Blog Comments

I suggest relocating it FAR FAR AWAY. Good kitty! Hope she didn't get bitten.
    Here is my old start, might be faster :

Updated August 25th, 2013 at 09:57 AM by __steve__
    Track starts are much quicker for me. I have found the blocks with the wedges/fins allow for an even quicker start. IMO, you are heading in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Great job, steve!
    Thank you Mike
    Great job, steve!
    Thanks Joel and Fort

Like golf, I must make a habbit to never look up

I also need to learn how to breathe without losing rhythm and stroke form, I'll put up the snorkel for awhile. And instead of worrying when to breathe, I'll know where to breathe beforehand.
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    Nicely done Steve! A PB is a PB. With all the variables in the sprints, any drop is good.
    Agree!

You should have planned out exactly where you will breathe before the race. 1 breath is impressive. I think it's easy for the mind to wander more in long course 50s. And I'm always wondering when I'll get to the friggin wall.
    Nicely done Steve! A PB is a PB. With all the variables in the sprints, any drop is good.

I have always had a bad habit of lookin for the wall a bit. Especially in long course. I blame it on not being able to train in a LC pool. Gotta blame something.

Wish I could have been attended that meet. I thought the meet would have been up on Meet Mobile but I was wrong.
    Thanks Frank
    Great progress with swimming moderate LCM 50 FR in :33 at SPL 35 and 2 breaths!

Earlier this week my coach had me do a set of LCM 50s FR as each 50 breathing 2, then 4, 6, and 8, so generally about 4 breaths per 50. Then another round was 3,5,7,9 which resulted in 3 breaths per 50 because I finished before 9.
    Glad I was able to think up something useful to use. There's just so much between a good and bad start so I do them whenever I can
    Great workout. I will follow your example this weekend to do a similar set like the 11x50 on 2:00; block start to break-out, 15m fast then EZ.
    Exactly lol
    With the golf game I built to a 14 sec, 15 stroke 25, was satisfied. Then I decided to go 25 AFAP - like 14 seconds in 18 strokes??? I really need to reevaluate what's going on here lol.
    That's almost as frustrating as real golf! Like driving all the way to the green and then 4-putting the hole.
    They were yummy, and sour.

I am lucky to have a block to use. This pool is opened just over 3 months of the year. It has just one intact block - lol. Use can be limited (kids use it as a diving board, or someone could be swimming in the respective lane). But if the chance to use it arises, I am on it.
    Magaritas aren't interesting?!

Nice block work! Jealous.
    Breakouts are also one of my weaknesses, I'm such a procrastinator.

I find it difficult to time the breakout such that the initial strokes are at full steam. I always end up trying to adjust my rhythm (I guess, or position) to get my arms going full speed, but by that time I've already been through a few strokes and seconds. But yes, in LCM there are only two areas to mess up, the start and breakout
    I like all your workouts! No garbage yardage. Nice to see you doing lots of starts. After all, if a start and breakout is 35% of your 50 race, you should be doing lots of starts! The only thing I would change is to always do a breakout if you can. The reason is that is a serious competitive advantage for you - it's the critical connection between the speed off the blocks and the super fine tuning into the stroke and maintaining speed. If you can get to the 15 meter mark faster, with less energy (because you've been working on them!) and also carrying more speed yet use the least % of your total energy relative to the competition, then WOW you will have a great race!
    Thanks Frank, I guess 26 is somewhat fast even with fins, it's good to feel what it's like to go that speed. I remember seeing in Ande's blog he goes 26 without fins at practice!

Yes, I will indeed take great caution with the no breathers. A good thing is the constant attention of lifeguards.

I did modify the snorkel some and it helped. Made the tube closer to my head and also cut 1.5 inches off the top.
    Awesome quality swimming! 26 is blazing fast - you are making very solid progress on the speed aspect of your swimming. I do not need to say this to you, but I will anyway, always take great care when doing your hypoxic swimming. The head orientation issue with the snorkel will continue to be minor factor even when you are a long time snorkel expert, occasionally it just catches or gets water in the mouth piece, disrupting everything.