Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Awesome set of 50s.
    Thanks, Stewart!
    Awesome set of 50s.
    Also in their lingo, OMG. FML indeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Got it, thanks. Sounds like it's a tough interval.
    It was :P
    Got it, thanks. Sounds like it's a tough interval.
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    What is AE MAKE?
    AE is aerobic, and MAKE means that the sole goal for that distance/interval is to just make the interval. I was going 1:04s on the first interval for the 100s. Basically touch and go. Another way to think of it is "the slowest I can go and still make the send off"...but you cannot float on the swim so it becomes a VERY quick active recovery (emphases on the active!!).
    What is AE MAKE?
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Calvin, what are ghost turns?
    "Ghost Turns" - dive off block (preferably with someone starting you), and take 2/4 strokes fast (2 for FL/BR, 4 for FR/BK), do a turn (flip for BK/FR, open for BR/FL) and sprint back to wall. Basically you have to carry your momentum through the turn so that you aren't sprinting back from a dead stop. FR/FL should be done with 0 breaths.

"Drag Race" - exactly what it sounds like. Go out to the 15M mark, and wait for two commands. First command: "head down," no breathing after this point! Second command: whistle/"GO," and sprint race into the wall. We normally do these all FR, and will occasionally add fins and/or paddles. First one to the wall gets the bragging rights!

We also do something else called "Underwater Returns". Under H2O returns are where you push off the wall underwater and take 4-6 FR strokes underwater (or in our case, we use the horizontal lines on the bottom of the pool and go to a certain line), fast flipturn (underwater, spinning as fast as possible to avoid floating to the surface), and then fast FL kick on back or stomach back to the wall, all of this done with no breathing.
    Calvin, what are ghost turns?
    Glad to have been of help!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I was in Vero a few years back (my grandmother lived there) and was going to try to swim at St. Edwards (http://www.steds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=122904&rc=0), but never got around to it. Maybe you've already checked that out and they are non-functional at this time of year?

There's always the ocean for some nice cold water training
    I will look into SES. Thanks, pwb. I actually just googled "public pools in vero beach/sebastian" and only got a few hits (the ones I checked into). SES never came up (although I guess it isn't "public").
    I was in Vero a few years back (my grandmother lived there) and was going to try to swim at St. Edwards (http://www.steds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=122904&rc=0), but never got around to it. Maybe you've already checked that out and they are non-functional at this time of year?

There's always the ocean for some nice cold water training
    Thanks Stewart! I need to go grab some ice now!
    I would say that your day qualifies for ACTUALLY living at the pool. Great workouts. Almost 12k lcm is some serious swimming.
    Lucky dog. We don't go back to Long Course until after the kids are done with high school meets this spring.
    Very impressive slate of events over a long weekend. Glad to see that you identified some areas to work on. You'll be even faster in the spring.
    So close! You'll do it.
    Great 100 breast. Sounds like an awesome meet.
    That's a lot of yardage for a man who is tapering and whose taper meet is next week. Is everything ok?
    OMG. You did awesome but that's a hell of a workout. Just the lactic hold sets are hellashous, let alone the AFAP from the blocks.