Thread: Timex Ironman or other swimming watch

Participating Member

Timex Ironman or other swimming watch

I am considering a watch for swimming. A couple of questions:

1) I'd like it to count laps automatically, can it do this? If so how? Do you set a distance for each lap?

2) Can it count laps and keep time at the same time?

3) What other uses are there for a swimming watch?

I would appreciate any advice? I'd like to spend $50 or less.

I am a fairly new swimmer, usually swim 30-45 minutes, sometimes do some speedwork but mostly just swim as many laps as I have time for.

Participating Member

Re: Timex Ironman or other swimming watch

I'm just wondering if I really need it. I mean all I do is swim 30-45 minutes for exercise, but I may like to enter a race one day

The guy that swims in the lane next to me uses one to tell him when his daily 30 min is up

Very Active Member Concho Pearl's Avatar

I have a Timex Ironman. Found it at Walmart for under $50.00

It's good for keeping track of your time. I tried it for lap counting and it's kinda hard to do a flip turn then reach over and punch the button for lap counting. You have to hit it just right or it wont register the count. Now maybe doing a open turn it could work better...

However I found it use full for start and finish time. I count the laps myself and can see how long it takes me to do 100 or 500 etc... it is a bummer to count laps your self I'm still trying to see which is better counting by 100's or just by laps.
    Concho Pearl

http://stores.ebay.com/Concho-Pearl-...enameZL2QQtZkm

We specialize in providing everything you
    need for a memorable wedding.

I have a Timex Ironman too and they are on sale this week at Target. It looks like a regular sports watch so you can wear it anywhere.

Very Active Member

Timex ironman are the best for any reason. I just lost one in October and went back t a Cassio like I used to have. Very disappointed.

Help. I also would like a watch that counts laps. If there isn't such a thing, is there a lap counter that one could wear like a watch? I am tired of not relaxing while swimming and thinking other thoughts, while I have to keep a count in my mind. Any ideas out there?

Participating Member

I use my Timex IM watch to count laps by figuring out how long it takes me to swim a lap and checking it (underwater) as I begin each lap to make sure I'm on pace.

I'm a relatively slow swimmer, so I average :45 to 1:00 per 50 yards. As I start lap 2, I glance at my watch, and as long as it's between :45 and 1:00, I know one lap is done. At the beginning of lap 3, it should be between 1:30 and 2:00, and so forth.

Very Active Member

I haven't seen a watch that EASILY counts laps. They all require the opposite hand to press a button on the watch. That would never work for me in practice. It also violates a basic principle that you should do in practice what you would do in a race. Who wants to come off a flip turn and touch your watch?

I have seen finger-based lap counters. These are worn like a ring and are triggered by the thumb. These are not watches nor timers. They count laps.

Like this. I have never used one but these look much more practical as a lap counter.
    From the Rolling Stones "Mother's Little Helper" - "What a drag it is getting old....."