Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    For you to win this gridge (and feel good about it), you have to at least get under 5:00. Forget about the time drop...just get under 5:00. That's like an 8 & Under time for the 400 Free if you're over.
    I have to do that to beat That Guy, and could I really let That Guy beat me at a gridge where I picked the terms so they would overwhelmingly favor me? No. That would be horrible. The shame would make me quit blogging for months.

And that is a 11-12 time, not an 8 and under geez.
    HAY GUIZ WATTS GOIN on in tis thred
    The key to success with this approach is taking a gridge with an overwhelming advantage, and that's exactly what That Guy did.
    Finally someone comes out and says it! I knew from the start that KNelson and myself were doomed from the beginning in this one. Everyone else that jumped on board the gridge-train had it easy...to a point.

For you to win this gridge (and feel good about it), you have to at least get under 5:00. Forget about the time drop...just get under 5:00. That's like an 8 & Under time for the 400 Free if you're over.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    My wife said that after leaving the night of the Waikiki Roughwater last year and the day after the MCS this year, that there needs to be a full day of vacation after the event before heading to the airport. That seems about right to me.
    I agree. Smart woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Sounds pretty cool. So how long were you in Maui for?
    I flew in Wednesday and flew out Sunday night, and 4 days was the shortest anyone I met stayed.

My wife said that after leaving the night of the Waikiki Roughwater last year and the day after the MCS this year, that there needs to be a full day of vacation after the event before heading to the airport. That seems about right to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Awesome. Someone was spreading rumors at La Jolla that the boat captains for MCS now carry rifles because of the preponderance of tiger sharks on that course. I suspect it must have been one of the LJRWS race organizers to try to draw more crowds to Cali vs Maui! Any other boats / teams see any scary aquatic life?
    I didn't hear of any shark sightings this year, but I skipped the banquet. Our captain had swam with the sharks and was confident that the sharks were just curious, nothing to worry about in good visibility. I tend to agree with that, and if you don't dress up as a seal, a shark won't treat you like a seal.
    Sounds pretty cool. So how long were you in Maui for?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs
    Great write-up and swim! Sounds like it was a lot of fun.
    Thanks jbs it was a lot of fun.
    Awesome. Someone was spreading rumors at La Jolla that the boat captains for MCS now carry rifles because of the preponderance of tiger sharks on that course. I suspect it must have been one of the LJRWS race organizers to try to draw more crowds to Cali vs Maui! Any other boats / teams see any scary aquatic life?
    Great write-up and swim! Sounds like it was a lot of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Wow you were out there a long time! Did you guys attempt to go straight? I heard that those that did, and didn't get a lot behind them early (like the Edmund Fitzgerald), were really struggling through the heavy wind. Bonine works really good, too. Glad you had fun.
    Are you saying we swam slow?

No we didn't attempt to go straight, you can see where we hit the current and had a lot of trouble keeping swimmer heading closer to due east than due north. We were further north than we planned to be when we started heading straight in to the beach, but by then we were in calm water and it was easy swimming. The goal was to swim a gentle southern arc off the straight line course. It started out that way.

I don't know why the heavy wind would have been a problem. The wind was south and the current was north. The wind was a problem if you really liked your hat.

Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Question: How do you KNOW you did good in an OW swim, other than overall place? How do you find meaning in an OW swim if you don't know how fast you are going?
    Do you need an objective measure to appreciate an experience? I don't look at pool swimming and OW the same way. OW is purely for fun and I need to find a way to make pool swimming the same.
    Everyone who did this relay enjoyed it. Nice report.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Thanks for a great write-up! Glad you were able to take part in it.
    Thanks, it was a lot of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I would like to go to Maui with LW.
    That could probably be arranged.
    Wow you were out there a long time! Did you guys attempt to go straight? I heard that those that did, and didn't get a lot behind them early (like the Edmund Fitzgerald), were really struggling through the heavy wind. Bonine works really good, too. Glad you had fun.

Question: How do you KNOW you did good in an OW swim, other than overall place? How do you find meaning in an OW swim if you don't know how fast you are going?
    Thanks for a great write-up! Glad you were able to take part in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    We had shirts made up that Dennis didn't know about until we got to Hawaii. They all said "Where's Dennis?" except his that said "I'm Dennis".

LW likes Maui and enjoyed watching the the buff young Australians finish two hours before us from her "cabana" on the beach. Other than that, it was like any other beach vacation to her, she sat on the beach reading while I played in the water.
    Lol on the t shirts!

I would like to go to Maui with LW.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Loved the write-up! Sorry to hear about the seasickness, but so glad you had fun anyway. Are you at all tempted to try it solo--sounds like less time on the boat would suit you!
    I was tempted to do it solo during our relay

They did away with the solo division because of the number of boats in the water last year, or more importantly, the number of unqualified boat captains on boats last year. But I don't think I would do it solo even if I could. An hour swim seems to be about the upper limit of an enjoyable swim to me.
    Loved the write-up! Sorry to hear about the seasickness, but so glad you had fun anyway. Are you at all tempted to try it solo--sounds like less time on the boat would suit you!
    Quote Originally Posted by aprocious
    great recap of the swim! wasn't there a turtle somewhere along the way? :0)
    There was indeed a green sea turtle the size of me that hung out with us for a while during a practice swim off black rock.