Blog Comments

I think I was successful in voting for her - a great honor for her!
    Thanks Joel, I offered the congrats.
    Tell Shelley congrats! That is quite the achievement.
    BTW, I love to use fins also. As long as they don't become a crutch for me.
    Mens 200 FR you were 24.67
    Mixed 200 FR you were 24.62

Very fast and consistant! Those relays were basically back to back.
    Meet Mobile app is awesome.
    200 - Swam for fun and warmup for the relays 2:38
    wore the endurance jammer

100IM - I scratched it and was a good thing because by the time I loosened up then got out to squeeze into my Tyr suit the relays were already taking off and going quickly.

In the relays I don't have the results but I believe I managed 24 high in both
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    Nice swim Steve! It was good seeing you this weekend and you did great! I agree with knelson on his advice to hold your streamline a little longer. We need to hook up again sometime.
    Thanks Joel, we all did good and those relays were a blast. My next meet might be LCM in Greenville, but I may travel to Athens for Classic city as well.

Exhausted, we just got in an hour ago but the drive back was not bad at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Wow, nice time drop! The only suggestion I have based on your video is it seems like you pulled a little early off the wall. Keep that streamline going just a tad longer. Nice turn, though. You didn't hesitate at all going into the wall. Very nice looking swim!
    Thanks, I don't stay below long at all. I'll experiment with riding the glide longer now that I am flexible enough for better streamline. Afetr all, that is where peak velocity occurs so it makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Fantastic time drops! Interesting that your second one was faster. I personally find that my 50 free is always better if it's not the very first event. (This doesn't seem to be the case with my other strokes.) Good luck tomorrow!
    Thank you Fort! Your tips have been very helpful for both speed and my shoulder . Most of my fly will be either drills or with fins. I also believe the 2 month Plyos effort has already paid off a little
    Nice swim Steve! It was good seeing you this weekend and you did great! I agree with knelson on his advice to hold your streamline a little longer. We need to hook up again sometime.
    Fantastic time drops! Interesting that your second one was faster. I personally find that my 50 free is always better if it's not the very first event. (This doesn't seem to be the case with my other strokes.) Good luck tomorrow!
    Wow, nice time drop! The only suggestion I have based on your video is it seems like you pulled a little early off the wall. Keep that streamline going just a tad longer. Nice turn, though. You didn't hesitate at all going into the wall. Very nice looking swim!
    Shoot, soon you will be rocking the snorkel and buying $200 suits. Haha
    I'm with you on the stubborn thing... being a converted runner, my "purist" streak makes me especially resistant to the so-called gadgets; but some of them really do help.
    I should have grabbed a pair of fins earlier. I think they might be a necessary technical tool for those of us who started swimming as an adult. One thing for sure is it makes fly fun.

In retrospect it seems the same stubbornness that has gotten me through plateaus of progress had also kept me from using them.
    I've been using short fins off and on for about a year now in some of my drill sets and noticed some of the same things... I think you get used to them pretty quickly, especially the part about the arms figuring out how to keep up with a body moving much more quickly. That's probably a good thing, but I've been using the fins mostly for strength building in kick sets the last six months.
    Could be, I changed my diet recently. In order to slow my metabolism (trying to gain weight) I've been eating less often but greater amounts. Managed to add 2 lbs so far.
    Maybe it was something you ate? or forgot to eat? or coffee? I get cold/chills sometimes just after I get really hot when swimming hard during a long set.
    Swedes are THE way to go. Although I have never needed to go the extra mile to customize mine like you have done.
    cause swedes rock!! and they're cheap!
    Why does it seem like only guys are into swedes? I only know one woman who wears one, off the top of my head.
    Glad I could provide entertainment

Originally planned to get underwater footage for stroke flaws and review (I do this monthly), but the water was too cloudy and green to make any use. So I decided to use the camera as a speed checkpoint with its level of timing precision as well as recovery critique. Then I figured to make the blog a little more interesting.

I use that pool often, it is in terrible condition. There is a garden hose with a constant supply of city water going in to compensate for leakage. Every other window is a sliding door, one of them has a broken frame so a sheet of glass just sits there. My snorkel collects hairs with each lap. However it is just too convienient to pass up, it is within 2 miles of my home and within 3 miles of my work, and very few swimmers at a time. Use of the entire club is $39/month for both my wife and I, and the current rate is almost twice that for a new single membership.

This is scary: Blue to green
    Updated January 30th, 2013 at 08:29 AM by __steve__
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast