Blog Comments

1 x 100 Fly FAST (1:01)
    Well, yeah! try doing 5 Fast 100 fly of them on 6:00! Good 100 fly time.
    Why drag? I'm personally not a fan of suit drag because it can throw off your stroke technique and body position. You could end up teaching your body incorrectly ...

Great 100 fly time!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I couldn't fathom wearing swim trunks. They take forever to dry. Ugh! Obviously, you wear them at the beach or the summer club for leisure.
    What? You don't wear your speedo on the beach?!!!??!!
    Don't worry - I wouldn't either...except for when we were at Zones in Hawaii in age group, but there were also thousands of age group kids running around out there too, so it was kinda normal.
    I couldn't fathom wearing swim trunks. They take forever to dry. Ugh! Obviously, you wear them at the beach or the summer club for leisure.
    Quote Originally Posted by kgernert
    Glad to hear you like your breaststroke fins so far. I've been debating getting some because my left foot will not turn out and I've been told that using the fins would help get the proper feel of where my feet are supposed to be during the propulsive phase. What do you think?
    I honestly don't feel as if the fins "make" my feet turn out. Maybe this is because I have already been okay at this before. I'm sure the fins will help align someone's kick that is not 100% to start with, or at least the fin will slip through the water if you were to have a scissor-type kick.
    I definitely feel more pressure, and get much more distance during the squeezing of the kick. Many people here on USMS mentioned about the increased pressure on the inside of the knees. I didn't really feel pressure there, mine was more in the ankles, and this may be from trying to kick fast with the heavier weighted object on my foot.
    I did find during the pullouts with the dolphin kick action, that these fins do absolutely nothing to assist this motion.
    They are fun to use, but being as how I am not a true breaststroker, these will just be a fun playtoy for the time being.
    Glad to hear you like your breaststroke fins so far. I've been debating getting some because my left foot will not turn out and I've been told that using the fins would help get the proper feel of where my feet are supposed to be during the propulsive phase. What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Not really...our year round team here in Wenatchee went to s*** the year or so after my coach, who was the originator of the team, retired around 2005. Team attendance and work ethic have both dropped a lot than I remember. This could be financially based also, as the new coach has increased the monthly dues substantially from before. He doesn't have any other job other than coaching is probably why. My coach with the team was a full time biology teacher at the high school, and thus didn't have the need for a bunch of $$$ from the swim team.
    It's really being driven home this week at our pool how much difference coaches can make. There are 2 visiting college teams using the facility. One arrives every day ready to work, with swimmers that are cheerful and gung-ho throughout their practices. The other has a strikingly high percentage of swimmers who are whiny about having to get out of bed, and who try a million different ways to get out of sets. After just observing each coach for about 5 seconds, it's easy to match them up with the correct team!
    Ha! I guess that what constitutes for "working hard" means something different in Central Washington! That is a great story. Maybe the guy lack motivation due to the lack of male swimming scholarships for college. Just a thought.
    Not really...our year round team here in Wenatchee went to s*** the year or so after my coach, who was the originator of the team, retired around 2005. Team attendance and work ethic have both dropped a lot than I remember. This could be financially based also, as the new coach has increased the monthly dues substantially from before. He doesn't have any other job other than coaching is probably why. My coach with the team was a full time biology teacher at the high school, and thus didn't have the need for a bunch of $$$ from the swim team.
    just like he's working hard right now
    Ha! I guess that what constitutes for "working hard" means something different in Central Washington! That is a great story. Maybe the guy lack motivation due to the lack of male swimming scholarships for college. Just a thought.
    You should have done another 400 to reach 6000 for the day!
    Should have, but I had to get the kids dressed after their swim lessons...back to being the good daddy part.
    You should have done another 400 to reach 6000 for the day!
    I am sure that you could. Plus, if they just do HS swimming, a good portion of the swimmers don't even do the 500. They think that the 200 is a sprint.
    Yikes! I've had issues with dizziness too but never to the point of losing consciousness. Hope that you have better luck Tuesday morning!
    Warmup
    3 x 250 Free @ 4:00

16 x 250 Free @ 3:30 w/
    (Rule #1 - every 4th length is Fly)
    (Rule #2 - every 4th 250 is Fly)
    **I ended up doing the 3 warmup ones, & then 11 of these 250s. I did do the 4th lengths fly, but was not able to do #4 & 8 all fly as hoped. Too many people in the lane. #11 in the set was just an easy freestyle cooldown. Finished with 3500 yards. Monday we start counting all over.

I just didn't have it in me to continue... Plus with the increase in swimmers in the pool this morning it was getting difficult to find a place where I could continue the set without interrupting either mine or someone else's workouts.
    I still haven't gone down to the Long Beach meet, but some year I'll have to. There's a lot of things going for it: fast competition, short direct flights from Seattle to LB, same time zone, etc. The timing is the real negative for me. It's right after Thanksgiving and it seems like there's always too much other stuff going on between Thanksgiving and Christmas. For example, this year I went skiing that weekend. You've got to set your priorities, after all!
    I would have to check out the prices and times of a cross country flight and losing 3 hours of time zone changes...7 am warmups would be like 4:00 for me.
    This meet starts at 10:00 am. If you're not doing a distance event, you show up at 9:30 for positive check in and then warm up. My first event is usually around 11:00 am -- very civilized.

But I don't do time changes very well myself, so I understand.

I would like to make it to the Rowdy Gaines Classic one year, maybe 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Another meet to consider, a bit earlier in the SCM season, is the Rowdy Gaines meet in Orlando. The last two years it's been mid-October. I swam in 2009 and it was a great event:
    * (generally) cheap flights to/from Orlando,
    * reasonable hotels walking distance to pool, and
    * best of all, a real-wall, super deep 25 meter course (diving well)

Competition was great in 2009, but I didn't make it out there this year. I'll probably go back in 2012 when I'm back at the bottom of the age group
    Yet another possibility to choose from. I like trying to get out to see areas of the country I haven't been too. Anything across the Mississippi River would be good.
    Another meet to consider, a bit earlier in the SCM season, is the Rowdy Gaines meet in Orlando. The last two years it's been mid-October. I swam in 2009 and it was a great event:
    * (generally) cheap flights to/from Orlando,
    * reasonable hotels walking distance to pool, and
    * best of all, a real-wall, super deep 25 meter course (diving well)

Competition was great in 2009, but I didn't make it out there this year. I'll probably go back in 2012 when I'm back at the bottom of the age group
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I don't live there -- I'm in metro DC. I always stay at the USMS deisgnated hotel, which is pretty inexpensive by Boston standards and close to the pool. No time for tours! I was at the meet from 9-5 both days. I had my son with me that weekend and sent him off on the MBTA to check out colleges while I swam.
    I would have to check out the prices and times of a cross country flight and losing 3 hours of time zone changes...7 am warmups would be like 4:00 for me.
    If I do decide to come out to the Boston area next year, I may need a tour guide...or at least a place to stay.
    I don't live there -- I'm in metro DC. I always stay at the USMS deisgnated hotel, which is pretty inexpensive by Boston standards and close to the pool. No time for tours! I was at the meet from 9-5 both days. I had my son with me that weekend and sent him off on the MBTA to check out colleges while I swam.