Blog Comments

Glad I could provide entertainment

Originally planned to get underwater footage for stroke flaws and review (I do this monthly), but the water was too cloudy and green to make any use. So I decided to use the camera as a speed checkpoint with its level of timing precision as well as recovery critique. Then I figured to make the blog a little more interesting.

I use that pool often, it is in terrible condition. There is a garden hose with a constant supply of city water going in to compensate for leakage. Every other window is a sliding door, one of them has a broken frame so a sheet of glass just sits there. My snorkel collects hairs with each lap. However it is just too convienient to pass up, it is within 2 miles of my home and within 3 miles of my work, and very few swimmers at a time. Use of the entire club is $39/month for both my wife and I, and the current rate is almost twice that for a new single membership.

This is scary: Blue to green
    Updated January 30th, 2013 at 08:29 AM by __steve__
    Thanks for sharing the videos. Good quality video that played well on my PC. Great display of freestyle power, energy, awesome kicking, and swimming in a narrow lane by the wall with no gutter. I also like the windows around the pool.
    here's the kick (looks like I'm whipping butter):
    I just used his stretch band moves for description
    Wow, That Guy makes guest appearances.
    Last week it was in the 80's and I caught a little of the spring fever. Now it's bitter cold again as I file my under-withheld (again) federal blues return (to them lol). I fixed that for next year. Might also glance back over the related article "Swimming Through the Winter Blues"

The fly was DPS with 4 kicks per cycle going super slow (maybe 25s per 25). It's a fine line between trying to keep fly form and shoulders healthy but I guess it was a little risky. Nevertheless I still need to research some on fins.
    Updated January 23rd, 2013 at 07:15 AM by __steve__
    Fly with no warm up?! Yikes.

Do you have one of those lights that help winter blues?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Maybe you're doing too many plyos? A little goes a long way.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Have you considered trying fins for fly once in awhile? (I almost only swim fly with fins these days.) Or SDK-ing more so that you're not taking as many strokes? Also, why do fly after a sprint when you're fatigued? Maybe do it when you're unfatigued and can keep good form.
    I have never tried fins and I like the idea more now than ever with aching shoulder
    That happens to me in the gym sometimes. It all feels great at the time and then, whammo, the next day I'm sore. Maybe you're doing too many plyos? A little goes a long way.

Butterfly is hard on the shoulders. Have you considered trying fins for fly once in awhile? (I almost only swim fly with fins these days.) Or SDK-ing more so that you're not taking as many strokes? Also, why do fly after a sprint when you're fatigued? Maybe do it when you're unfatigued and can keep good form.
    I think it might help my shoulders, even though presses with a barbell seem to aggravate them if I lock my elbows. I also think it would be fun to learn how to perform an unassisted handstand without crashing into the coffee table. I looked into it and there seems to be several important steps to get up there and balance.

Thanks for the tip on plyos. I've already worked on jumping exercises, but not quite in a plyometric fashion. After quick reading I found that one must land and execute the jump within 0.2 seconds. I have been working on strength and flexibility for a while, and as a sprinter, I think plyos would be very appropriate.
    What's the rational for handstands? (Though I like them myself.)
    You're welcome Mike

Next time I'll get under 6:00
    This may sound weird, but I try to get my donation time in range of my 500 free.

Thanks for donating blood, folks like me who received it are grateful.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314