Blog Comments

Yep,
    thought the warmup would help flow some rhythm, but all it did was remind me of 2 things: the shoulder workout night b4, and I don't swim like that
    8 x 50 free @ 1:00 for warm up is way too hard! I usually go as slow as possible for my 500 warm up and often use fins to let the shoulders adjust slowly.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Way to go on the IM, Steve! Although you are disappointed with the other swims, the experience of competition does help us fine-tune different areas. Keep up the strong training and it'll soon all feel as though it is falling into place
    Thanks Mike!

The 100IM has quite a fun race structure to it, and I have some room for available improvement. Might not be the fastest way for me to race it, but I like to take it easy until the free so that I have a true sprint finish. I'll continue leave some on the table and slowly pick up the stroke legs as I gain experience, but not so I'm toasted after the back.
    Way to go on the IM, Steve! Although you are disappointed with the other swims, the experience of competition does help us fine-tune different areas. Keep up the strong training and it'll soon all feel as though it is falling into place
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Sometimes meets like this are disappointing, but exactly what you need to get really focused on the issues holding you back. Work on the tweaks and you'll be back full speed in no time!
    Thanks FlyStorms, I will. And you do the same leading up to your swim. Take it easy too - use them fins, you've done the training .

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    50 year olds make all kinds of mistakes. Elite swimmers make all kinds of mistakes. Sprinting is not very forgiving of mistakes. And so we all have races where something goes awry from time to time. (I made mistakes in 2 of my 3 races last weekend.) The only thing you can do is make a point to really practice turns in your workouts.
    Thanks for the advice Leslie. It appears I need to plan and manage more in these preparations. Like manage to make an effort to train in appropriate pools more often, include more turning in environments that more closely resemble competition facilities, and focus on my own race.
    keep your head in your own lane
    Popov once said something to that extent in an interview for young athletes
    50 year olds make all kinds of mistakes. Elite swimmers make all kinds of mistakes. Sprinting is not very forgiving of mistakes. And so we all have races where something goes awry from time to time. (I made mistakes in 2 of my 3 races last weekend.) The only thing you can do is make a point to really practice turns in your workouts. And keep your head in your own lane. I like that you focused on the "fun;" that will help keep nerves at bay.
    Updated April 4th, 2016 at 11:42 AM by The Fortress
    Sometimes meets like this are disappointing, but exactly what you need to get really focused on the issues holding you back. Work on the tweaks and you'll be back full speed in no time!
    Thanks Patrick

Just over 6 yrs of racing and this will be my 3rd age group already! Kinda cool
    Tomorrow I'll be in a new age group. I think it's more competitive for dixie zone
    Happy birthday! I always keep thinking - quite naively - that when I age up, it will finally get easier, but it doesn't. It always seems like the same guys age with me AND some new guys come out of the woodwork. Keep on keeping on!
    Hmm ... except I doubt any of that transfers to the pool. And could make your legs too tired for the pool.
    This is so true. Even with just 1 mile a week I need extra recovery

3 -4 weeks out to racing, I stop the running. Though I know I may probably be 0.01 or 2(?) faster without any running at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    You remind me that I should go back to the treadmill. Back in '08 and '09, I used to do this fartlek kind of 20-30 minute sprint/walk workout on a treadmill. I think it was a great way to build both power, speed and aerobic capacity. I had forgotten about that.

The one day meet looks fun.
    Hmm ... except I doubt any of that transfers to the pool. And could make your legs too tired for the pool.

I love drive by one day meets!
    You remind me that I should go back to the treadmill. Back in '08 and '09, I used to do this fartlek kind of 20-30 minute sprint/walk workout on a treadmill. I think it was a great way to build both power, speed and aerobic capacity. I had forgotten about that.
    I like it. Probably the majority of my aerobic activity include this once a week mouse-wheel skit. My goal is to hold 8.6 for 11 min, just over half way there.

Had to start out easy at first, I've already been injured once from using one, and it still leaves me drained for 36 hours.

Yes, should be. I really like the drive-by meets within a decent drive. Less pressure, economical, and I still have over a day with the family at home for the remaining weekend time. Excellent preparation for the big meets.

There's also a LCM drive-by I try to do each year at Athens GA, Gabrielsen Natatorium to help me prepare for our state meet.
    Certain the treadmill did me in. Running is no joke! Everything tired and sore.

Most excellent meet. As you experiment with your 50 and your 100 and breathing in there, you should check out the video floating around swimswam for Caeleb Dressel's recent 41.0 100 free: it looks like he's breathing practically every stroke. Not sure if that's just because he's a super-human, but, much like distance swimmers have totally re-thought the old school bi-lateral breathe every 3 pattern from the 70s and the 80s, maybe sprinters need to grab more oxygen?
    Thanks Patrick
    For my 100 fr I do breathe every 2. I also try to build the race on the conservative side, so I don't suffer afterwards (once had a terrible experience with a 100 LC), except for the recent 100, where I had enough energy to experiment some on the last length. The split didn't represent this though, because I destroyed my #2 turn

Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Nice job, Steve! Well done persevering through that first 50 free
    Thanks Mike
    I was very thankful I was able to make the turn fine and take it home. Learning experience for me
    Nice job, Steve! Well done persevering through that first 50 free
    Most excellent meet. As you experiment with your 50 and your 100 and breathing in there, you should check out the video floating around swimswam for Caeleb Dressel's recent 41.0 100 free: it looks like he's breathing practically every stroke. Not sure if that's just because he's a super-human, but, much like distance swimmers have totally re-thought the old school bi-lateral breathe every 3 pattern from the 70s and the 80s, maybe sprinters need to grab more oxygen?
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    So perhaps there may be a 100 IM race in your USMS competition future, as you also have significant speed capacity in fly, breast, and most likely also in backstroke?
    I have done the 1 IM once and I do like it. One thing that keeps me from entering it is that I haven't really took the time to learn the turns and transitions (even though it just takes one youtube click to start)
    Thanks Doug and Leslie
    1 day or 2 day meet? Seems an awfully lot for one day.
    Edited the post (2 days)

I will experiment a little more with that type of kick and when to use it. For myself, what I do know is, with fins, it is hands-down much faster than the flutter kick, like 6 tenths for a 25! But for a well rested 25 AFAP (without fins), it tends to be a tad slower a little more often than it is faster. What I think it might help me with is beefing up the tempo when the legs and arms turn into sand, like after the breath in a 50 LCM, or final 15m in a 100. Definitely less efficient, but it engages larger muscle groups that might have remaining energy to use.
    Hate to say I actually like the 100 fr
    So perhaps there may be a 100 IM race in your USMS competition future, as you also have significant speed capacity in fly, breast, and most likely also in backstroke?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    Good meet, Steve. The only thing keeping you from sub 25 is more frequent racing.
    I had read about Phelps experimenting with a freestyle finish using dolphin kicks. I have to see some better footage to tell if that works. Hard for me to envision you doing it for the entire last 25.
    Great job Steve! Lots of good racing and experimenting. 1 day or 2 day meet? Seems an awfully lot for one day.

I saw the article(s) about Phelps dolphin kick finish. From the video, it didn't seem like it helped him all that much. I should probably experiment with that as well.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast