Thread: 2nd annual Fenwick masters meet

Participating Member

2nd annual Fenwick masters meet

Merry Post X-mas and a Happy New Year to everyone. We would like to welcome everyone to swim with us again on April 6th 2008. This will be a good tune-up meet for state, nationals or worlds. We have an eight lane all deep pool with 4 warm up lanes and a good timing system with plenty of good swims to go around. Cheers to all those who participate in aquatic sports!!!!!!! Dennis Huening, Dave Perry and Fenwick Aquatics.

Participating Member

Re: 2nd annual Fenwick masters meet

Oz, Happy B-day. I think I will have a cupcake with a candle on it for you at check in just because you wrote . It makes me happy to see you are coming again. I can't wait to swim in this pool. I know its fast. I live there w/ my kids and and just want to swim in it. I'm running concessions Feb 17th for age group (Blue Champs), so maybe the 50 cases of drinks I have to buy for the munchkins will be good dry-land training. See you there. Dennis

Very Active Member

I can't tell you how pleased I am that Fenwick has chosen to leave the 400 free relay in their lineup. I'm looking forward to attending the meet again. Note to teams: this is a great way to get into the relay top ten. Each swimmer only has to go 100 yards. You can swim a women's relay, a men's relay or a mixed relay.

I'd like to use this forum to say a word of thanks to Dave Perry who went out of his way last year to confirm the measurements for the pool. Thanks also to Dennis for inaugurating this event.

Participating Member

Thank you cj and orca/oz. I received an e-mail from a russian/european record holder . He's 71 and wants to know if he can swim. Of Course, but USMS or one day entry? What' better? His name is Mikail farafonov. Also, we decided to cap off the meet with the excitement of the 400 free relay to make it like the end of a high school meet. We would like a great turnout/ invitational to prep for all the upcoming important meets/State U.S., worlds. Thank You. Feed back is welcome. Dennis

Very Active Member

It is my understanding that if this gentleman is registered with a FINA recognized body (his Masters organization in his home country), he doesn't need to join USMS in order to compete in any USMS sanctioned meet (local, regional, or national).

However, he cannot set a USMS Top 10 or USMS national record unless he is a USMS member. One event registration would not make him eligible for USMS Top 10 or records either.

Mary Pohlmann
    Mary Pohlmann

This meet was really well run last year. And the times people turned in were great. It is a good way to get yourself that last chance to prep for states. COACHES, talk this meet up.

And, I hope everyone is chatting up the relay meet at Evanston, AND the social afterward.

Participating Member

Just wondering what would be the best way for us at the fenwick meet to handle one day entries. Last year we had the heat sheets ready and decided to chuck them and make new heat sheets with everyone swimming w/ people of their own speed. There had to have been a better way? Any suggestions. We posted the heat sheets as we went along. Dennis

In my experience doing age group time trials that is really the only way. Make sure your cut off for taking on deck entries leaves you lots of time, and you are quick at doing the entries. Then get the first few events rolling. It is too late to change event order now, but one consideration is to make sure the first event is a long one! Gives you more time. And have a good printer, or you will be ready to chuck the one you have in the pool.

Very Active Pirate Blackbeard's Peg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dennis huening View Post
    Just wondering what would be the best way for us at the fenwick meet to handle one day entries. Last year we had the heat sheets ready and decided to chuck them and make new heat sheets with everyone swimming w/ people of their own speed. There had to have been a better way? Any suggestions. We posted the heat sheets as we went along. Dennis
    I hosted a meet this past summer where deck entries caused a re-seed of our 100 breast and then caused mass confusion when lanes were all jacked up, timers had wrong cards, etc.
    Any time you seed like you did last year, as you go along, there are a lot more variables you have to worry about - posting heat sheets, printing timer cards, people being in the right lane, what to print in your program. Next time we're allowing deck entries, it will be only as space permits, so filling up empty lanes in the slowest heat until we have a full pool for that event. For the more popular events, ie the 100 breast and 50/100 free, we'd probably try to pre-seed the event such that we can allow for a full extra heat. This way, we can print heat sheets for the program, pre-print timer cards, and have a lot more time to deal with other things.
    Why do we always run out of rum?

Very Active Pirate Blackbeard's Peg's Avatar

The Maryland LMSC hosts their mini-meet Chidester Memorial Swim Series meets as deck enter only for all 6 of them (more if they run a few over the summer). Granted they all tend to start a tad later than the starting time on the flyer, but they've seemed to have gotten things running pretty well over the years. They've also implemented some changes in recent years to streamline the entries and speed up the entry process, especially as more non-Maryland LMSC people come to their meets, but they still do not take any pre-entries.

If you've got a plan for handling deck entries and can implement it well, you can make it work w/o a hitch.
    Why do we always run out of rum?