Blog Comments

It depends on your level of effort. When sprinting (effort close to race pace) try to keep a work:rest ratio of 1:1 (or more). So for example 50y free sprints, if you sprint a 50 in 40sec, I would recommend an interval of at least 1:10 (more like 1:20) to allow for some recovery. But that's for 100% all out efforts. Assuming 85% effort, then the intervals can be 1:00 or so.
    Thanks. Tomorrow I will rest, from swimming anyway.
    I usually do 25 yard sprints on a 30 second interval. That means if my actual swim takes 18 seconds I will have 12 seconds to rest(18+12=30 sec.) If I am doing ten 25 yard sprints on a 30 second interval the whole thing will take 5 minutes, but each swim is broken into its 30 sec. time slot.
    I think I get it. I should give myself an 18 second rest...say 20 seconds rest on hower fast I do the first part of the 50 swim. How much rest on a 25yd?
    Hi Flipper girl, glad your workouts are progressing. When you are doing a set(distance and # of swims) on and interval(the time per single swim) you have the length of the interval to swim and rest. If you did your first 50 swim in 42 seconds you would have 18 seconds to rest before your second 50 starts. Most people start their intervals at the top of the clock, or the bottom; that way every time the clock hits 60 or 30 you know it is time to start the next swim.
    i hope this helps.
    Happy Swimming!
    Bob
    Point well taken...
    Updated February 10th, 2009 at 07:31 AM by flippergirl (I'm getting over blogaphobia...)
    Totally unimportant lesson, and possibly incorrect. I believe Jim T. actually disengages his brain, and coasts through his entire post in neutral. Makes for some good blogging when he doesn't start at the bottom of the hill.
    I just learned a very important lesson about bloging. Engage brain before typing and really read over what you wrote. 72 laps = 1800 yards.
    As Nixon would say, "Let me make this perfectly clear, I do swim 72 laps which equals 1760 not 1725." What a newbie I am.
    Actually, to be scrupulous accurate about it, a mile is 1760 yards! I always swim 72 lengths of a 25 yard pool (1800 yards) before I say I've done a mile!
    I have this awful habit of making it to 1725 yds and saying "I made a mile, okay I'm done". I promise to push my self, not speed wise, but inch wise the next work out to over 2300.
    No sprinting but interval work is okay.
    Stretch rotator cuff.

I am going to my next meet on Feb 28.
    In Greenboro NC. THis is always in the back of my mind.
    THanks again!
    Paige
    Hi, Flippergirl, I second the Bobinator's recommendations. Do not increase by more than 10 percent per week on any ONE of these parameters: duration, intensity, or frequency.

Personally, I'd slowly up the duration till you are swimming maybe 3 x a week for 2600 - 3000 yards.

Then, once you've reached that point, slowly up the intensity so that you are swimming a few sprints in some if not all practices.

And then, and only then, consider adding a fourth day per week.

Follow the above for all the strokes, too. For instance, if you haven't been doing any butterfly, do not suddenly to an all butterfly practice!

Add stuff slowly and do your rotator cuff stretch band exercises, and you will adapt!
    I hope I am doing the blog thing right. I recently discovered that if I take a nap after a good swim I recovered better. When I mentioned this to my husband who used to bike race and he told me that growth hormones repalce 4 times faster when you are asleep than awake. Just a thought, it may be true or maybe nor.
    hi Flipper Girl...Welcome to the blog! I am a 50-54 aged newbie too!
    The only advice I will give you is to build your yardage slowly, and remember that rest is an important part of your training(especially the older you get!).
    There are some very knowledgable people on this blog who could give you workout specific information so I'm stopping with the above. Also check other blogs, lots of these great swimmers blog their workouts every day. There are workouts in "new posts" too.
    Have fun!

Bobinator
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910