Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    That's a really nice and hard main set. I hope my coaches don't see that one.
    I used to live in Little Rock. Do you train with Doug Martin or Noel Strauss?
    I find myself in the same pool/lane as them from time to time, but I know them well. When I was still able to do AM masters workouts I shared a lane with Noel. It was fun training with a guy who still owns arguably one of the more difficult NAG records on the books - 13-14 100M FR.
    Updated October 22nd, 2013 at 09:50 AM by Calvin S
    That's a really nice and hard main set. I hope my coaches don't see that one.
    I used to live in Little Rock. Do you train with Doug Martin or Noel Strauss?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I guess that's your 1st Amendment right. Those are some nice workout times too. I also love doing the double pullouts/triple pullouts, but the stroke and turns usually catch me.
    Would you prefer "Fly gets me high"? Because that's the truth too, I just needed the breaststroke work more :P
    "Breaststroke is the Best Stroke"
    I guess that's your 1st Amendment right. Those are some nice workout times too. I also love doing the double pullouts/triple pullouts, but the stroke and turns usually catch me.
    Sometimes you just have swims like these. They are by no means bad, but just not what you wanted. Your 500 was pretty consistent which is a good sign of things to come. Just looking at your splits on the fly it looks like you went out too quick which is very easy to do early in the season.Good job overall though.
    ​Good luck at the meet. You will do great.
    I love this workout. We did a best average set of 100 kick's last weekend and they were brutal. You did an entire workout kicking. I dread to think how long I would feel that for. Brutal!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    I like that main set alot. I top out at 300 yards. The 100 is just there to push you. It's obviously not there to see how fast you can swim. I'd be happy with that.
    It is a slightly modified version of a U. Texas set that is 300 @ 3:00, 200 @ 2:00 and 100 @ 2:00 done same way as above, X times through.

I once actually saw a video of them doing this set, Ricky Berens was going 2:35 or better, under 1:50 on the 200s and under 49 on the 100s. Piersol was a few lanes over, same set, same intervals, backstroke!
    I like that main set alot. I top out at 300 yards. The 100 is just there to push you. It's obviously not there to see how fast you can swim. I'd be happy with that.
    We did similar sets today. My 3,2,1 set was pull and you did one more round. I know how hard it is to really let go on the 100 and your times were awesome despite all the challenges.
    That last IM was smokin. At 1.01 I don't know how you died. That's quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I am going to stop feeling sorry for myself when we do a 5000yd workout in 75 mins. This must have hurt. Those 200s on 2.15 must have been fun!
    The 200s weren't that bad actually. I held 2:09-2:10 on all 5. I guess I had the confidence to cruise through it because the day before on that 9x300 set, I was flipping between 2:09-2:11 at the 200 every time. The tough part for me was the 6x50 BK. I am not a backstroker, and with the shape I am in right now, I was barely able to hold 38s on most of them. I would start out at 35 on #1, and then fade fast (doubly fast on round 2!). Once I got past the backstroke though, the tough part was behind me!

EDIT: I should add, that actually the toughest part of the practice was the 6x25 under H2O in warm-up! Thankfully my lane was not punished for doing them incorrectly!
    I am going to stop feeling sorry for myself when we do a 5000yd workout in 75 mins. This must have hurt. Those 200s on 2.15 must have been fun!
    I have been banned from cooking for my wife. I have a tendency to burn things and she does not like her food done that way; go figure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Uh wait, isn't this like your third day back after a 5 week break? ...and you swim 5k then throw down a 23.9 50 fr? How fast could you go it you took 8 weeks off? 23-low or 22-high? Dang, maybe I need to take longer breaks...
    No I didn't take 5 weeks off. I just slacked on my training and was hitting the pool like 3-4 times a week instead of 9! I guess I should clarify, the 23.90 FELT like garbage. It wasn't that I expected to blast something crazy like a 22 low, but the swim was bad. Really bad breakouts off both walls, arms and legs did not feel in-sync. I would take a 25.0 if it FELT like I was moving through the water how I wanted to! And for a real eye-opener, the other club swimmers who raced went the following: 21.9, 22.03, 23.06, 24.0, and the two guys who went fastest DID take those 5 weeks off...damn sprinters and young whippersnappers!
    50 FR FAST from blocks (for shits and giggles - 23.90 --> felt like garbage, no fast twitch at the moment)
    Uh wait, isn't this like your third day back after a 5 week break? ...and you swim 5k then throw down a 23.9 50 fr? How fast could you go it you took 8 weeks off? 23-low or 22-high? Dang, maybe I need to take longer breaks...
    After a 5k swim I would take a 23.x any day of the week. That's awesome.
    I did feel like I was going to vomit after #10, and my HR spiked up to 29/:10, but on the first 9 my HR did not go above 24/:10 (and really hovered somewhere around the 22-23 beat mark).
    I could not imagine taking 3-5 weeks off and then having to do that set of 200s. How much complainingg was there in the group? Seriously nice job on your part. That last one under 2mins must have hurt. I did a set of 200s the other week and the last two were quick and I hurt all week from lactic acid build up.
    Its amazing how hot water can be the workout killer. Just a few degrees can make all the difference. I have definately been where you were with the heat and I can empathize. I don't think I have had the roofing challenge you describe while swimming and it does not sound very unpleasant. When I was in college I worked a few summers doing construction and that roof tar smell is awful even with a mask.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast