Blog Comments

50 FR FAST from blocks (for shits and giggles - 23.90 --> felt like garbage, no fast twitch at the moment)
    Uh wait, isn't this like your third day back after a 5 week break? ...and you swim 5k then throw down a 23.9 50 fr? How fast could you go it you took 8 weeks off? 23-low or 22-high? Dang, maybe I need to take longer breaks...
    After a 5k swim I would take a 23.x any day of the week. That's awesome.
    I did feel like I was going to vomit after #10, and my HR spiked up to 29/:10, but on the first 9 my HR did not go above 24/:10 (and really hovered somewhere around the 22-23 beat mark).
    I could not imagine taking 3-5 weeks off and then having to do that set of 200s. How much complainingg was there in the group? Seriously nice job on your part. That last one under 2mins must have hurt. I did a set of 200s the other week and the last two were quick and I hurt all week from lactic acid build up.
    Its amazing how hot water can be the workout killer. Just a few degrees can make all the difference. I have definately been where you were with the heat and I can empathize. I don't think I have had the roofing challenge you describe while swimming and it does not sound very unpleasant. When I was in college I worked a few summers doing construction and that roof tar smell is awful even with a mask.
    Man, that is fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Uh-oh. I was afraid this might show up in HVT. BTW Calvin, nice job on that set. If I were to swim the same times SCY that you did LCM it would be a good performance for me. I guess the "target" times would be 1:12, 2:24, 3:36, 4:48, which starts out pretty believable but would be near my 500 race-pace at the 400.
    @ Karl, Thanks for props! It was a tough set because this Bob Steele character has a different definition of "warm-up" than I do. Since high school, my "warm-up period" has ranged from 2500 to 5000 yards/meters. I think my performance in all sets yesterday would have been drastically improved with more warm-up. The set is tough to hold that pace because of trying to simultaneously keep the stroke count even and the HR even. Without the stroke rate element, I could pace myself at "RED" HR and hold 1:12-1:13s, but as you can see, the stroke rate increased and the time increased, which shows as the distance ramped up, I got less out of my stroke trying to "spin my arms faster" instead of thinking about getting more out of each stroke!

@ pwb, Bob gave the set. In fact, all my workouts through Wednesday morning will be Bob Steel written and directed.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I like that Aussie fitness test and am going to borrow it. Was it given by coach Steele?
    Uh-oh. I was afraid this might show up in HVT. BTW Calvin, nice job on that set. If I were to swim the same times SCY that you did LCM it would be a good performance for me. I guess the "target" times would be 1:12, 2:24, 3:36, 4:48, which starts out pretty believable but would be near my 500 race-pace at the 400.
    I like that Aussie fitness test and am going to borrow it. Was it given by coach Steele?
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Well if you make it to Jenks our paths will cross, if not, I too am planning on worlds next year so they will cross paths there.

I too am a huge soccer fan. I support the English Premier League team Arsenal. When I grew up I went to see them every other week for a few years and my wife claims I am addicted. I played until my early 30s(central defender) until I tore my ACL.
    Last name: Schildknecht, so I support all things German (and I am therefore thrilled at an "all-German" CL final). I primarily follow/support the Bundesliga, and specifically Bayern Munich (not a band wagon fanboy...the family is from Bavaria, so I have close ties to the area), but I mainly support the German National Team in international competitions.

When I play full field soccer, I play attacking midfielder, but my wife (a goalie in college) and I play in a small field 7v7 league in which I play what we call a "winger" (in our "Christmas Tree" formation: 3-2-1, a box-to-box midfield role).
    Well if you make it to Jenks our paths will cross, if not, I too am planning on worlds next year so they will cross paths there.

I too am a huge soccer fan. I support the English Premier League team Arsenal. When I grew up I went to see them every other week for a few years and my wife claims I am addicted. I played until my early 30s(central defender) until I tore my ACL.
    I completely understand asking for permission. Most of us guys have the same coordination requirements with our spouses(how was that for a politically correct way of saying that). I believe the meet will be posted next week, and I suspect there will be a deadline but I am not entirely sure. As soon as its posted I will pass the link along.

I think I will also do the zone meet in Jenks, but will not taper or rest for the meet since I won't have enough yardage back under my belt to make it worth while. I hope to meet in person sometime.
    Oh wow did not realize there was a Zone meet at Jenks. I was just there back in March for Region VIII sectionals (short course) and also swam there last year at the same time (long course). Great pool. I might look into that meet as well. To be quite honest, I am in money saving mode to try and swing a trip up to Montreal next August for worlds (wife and I honeymooned there so I have that helping me convince her!). I scrapped Pan Ams partially for that reason, partially because I was spending more time focusing on soccer (my other athletic passion) and partially because my training fell off due to my minor knee injury!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Thanks for the invite! Let me check my calendar (and by that, I mean let me check my wife's calendar, as she is the (wo)man in charge!). Is there a sign up deadline?
    I completely understand asking for permission. Most of us guys have the same coordination requirements with our spouses(how was that for a politically correct way of saying that). I believe the meet will be posted next week, and I suspect there will be a deadline but I am not entirely sure. As soon as its posted I will pass the link along.

I think I will also do the zone meet in Jenks, but will not taper or rest for the meet since I won't have enough yardage back under my belt to make it worth while. I hope to meet in person sometime.
    Calvin, I know it's a long drive but thought I would let you know we are having a long course meet in Rockwall on 6th July. It would be great if you can make it.
    Thanks for the invite! Let me check my calendar (and by that, I mean let me check my wife's calendar, as she is the (wo)man in charge!). Is there a sign up deadline?
    Calvin, I know it's a long drive but thought I would let you know we are having a long course meet in Rockwall on 6th July. It would be great if you can make it.
    Hope you find quick recovery on your knee. Sometime our joints let us know what movements are wrong.
    What a shame. I swim at the Rockwall Aquatic Center but I am in the Middle East right now. I would have loved to swim with you. The masters swim monday,wednesday and friday morning from 5.30-6.30am and monday and wednesday night from 6.30pm-7.30pm. The facility is great and the coach, Tom Applegate is terrific. Tom always welcomes guests and are usually fun. I hope you have a good time in Rockwall.
    Thanks. It would have been great to have people to train with as opposed to swimming solo this week. It is a gorgeous facility. If we had wanted to swim though you would have had to sneak in between prelims and finals because I discovered when I arrived that all practices and open swim times were cancelled this week due to the meet. I was told by the AD that the pool was closed for "our" (read college teams) use only, so I am taking the liberty to use the facility in the afternoons. I had the whole place to myself for the above workout.
    What a shame. I swim at the Rockwall Aquatic Center but I am in the Middle East right now. I would have loved to swim with you. The masters swim monday,wednesday and friday morning from 5.30-6.30am and monday and wednesday night from 6.30pm-7.30pm. The facility is great and the coach, Tom Applegate is terrific. Tom always welcomes guests and are usually fun. I hope you have a good time in Rockwall.
    I'm packed 6 to a lane just about every night with my practices with the age group team. I've basically given up doing a fly set anymore in practice, as I've had a few hard smacks with some of the kids (it happens), but I've now chose to just avoid the possibility anymore. I want to stay on the good side with their parents. The waves are my hardest thing to deal with. I have such a low, in the waterline, breathing that I nearly drown myself a couple times a month. Come up coughing and gagging and trying to get to the wall or laneline.
    Your swimming really quick and those descending 400s are awesome. It's always exciting when You go under minute pace for a 400 or 500, it's a sign of really good things to come I am sure.