Blog Comments

Good suggestion, Bill. A future vlog will be devoted entirely to beer-gutted hairy men in need of a well-trained liposuctioning-electrolysist.

Oh, and waterproof hypoallergenic Scotch Guard teflon coating for tummy tucked deplilated skin above the naval and below the knees.

Now there's some products I can use!
    Big Brother is watching: the "ads by Google" inserted above this issue are for bone cancer treatment and shoulder pain treatment.
    Who else is watching? Jim, are you getting some of this revenue? If not, you deserve complimentary treatments from the advertisers!
    Thanks, Leslie and Kirsten and whoever else helped push this vlog over the self-imposed 100 hit limit!

I can and shall vlog again forsooth!
    Kirsten, I am delighted by your comment and your mouth froth!

Thanks ever so much.

By the way, the shots don't hurt any more, and they are no longer administered directly into the stomach.

8 more hits to go!
    Bobinator and I are coincidentally both sidelined right now with our respective injuries/maladies. We, therefore, are in great need of the kind of entertainment that only Jim the Great can put forth. I am frothing at the mouth (or is it nose?) to hear what his times were at Clarion, but apparently he maintains some sort of 100-hit-minimum for each of his vlogs (ah, pride, the nemesis of the gods). I am doing my part. Will you?
    at clarion so forgive typing. i swam with it till the splintery sensations started worrying me, then took 2 weeks off. you probably just triggered a protective muscle spasm. i'd avoid provocative activities for a week or two, then ease in...

2500 doesn't seem like easing!

thanks for the best wishes!
    Good luck in your 1,000 Jim! Crush me!
    KGirl
    Who doesn't?

Who the **** **** **** **** ***************** *** doesn't???
    Great article Jimby! It contained all the information I was trying to find and was extremely entertaining at the same time!

So you did continue to swim with the rib pain.
    Okay, I'll admit I went to the Monon Center yesterday. I took 2 Aleve's, got a lane to myself, did a slow 2,000 free followed by a slow 500 backstroke. No flip turns and slow enough to use shallow breathing only. It hurt the whole way but didn't seem to get any worse. (I took that as a positive sign)
    The problem was that a couple hours later it seemed to tighten down worse than it was before. Last night was unbearable, and today I haven't even tried to walk around much. I feel like my mid-section is on fire!
    With that said I've decided to just quit trying and let it heal for a few days in the sedentary state.
    I am really worried about school Monday. My job is super-active and I'm not sure I can move all the equipment around and keep up with the kids. I may just try to do an "old-school" kickball type day and let it go.
    I'm sure I'll be "over-the-hump" soon and be laughing about this stupid mishap!

I hope you have a great meet this week-end Jim!
    Just remember the faster you swim that 1,000 free the quicker it will be over and the happier you will be!!
    Your Friend,

Bob
    i like Amanda's crude Australian humor!
    Off

you go, Amanda, with your rude Australian humor. You may have grown up tying "me kangaroos down, sport" and playing other similar prisoner games, but we Mayflowerites are too prone to blushing at the whispered crudity.

So please, beat (a hasty retreat) off this topic!
    I so want to say something rude
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimmerGirlKT
    Jim, if beating a girl gives you a thrill, then I'm happy to make your day!
    Beating, yes!

Beating up, no!

Being beaten up by?

Jury is out.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Kirsten up to the 1000 part

eg Cumulative Subtractive 1 30.58 30.58 2 1:04.56 33.98 3 1:39.15 34.59 4 2:14.43 35.28 5 2:49.77 35.34 6 3:25.18 35.41 7 4:00.87 35.69 8 4:36.76 35.89 9 5:12.62 35.86 10 5:48.49 35.87 11 6:23.85 35.36 12 6:59.56 35.71 13 7:35.10 35.54 14 8:10.21 35.11 15 8:45.58 35.37 16 9:21.05 35.47 17 9:56.64 35.59 18 10:32.43 35.79 19 11:08.08 35.65 20 11:43.94 35.86
    Jim up to the 1000 part
    11:43.09 (36.00)

I was still just barely ahead at this point! Thanks for letting me research this...no matter how slow I go, I still have the 2010 Jim-Kirsten 1000 championship already in the bag!
    Jim, if beating a girl gives you a thrill, then I'm happy to make your day!
    Good luck on your 1000 and the rest of the meet, Jim! You could always just take it out smooth and back off from there...
    my advice for the 100 is to breath every 4 and work the walls really hard. Wait...1000?
    I'm glad you've had lots of response--thanks all for ideas for a sprinter doing his first 1000 ever. In a rubber suit!
    Quote Originally Posted by EricOrca
    I have a lot of respect for distance swimmers... you brought up something I don't think about, yet is ever the reality when scheduled to race several events at a meet. I hope you do well at your meet !
    Thanks, Eric!

In honor of your excellent avatar picture, I will re-post a picture from an earlier vlog that did not, in my opinion, get the attention it deserved.

Thanks to the wizardy of my twin brother John and his rapier-sharp Adobe abilities!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken of the Sea
    I can offer no advice to someone as fast as you, except to share my own strategies for the 1000 (and 1650)

5. breathe to the side that the slower person is swimming. It's depressing if you can see someone going faster on the other side. If both sides are going faster, think mean thoughts about them.

7. use the ladder to get out.

Good luck!!!!!
    I swim with my eyes closed, which is why I can no longer wear my wedding ring. I crashed into the wall with my ring finger, which swelled up and almost gave me gangrene.

I have made peace with the fact that i probably swim 2 percent longer that I need to, diagonal to diagonal.

The ladder, like pneumonia, is us old people's friend!
    I have a lot of respect for distance swimmers... you brought up something I don't think about, yet is ever the reality when scheduled to race several events at a meet. I hope you do well at your meet !
    I can offer no advice to someone as fast as you, except to share my own strategies for the 1000 (and 1650)

1. Hope that your goggles stay on
    2. Hope that you don't hit the bottom of the pool during the diving in (or start in the water if the pool is less than 12 feet deep)
    3. don't have a panic attack and drown
    4. try to do at least one flip turn during the race
    5. breathe to the side that the slower person is swimming. It's depressing if you can see someone going faster on the other side. If both sides are going faster, think mean thoughts about them.
    6. try to keep the comments to your counter to a minimum.
    7. use the ladder to get out.

Good luck!!!!!