Blog Comments

How much total yardage/meterage were you swimming per day? Looks fun!
    Maybe there's a something to be said about solo practices in that you can place more focus on what you're doing rather than paying attention to your lane mates in avoiding a collision. It can be harder to get motivated, but that's what the pace clocks are for!

Yep Texas is like it's own country compared to a 20 x 100 mile island. I still don't know how people manage with the 90 & 100 degree heat for three months straight. Maybe that's why there's so much swim talent?
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    You're welcome. It should be interesting to see your improvements at the next meet.

I'm still swimming every morning on my own and have made some freestyle breakthrough(s) in the past few months.
    If I get around to blogging once again, I'll give you an update. The limbo bar is set @ 1:10.
    I have to say the big improvements next meet (3 weeks from now) will be seen in rest. I flew back from London Sunday afternoon short of sleep, and raced Saturday the last meet without total control of my sleep schedule between (wife and bosses). The changes I need to make from camp will take more time than that.

Solo freestyle breakthroughs? That is impressive. You know what I like about free over back that makes such breakthroughs possible? You can actually see parts of your stroke.

If you don't get around to blogging the details, I can always hunt you down. Long Island is not that big compared to Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Hi quick, hope things have calmed down for you. My experience with such a magazine might have been similar, lasting about 2 minutes. I read fast, but usually not that fast.

This will be a restful weekend for me. Happy restful weekend to you.
    You're welcome. It should be interesting to see your improvements at the next meet.

I'm still swimming every morning on my own and have made some freestyle breakthrough(s) in the past few months.
    If I get around to blogging once again, I'll give you an update. The limbo bar is set @ 1:10.
    My experience with such a magazine might have been similar, lasting about 2 minutes. I read fast, but usually not that fast.
    I had considered looking at the pictures. But haven't gotten to that yet.

Enjoy your lazy weekend. Consider a slow little recovery swim after all that. And pinot of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Very nice narrative of the camp experience. This could have been a good article for the magazine which seems to stray from pool swimming from time to time.

I kind of flipped through the open water stuff in the most recent issue...and there's not much to read after that. An article about the life in the day of a swimmer would be kind of neat.

Beef mei fun is the best. Happy weekend.
    Hi quick, hope things have calmed down for you. My experience with such a magazine might have been similar, lasting about 2 minutes. I read fast, but usually not that fast.

This will be a restful weekend for me. Happy restful weekend to you.
    Very nice narrative of the camp experience. This could have been a good article for the magazine which seems to stray from pool swimming from time to time.

I kind of flipped through the open water stuff in the most recent issue...and there's not much to read after that. An article about the life in the day of a swimmer would be kind of neat.

Beef mei fun is the best. Happy weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by slow
    Thank you for typing everything up...it is good information and a great read!
    Glad you enjoyed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Good report!

I would have liked only 3 things: the sarcasm, the video-taping and the sprint workout. Oh, I wouldn't mind meeting Cokie either.

Do you think Dr. G would have let sprinters do a 50/100 before lactate testing? Otherwise, that would be of little value for my ilk.
    I thought about writing a summary. #1 Fort would not like this camp. You would like several of the coaches, but Cokie was not one of the sarcastic ones, at least not to me.

Kerry was the one who set the 200. If you did the lactate testing at Nationals, I be he would have no problem with you doing a 50.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I would have liked to see you in the breaststroke clinic. Sounds about as amusing as me in a fly clinic.
    Nah, my breaststroke isn't amusing, I just wasn't starting with the stroke they expected, so the drills were beyond my ability.

Also the speeds ranged from 1:12 to 2:00 for the 10x100 with a pretty even distribution.
    Updated March 9th, 2012 at 05:02 PM by qbrain
    Thank you for typing everything up...it is good information and a great read!
    Good report!

I would have liked only 3 things: the sarcasm, the video-taping and the sprint workout. Oh, I wouldn't mind meeting Cokie either.

Do you think Dr. G would have let sprinters do a 50/100 before lactate testing? Otherwise, that would be of little value for my ilk.
    That's a great report, thanks for putting it together. I know I asked you about the camp, but all I remember was you saying how there was a ton of swimming. I didn't really know what questions to even ask.

Funny, when I hear about camps like this my initial reaction is that it is for super fast people who compete all the time, and I move on. It seems that anyone can benefit from it...just improving stroke enough to avoid injury seems to be reason enough.

I would have liked to see you in the breaststroke clinic. Sounds about as amusing as me in a fly clinic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Awesome report. That camp sounds awful but in a fantastic way. How many campers? What was the fastest 10x100 freestyle interval? What was the age range?
    The camp is limited to 50 and always sells out iirc.

The fastest 10x100 person put down 1:12, he swam behind me the entire camp, so... The fastest interval was 1:10 and as far as I know it was only used on that one set. There was a lot of fast swimming, so the intervals were less important. The age range was 20s to 70s. I met a guy who came to the camp because had only been swimming for 4 years and was looking to improve... he was 74.

Thanks.
    Awesome report. That camp sounds awful but in a fantastic way. How many campers? What was the fastest 10x100 freestyle interval? What was the age range?
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    The 200 free is the world's best practice swim and the world's worst race swim.
    A one sentence summation of competitive swimming. Accurate and true. Well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    200s help with every distance. 500s help with 500s. I don't know why this is.
    The 200 free is the world's best practice swim and the world's worst race swim.
    I am contemplating the 8 X 500 @ 6:00 set in the near future. It isn't a lot of fun. I think 9 would be better, given my synesthesia.

200s help with every distance. 500s help with 500s. I don't know why this is.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I wish my wife had your attitude. She runs her own business, but never wants to go on vacation because she might have to give up work.
    We decided to make travel a priority a few years ago, which made it much easier to justify the loss of income from taking time off. But we do take many short trips to fit in with my wife schedule and keep my billable hours up.

I don't know what your wife does, but leaving Thursday night and return Sunday afternoon shouldn't affect business too much.
    Europe is the middle of April.
    Truer words were never... wait a minute