Thread: A Training Plan for a Long distance Swim.

Participating Member

A Training Plan for a Long distance Swim.

Ok let me attempt to simplify my request.

Would anyone have a good programme / schedule to assist me in achieving a back to back very long swim. As previously stated, I wish to complete a swim distance between 95-100 miles over a 10+ day period. Does anyone have an idea here on how to train for this? If there is anyone out in the LD community please drop me a private line or public I don't mind.

Again Thanks in advance I hope.

Re: A Training Plan for a Long distance Swim.

Trevor,

Open Water Swimming by Penny Dean and Dover Solo by Marcia Cleveland are excellent references for any marathon swim. They contain a lot more useful tips then we can give in forum posts and I found then very helpful in preparing for my marathon swims.

The biggest drawback with posting a good programme / schedule, is that while we know your goal we donít know your starting point. How many long swims (4+ hour) have you attempted to date? How does your body hold up to mega-yardage swim training? What is your current training base, swimming yardage?

This sounds like a great challenge and when you break it down 10 miles a day for 10 days is quite doable.

And a couple of quick suggestions:
    Iíd suggest that you start incorporating at least one long swim day each week immediately. Preferably a 10K or longer, swum as a continuous swim with 30-45 second feeding breaks every 20-30 minutes. Early next year add a second day, preferably back to back (Sat-Sun). And continue to increase the volume, so that June or July you can swim a full week of 15Kís. By this time you should be training in the open water and should get in some 2, 4, and 6 hour open water training swims, with your support crew. As you get closer to your swim week, back off the total yards but throw in a couple of real long swims.

Participating Member

Rob,

Thank you, just what I was after. Currently i'm nursing a fractured knee, so it's only he gym 4 days per week for upper body, Hopefully next week will bode better results from the Ortho'. Distances / times have been left to the Iron man swim training usually max 1.5 hours most often 1 hour daily or two 45 min sessions per dy during the season. max 3 miles with no problems.
    Diet as I experienced in the Tri LD races is key = difference between finishing and DNF.

Thank you i'll look up those authors you suggested. More help the merrier.

Thanks again and Happy Christmas.

Participating Member

why would he need to do 4-6 hour swims for a 4 mile race???

Participating Member

Sorry, read that wrong.....waaaaay wrong.

Participating Member

rob, i am incorporating a feeding break in my long swim this saturday. i am going to use a squeeze bottle with gel and some kinda of drink. what do you use and what is your set up? mark

Mark,

Assuming this is an open water swim and not a pool swim (where you can line water bottles up on the pool edge) and assuming you donít have boat support( who can hand you water bottlesÖ

What I have done in the past is bungee 3 or 4 Gatorade, Poweraid or Endurox bottles to a kickboard. And either anchor this feeding station at a convenient point in your swim OR tow it behind you, wearing a swim belt/tubing. I donít mess with gel packs during a swim (personal preference) Iíd rather take calories and fluids all at once.

Participating Member

rob i am doing lap swim in a pool. i want to start incorporating the feeding for my 5 mile open swim training. so like saturday i am doing 3.5 miles. i thought i would put the bottles at the deep end and stop after the first two miles for a short feeding break. you know tread water and feed. i don't quite get exactly what my body needs. what is endurox? i know gels are messy. i'm kinda of afraid to drink too much as i am 53 yrs old and i'll have to piss cause of my bigger prostrate! seriously. mark