Blog Comments

So, does drill #1 become like a 'weighted fist drill' as you clutch the dumbbell?
    Other than superficial skin manifestations, I feel OK.

I haven't had a cold or flu for 2013, which is unusual, and I should be in working order for the meet.

I better register
    You feeling healthy?
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    That's the murkiest water I think I have ever seen. Is the chlorine out of balance?
    The pool leaks enough that a swamp exists in the woods out back. There is a garden hose hooked up to a timer to keep the level up then they just add the chemicals to quota. The water is quite fresh due to the constant supply of water but I doubt the chemistry ever stabilizes.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    You don't need one of those funky brace-like contraptions to train your arms to enter and find EVF! And "accident prone" was the label they put on all of us kids who were too physically active to stay out of minor emergency medical clinics for more than a few months at a time... between my siblings and me, I think my mom must have had a frequent-customer discount ("pay for 5 casts--crutches, eye patches, sets of stitches, etc.--and get one free!").
    Now that I have kids of my own I can empathize for what I put my parents through. Luckily my kids didn't express that gene lol.
    You don't need one of those funky brace-like contraptions to train your arms to enter and find EVF! And "accident prone" was the label they put on all of us kids who were too physically active to stay out of minor emergency medical clinics for more than a few months at a time... between my siblings and me, I think my mom must have had a frequent-customer discount ("pay for 5 casts--crutches, eye patches, sets of stitches, etc.--and get one free!").
    That's the murkiest water I think I have ever seen. Is the chlorine out of balance?
    Not sure if there is a name of the exercise, but I have trouble doing deadlifts the conventional way grasping the bar in front, as my knees seem to get in the way and I usually end up hurting my back. Instead, I've been standing in front of the bar grasping it behind (both palms facing back) and it seems to work quite well. I use the squat rack assembly where the bar moves along free moving guides, and set the height such that my knees do not bend more than 90 degrees.

My body seems to be handling these well, but I try to leave a couple reps on the table for safety.

Happy New Year!
    What is a deadlift behind the back?

1-2 fast dolphin kicks makes a big difference!
    Thanks!

Yes, the back is 90% , which is good
    Excellent workout for recovery, balance and control. I hope your back is feeling better now.
    Yes, I 've been laying off the benefits of yoga. Been stretching my hips though. Kicking has improved.

Thanks Alex
    Wow, congrats to your wife for that award. That's a bummer about your back and the moth hole. Hope the back heals quickly... you should really think about some yoga or stretching... squats and running create a lot of compression in the lower back, and require some stretching to decompress.
    Not exactly complaining, more like whining
    you're complaining that 80F is too cold?
    They're rarely seen at mid-day during hot months unless something forces them out, unfortunately, it was in the afternoon when stepped on one while carrying a large fern. I vividly recall the day before the incedent, my neighbor broadcasted this pungent "snake repellent" stuff throughout his yard. I spotted a huge rat snake wandering about soon after. The next day I spotted a large viper underneath my flip-flop along with pain and three pairs of puncture holes on my left foot. A totally freak accident and a recieving end of a bad deal on my part, but I'm happy I still have my foot for the amount of venom I recieved.

All I can say is wear shoes in areas these thing are about, and be wary if your neighbor spreads out snake repellent (smells like moth-balls), they will come out of their dens looking for refuge in another yard.
    My brother-in-law was mowing his yard over the weekend. He was nearly bitten by one as well. He happened to lift his left leg right before the snake jumped at him. He proceeded to turn the mower in the direction of the snake.

Unlike you, he wasn't nice about letting it live another day. I don't really blame him.
    Thanks Joel. Before I was bitten I would never see these thingin the yard, p perhaps I wasn't looking out for them. I probably would have euthanized it, but I have greater respect to these things now
    Copperheads are nasty for sure. We live about four blocks from the ocean and have had both copperheads and cottonmouths in our back yard. Our dog is good at cornering them for me. I'm not a huge snake fan and definitely don't want them near my kids or dog.

Glad all is well you and your cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Neustadt
    I suggest relocating it FAR FAR AWAY. Good kitty! Hope she didn't get bitten.
    She is awesome!

I suggest relocating it FAR FAR AWAY. Good kitty! Hope she didn't get bitten.