Blog Comments

Gee thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Do you at least have a wetsuit?
    I do not use a wetsuit. I use my hot pink and purple and orange speedo brief. It's "hot."
    wetsuits hard to come by. here, folks are trading wetsuits for hand sanitizer.

stay well mate
    Do you at least have a wetsuit?
    Trips suit was a wise investment.

It was like he saw it coming
    He actually switched to an old full body tech suit now. But yeah, he definitely benefited from the wetsuit
    Trips suit was a wise investment.

It was like he saw it coming
    Jealous that you have access to an opened pool (even if the pool is in a "witness protection program")
    Resorting to pool fence jumping here. I hope its chlorinated
    Did you mean 20x25 @ 40 no breath FR?
    perhaps...
    Did you mean 20x25 @ 40 no breath FR?
    I pulled my groin muscle very suddenly swimming in a br set (really hurt) and it took a few months to rest recover to the point where there was no pain and I could kick pain free again. I kind of eased back into br and haven't had the problem since. Think I had just pushed it too hard too fast and maybe hadn't warmed up enough. I was probably mid-50s at the time and hadn't experienced anything like that before (or after) but I am careful not to push it too hard and stay aware of that feeling when I do swim or kick br.

I've always wondered if others ever had the same experience. Hope your recovery goes well.
    Remarkable swim sir! My record of 2 minutes in 58F water/70F air seems laughable in comparison (I believe it was about 8 meters of swimming)

Tell your mate Tripp a wetsuit is a good investment
    When I swam with a masters group in AZ, we'd do something similar. A sprint on a long interval, then the opportunity to do a cool-down swim. I always took advantage of the easy swimming in between, but not everyone did. Sometimes we had set lanes for, "racing," and we had to move to another lane for the easy part, depending on how many swimmers were at the workout.
    As I've gotten older, I've found that I'll last longer and keep up some speed longer if I do some easy swims in between rather than just stand around and stew.
    Do you think theres any benefit to 5 min static glycolysis between all outs, like on the buffering system?
    I think when you don't swim out and just stand around it forces you to use different energy systems sooner. In layman's terms, the the absolutely dogsh*t feeling I have on my 5th rep of 6x100 @ 5:00 starts at like #2 or 3 if I am skipping some sort of recovery in between. Which I guess teaches me to push through the pain sooner? But usually when I do dive sets, or lactate sets, I want to be at the top of my game as much as I can be every time I step up on the blocks.

I have another set that is similar that I KNOW has a "no warm down" component. May try it out in a week or two. I will post the results here, unless I die attempting it!
    Updated February 24th, 2020 at 09:08 PM by Calvin S
    Do you think theres any benefit to 5 min static glycolysis between all outs, like on the buffering system?
    Got it. thanks for the explanation. Appreciate the blog updates as they provide me with new ideas when I'm forced to swim solo.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSad
    Hi Calvin, Just curious as to what ("Zane Grothe" style) refers to. Is is stroke related, pacing... thanks
    Dan,

I once read about a set he did. 20x150 @ 2:00 no kick outs. To work, I am assuming, on turnover and emphasizing strokes over kicking off the walls. The set is here:

https://swimswam.com/upping-the-inza...etting-faster/

Anyways, my "occasional" training partner Trip Strauss has really bad walls (I know Trip will read this and he knows I am being truthful but also don't mean anything by it!). I have really good walls (or I like to think they are pretty good), and this puts Trip at a decided disadvantage any time we race. So every so often I will promise to race him "Zane Grothe" style, taken from the set linked above, to try and level the playing field (which it actually does...sometimes).
    Hi Calvin, Just curious as to what ("Zane Grothe" style) refers to. Is is stroke related, pacing... thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tripswim
    whose walls leave something to be desired

(yale vs davidson)
    Seeing as I care absolutely nothing for my alma mater, umm...go bulldogs?
    Updated January 25th, 2020 at 12:01 PM by Calvin S
    whose walls leave something to be desired

(yale vs davidson)
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast