Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    Flip, you are a great writer. I can imagine myself there.
    Good luck with your OW swim!
    Katie,
    I am full of lactic acid. owww! I finished! Thanks for the compliment. Hope you swimming is fair weather. Today I must recover.
    Flip, you are a great writer. I can imagine myself there.
    Good luck with your OW swim!
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    FYI...PeddIE
    Hi Wookie,
    What is the race you are having in tennessee. Isn't it the river rat something. I am interested. Is it a river with a fair amount of current? I don't want to embarass myself and mispell...I know it begins with a Ch...I whitewater kayak as well so swimming a fast river sounds fun to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by kristilynn
    Ohhhh! I love open water swimming in the Caribbean. I'm envious! Sounds like a great swim. It's just boring pools and murky lakes for me. :-(
    Now that I am back to the pool I find my focus changes to "how fast can I go" and am diappointed that I am not doing as well as I would like. Isn't that silly. I should be gtateful for just being able to swim!
    Tomorrow I do my first OW race in a lake and I am very excited to be doing that.
    My husband and I just got certified to scuba dive and we got a terrific deal to go there. It was wonderful. I guess it was just at the end of the flu scare, flights and stays were reasonable. We figured it was an island off Mexico so it was okay.
    Oh man am I jealous. Sounds absolutely exquisite.
    Ohhhh! I love open water swimming in the Caribbean. I'm envious! Sounds like a great swim. It's just boring pools and murky lakes for me. :-(
    I think that you should not get discouraged. Keep your head up!
    Thanks Fort and Bob I do probably swim a bit stiffly. I will think about relaxing. I guess I am just feeling stuck and I have never been good at being patient. Anyway I look forward to my first OW swim experience. A first time is always good because you have no expectation except finishing!
    hi flipper!
    Could you be "trying too hard?"
    Fast swimming requires relaxation combined high energy output. I think this is a difficult concept to control.
    I guess I would say relax more, get in a comfortable rhythm and let the speed come to you.
    i hope this makes some sort of sense to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by mctrusty
    Swimming is a funny sport. There's not always a linear progression of improvement, particularly in practice times. For most of us, it requires *a lot* of patience. Delayed gratificaiton is one of the biggest frustrations and one of the greatest pleasures of our aquatic addiction.

Fresnoid asks some good questions. HR is a good proxy for determining your effort levels and what energy zones you're hitting.

Are you tracking any of your times? I would add to that an encouragement to do test swims on a regular basis. Ande's Help, My Speed is Horrible! thread is a good place to find a testing plan. You could simplify it to trying to do a few fast 25s/50s at some point during every week and tracking your times. See where those go. They'll probably be up and down, plateauing over stretches, dropping precipitously on rare occasions, getting slower sometimes.

I echo McTrusty's points. Swimming is not linear and progress doesn't happen over night, except for some lucky few. If you're confused about your strokes, that means that continued coaching input and stroke modification/refinement will produce time drops. As will speed work and kicking work and weights. Are you shoulders feeling better? Sometimes it's hard to really train effectively when they are twingey and uncooperative.

Read Ande's tips. Train with the group that would suit your needs best. Is it the same team, just a different group? If so, you shouldn't feel badly. Try not to anyway. Just swim that lane that would push you and a coach who you can get feedback from.
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    here you go flipper girl
    hope my suggestions help you swim faster faster
    I will have to find someone to stopwatch my times so I can try the "My speed is Horrible" method.

I need to learn so much about pacing and drafting. I do keep track in my head about my times. That is how I know I am not improving.

Thank you for your awesome input.
    flipper
    Updated May 28th, 2009 at 09:14 AM by flippergirl
    here you go flipper girl
    hope [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=181744&postcount=1244"]my suggestions[/ame] help you swim faster faster
    Quote Originally Posted by mctrusty
    Swimming is a funny sport. There's not always a linear progression of improvement, particularly in practice times. For most of us, it requires *a lot* of patience. Delayed gratificaiton is one of the biggest frustrations and one of the greatest pleasures of our aquatic addiction.

Fresnoid asks some good questions. HR is a good proxy for determining your effort levels and what energy zones you're hitting.

Are you tracking any of your times? I would add to that an encouragement to do test swims on a regular basis. Ande's Help, My Speed is Horrible! thread is a good place to find a testing plan. You could simplify it to trying to do a few fast 25s/50s at some point during every week and tracking your times. See where those go. They'll probably be up and down, plateauing over stretches, dropping precipitously on rare occasions, getting slower sometimes.

I don't write my times down. I do test myself and well nothing changes. I will go to "my speed is horrible" for advice. I have a great fear of the meet where my times are really bad. I will also check my HR. I have had slow HR most of my life when excercising except when I really, really push. Many thanks.
    Thanks Orca...if I really want to do this...after practice I should do some sprints.
    flippergirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresnoid
    How hard do you work? People can float and slowly paddle through 2500 yards and get very little benefit. What does your heart rate stay at during sets? What is it at when you finish a longer swim like today's 450?
    I have never checked my heart rate. But when I swim on my own I feel I work harder and that my heart rate is definitely higher. If I swim with the team I am doing a proper workout...not just one of my own. So I don't know how to best spend my time. If I can definitely do three workouts a week but scheduling more than that gets tough. What is the rule for heartrate? Thank you

Are you tracking any of your times? I would add to that an encouragement to do test swims on a regular basis. Ande's [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=11814"]Help, My Speed is Horrible![/ame] thread is a good place to find a testing plan. You could simplify it to trying to do a few fast 25s/50s at some point during every week and tracking your times. See where those go. They'll probably be up and down, plateauing over stretches, dropping precipitously on rare occasions, getting slower sometimes.
    There are much more qualified experts in this field to comment on this, (at the risk of sounding like a bithering idiot) however from my experience; I have slipped a little due to the addition of the weight training, the increase stress on my musculature has had a negative impact on my performance gains, yet I know once my body recovers and becomes accustom to the routine, I should have more power to direct towards, in this case, swimming. I know from my pre-Triathlon days that weight training increased my endurance and power from a cruise on the bike from 18 to 24 mph. Back then I didnt care about the swim split, I could reel everyone in on the bike, only to lose them in the run
    I have heard from my coach, from reading many books and articles on the subject that you have to work on Sprints when your tired after the Main set. My coach drills me on this (once a week) into my head, that the only way I will get faster is to push through the tiredness, the lactate-tolerance if you will. Like they say, no pain no gain....Unless your born with it, the rest of us have to work really hard not to come in dead last....
    How hard do you work? People can float and slowly paddle through 2500 yards and get very little benefit. What does your heart rate stay at during sets? What is it at when you finish a longer swim like today's 450?
    Wookie you went there?* Are you a Heightstown boy? My best friend to this day went there. I went to Westtown Friends in Pa.By the what is that race you are going to have in Tennesse?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast