrees. YUK.

Got out. Not terribly happy but we'll see how it goes this weekend.

Paul

Blog Entries

And now I have strep. Terrific. At least I have it now when the antibiotics have 3 days to work as opposed to Friday. Yeah, right.

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast