Blog Comments

Thanks gbrain. Almost always I need extra cool down. So thats good.
    I will make a concentrated effort to murder the kick set from now on. I will clock my sprint kick time and check it out.Since I am just still learning to read the board and following I sometimes get a little sidetracked from pushing.
    On technique...I need to ask for help. But sometimes I don't know what to ask...anyway...well... this week end will be great I hope.
    On kick: Consider posting on the "my kick is horrible" topics. By posting your sprint kick times, you can get some feedback on how fast your kick is. I think the fast kickers are kicking a 25 close to 10 seconds for flutter or SDK. Mere mortals kick slower, and people like me are closer to 20s.

On intensity: You should be killing the main set in practice. If you could swim the cool down fast, you didn't work hard enough. If you can barely make it through cool down, good job.

On technique: Glad you are going to get some stroke analysis. You can also get this in practice from the better swimmers and maybe even the coach?

There are plenty of people going fast in their 50s, so you probably have not peaked, but just have not found out where you need to concentrate your hard work to go faster. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi
    Fabulous story
    I did a lot of clandestine quarry swimming in my day (I guess a lot of us here did) but I always stayed near the top - I didn't want to know what was down there

Congrats on getting certified - I think scuba is one of the freakiest things in the world. I'm too chicken to ever even attempt it

Have fun!
    It was very strange diving in a quarry. There is nothing down there that will eat me...at least so far...
    Fabulous story
    I did a lot of clandestine quarry swimming in my day (I guess a lot of us here did) but I always stayed near the top - I didn't want to know what was down there

Congrats on getting certified - I think scuba is one of the freakiest things in the world. I'm too chicken to ever even attempt it

Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by EricOrca
    Great freshwater dive story!
    It would be very cool to spot you in that vast underworld, Orca!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Cool dive.
    Thanks Swim Stud!
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Yes especially if you see Stud's avatar underwater.
    Excuse my French, but WTF is that thing anyway?!
    Its sort of like a swimming big foot creature to me!
    Updated May 4th, 2009 at 03:35 PM by flippergirl
    I believe Swimstud called it somekind of swimming sloth animal? I kept my eyes open for one and will continued to do so on any dive I do!
    Great freshwater dive story!
    Yes especially if you see Stud's avatar underwater.
    Excuse my French, but WTF is that thing anyway?!
    Cool dive.
    Excellent!
    Hi Orca,
    I wish you the best in July at the Pacific LCM! Let see now...May and June. You've got at least two month to keep at it. I had turns pretty good, then I realized I didn't work on them so it feels like three steps forward and two steps back. Correct repitition is so important.Yes, that was a neat story. Keep your Orca sonic radar on to tell us one!
    That's about the best description of drill's I have heard yet. Ive always had the attitude of "I need to do this to fix my stroke."
    Wow, that's an awesome story! Ill have to remember that at the Pacific LCM's in Hayward, Ca. in July! Hopefully I will get a similar answer!
    I had a great time but so much to improve. Hope your swimming is going well. I am going to check your post now.
    Sound like you had fun and you know where you need to improve!
    As my college coach told me, if you have to grab the wall on your turns in the IM, you are spending too much time there. It should ideally be a (legal) touch and go.
    I agree with Donna. Have someone video your turns. Usually it is as simple as seeing what you are doing wrong.
    Great job on your swims. I have been out of the pool for what seems like forever now (3 weeks) due to health issues..I am so jealous and excited for you at the same time!
    Since I haven't seen your turn I can't make comment, but you have many opportunities in practice to work on turns. Have someone video your turns once you see what you are doing it is easier to make the corrections.
    Thanks, Patrick. I think I will do it again soon to make sure this time is correct. Can't hurt. I really was struggling Sat. It was like the gorrillia was on my chest and my body was full of lead.
    Video of my strokes sound like a good idea. I will also check out some of the instruction on UTube to maybe help clear up things.
    A 500 metre time that is spot on your 500 yard time, especially LONG COURSE, is fantastic.

If you do get private coaching, try to get under water and above water video so that you can see what's going on. Private coaching can be great, but I think we all (at least me) can more easily relate to and correct what we're doing wrong if we can see ourselves swim.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast