Thread: Iliotibial Band/Gluteus Maximus

Iliotibial Band/Gluteus Maximus

Question: I have developed some real stiffness/soreness in the gluteus maximus area, kind of low back area, and it came on pretty quickly after I started using some new fins. I really don't know if there is any relation. However, I got the fins to be able to use for part of my workout, as reading several sites, recommended the use of fins to work different muscles. So, most of my workout i swim without fins, but about 15 minutes, I use fins.

My question is, has anyone had a similar experience in developing pain in this area after learning to adjust to fins which use different muscles? I"m hoping that is all it is, and it is not a bother when I am swimming.

I feel like I have to stretch that area, but am especially stiff in the a.m. after sleep. I'm hoping I'm not developing hip problems.

Any experience with this?
    Sylvia

Re: Iliotibial Band/Gluteus Maximus

I had it happen when walking. Stand 2 feet from a wall place your heels on the floor, your hands on the wall. Face the wall, bend your arms and stretch those tendons by leaving the heels on the floor. The pain will disappear in a few days.
    Keep it simple
    George Park

New Bottom Line Pricing http://www.swimdownhill.com

So, do you think this type of discomfort can originate from adjusting to new fins, using different muscles? What muscles are strained when using fins vs. without fins?

USMS Membership Director Jayhawk's Avatar

Yes, fins can have an effect on the hamstrings, which in turn affect the gluteus, which in turn affects the lower back.

I have chronically short hamstrings and I thought that part of the reason I bought my first pair of Zoomers was because they advertised that they helped strengthen the hamstrings. I can't find any such claims now, so I may be all wrong about that. But their web site does have some good information about muscle imbalances:

http://www.zoomers.net/new-muscleimbalances.htm

Anna Lea

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Question: I have developed some real stiffness/soreness in the gluteus maximus area, kind of low back area, and it came on pretty quickly after I started using some new fins.
    Did you do much fly kicking? All kicking works the glutes, psoas, and tensor fasciae latae but especially fly. I mention these muscles as they can effect low back and iliotibial band (IT). There are a few other muscles in the hips that get worked too. The fins make it really fun and it is easy to over do it.

The GM attaches to the sacrum, illium (hip bone), femur (leg bone) and IT band. A tight GM can cause low back pain since it attaches to the sacrum. Psoas attaches to the spine, and inner femur and can definitely cause low back pain if tight. Tensor fasciae latae attaches to hip bone and IT band.

Stretching and massage could help but getting to the psoas is difficult. Find a massage therapist that is experienced with psoas. If the psoas is tight, releasing it will work wonders for the lower back!!!

There are a lot of nerves that run through that area. If the pain lasts and stretching and/or massage doesn't help, see your doctor. I'd back off the kicking a little too until you find out for sure.

IMHO, I don't think the hamstrings have much to do with your pain although they do have a lot to do with kicking and properly stretching them is a good idea.

Very Active Member

I came across a nice article that may help aleviate your problem. I think the fins may have started the pain but the root cause may have resulted from under-developed abdominals. Just a guess but I think it's worth looking into. Happy New Year and Good luck! Coach T.

You mentioned that an article on the site you sent me might help. I found the site, but not sure which article you are referring to.
    Sylvia

Very Active Member

If you are still having glute tightness you might try these two stretches.

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/GluteusMaximus/Lying.html

and

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipExt...iriformis.html