Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Warning on Facebook; catalog opt-out

  1. #1
    Very Active Member ViveBene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,875

    Warning on Facebook; catalog opt-out

    Dear Facebook users:

    I read a disturbing article in Friday, Nov. 23, Chgo Tribune: Facebook has a new program that allows retailers (Overstock, Fandango, about 40 others so far) to show/share YOUR purchases in such a way that others can see them:

    "The new program lets companies tap ongoing conversations by alerting users about friends' activities through the feeds."

    You get a small box in the corner of your Web browser that tells you information is about to be shared with Facebook unless you click "No thanks." You have about 20 seconds to do so, then the box goes away.

    There is no way you can say "No thanks" once and for all to these marketing tools, more of which are coming to Facebook.

    Has anybody with a Facebook account had any experiences with retailer-shared information?

    On catalogs: there is a new online site for opting out of catalog receipt: catalogchoice.org. Catalog Choice is a project of the Ecology Center (save trees) and endorsed by the National Wildlife Federation and the National Resources Defense Council.

    Regards, VB
    Last edited by ViveBene; November 25th, 2007 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Found url.

  2. #2
    Very Active Member ALM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    2,410

    Re: Warning on Facebook; catalog opt-out

    Quote Originally Posted by ViveBene View Post
    On catalogs: there is a new online site for opting out of catalog receipt: catalogchoice.org. Catalog Choice is a project of the Ecology Center (save trees) and endorsed by the National Wildlife Federation and the National Resources Defense Council.
    THANK YOU for posting this link! I have already signed up. I can't believe how many unwanted catalogs I throw away.

    Anna Lea

  3. #3
    Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Newe Sogobia (Elko, NV)
    Posts
    1,451
    Blog Entries
    1120

    Re: Warning on Facebook; catalog opt-out

    It looks like enough of their users complained that they have done an "about face" on this. Now for these retailers to share your information you need to "opt in" to this feature.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071130/...ook_about_face
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

  4. #4
    Very Active Member ViveBene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,875

    Re: Warning on Facebook; catalog opt-out

    Quote Originally Posted by poolraat View Post
    It looks like enough of their users complained that they have done an "about face" on this. Now for these retailers to share your information you need to "opt in" to this feature.
    That's good. However, I suspect the high degree of interconnectivity on social sites like Facebook will continue to be irresistible to marketing efforts.

    Now for those catalogues...

    VB

  5. #5
    Very Active Member smontanaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    Posts
    1,834
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Warning on Facebook; catalog opt-out

    So far so good with Catalog Choice. It hasn't been long enough to have actually stopped anything yet, but 'tis the catalog season so whenever we get something if neither Ellen nor I want to receive it I "decline" it at catalogchoice.org.

    Skip

  6. #6
    Very Active Member ALM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    2,410

    Re: Warning on Facebook; catalog opt-out

    Quote Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
    So far so good with Catalog Choice. It hasn't been long enough to have actually stopped anything yet, but 'tis the catalog season so whenever we get something if neither Ellen nor I want to receive it I "decline" it at catalogchoice.org.
    I've been doing the same thing. It says it takes 10 weeks to get them stopped.

    Anna Lea

  7. #7
    Sandy Yaygo
    Guest

    Re: Warning on Facebook; catalog opt-out

    I use them for starting fires! I love junk mail, it keeps me warm in the winter.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •