Blog Comments

A swimmer nurse friend on Facebook cautioned me about using drugs dispensed in the 1997 as potentially unsafe.

As regular readers of everything I write may know, I was skeptical, sensing money-grubbing by Big Pharma as one reason for an overly cautious approach to "expiration dates."

I told Lida I would do some searching on the Internet to see what the literature has to say about this question.

Here, for what it's worth, is what I found and just posted on Facebook:

Lida, did some very preliminary searching, and found a fascinating report on exactly this subject from the Harvard Medical School family health guide. An excerpt:

Most of what is known about drug expiration dates comes from a study conducted by the Food and Drug Administration at the request of the military. With a large and expensive stockpile of drugs, the military faced tossing out and replacing its drugs every few years. What they found from the study is 90% of more than 100 drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, were perfectly good to use even 15 years after the expiration date.

You can read the whole report here, but once again, it appears that when the Conventional Wisdom and Jim Thornton's Personal Intuition about Things are in conflict, smart people go with the latter, no matter how counter-intuitive it may seem.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/up...ate1103a.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    My teammate went on a beta blocker for high blood pressure and his workouts and meet times absolutely sucked. Combine that with suit deprivation, and you'll be in the looney bin.
    Was this that guy who is a year or two younger than me and whose wife is afraid he will die if he competes?

What I have been reading on the hypertension forum thread -- and Kurt appears to semi-corroborate -- is that Lisinopril (an ACE inhibitor, if I am correct, not a beta blocker) might not hurt swimming performance as much.

A swimmer on our team, Dan Nadler, takes beta blockers and he can't get his heart rate much up over 120, which I would think might impact how hard you can work out and how intensely you can race...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    Pill parties?.. awesome. I'm not sure about the drug holiday. I've always thought the B blocker may be bad for an athlete. Lisinopril may be good.

That film was exactly what I was referring to.
    My teammate went on a beta blocker for high blood pressure and his workouts and meet times absolutely sucked. Combine that with suit deprivation, and you'll be in the looney bin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    Pill parties?.. awesome. I'm not sure about the drug holiday. I've always thought the B blocker may be bad for an athlete. Lisinopril may be good.

Do you know if that ointment really works?
    I have ordered the ointment 7 times now, but shipped it back each time because the applicator did not come with the product.

And with this morning's BP reading--103/57--I suspect I am going to need very vigorous application by a vixen to trigger so much as a trickle of corpuscular migration to the flaccid appendage.

Maybe I should watch the opening of Le Chien Andolusian a few more times to get the BP up.

Do you know if that ointment really works?
    Dr. Dickson Update!

* Important News about Illegal lisinopril Trial *

Just tested myself again, and I knew something was up when the cuff didn't hurt my arm squeezing me.

Results: 111/54.

Amateur prognosis:

Hemorraghic stroke: unlikely tonight.

Death by hypoxia induced by sleep apnea: Orange alert!
    Quote Originally Posted by bsherm81
    You gotta admire the talent of the newspaper editor putting the gun advertisement right next to the tea party article! If I'm the gun dealer I renew my ad knowing I am getting spectacular placement.

I think your 1650 is easier to do with the blood pressure than the sprints...you don't need so much high end (head)bursting effort.
    Bill, this Glock special ad was not the only one in our paper today. In the sports section, in a spot usually reserved for a quarter page ad showing a Tiger Woods Vixen in full pouty lipped, lordosis, breast-forward jutting configuration, urging you to buy PenisMagnumBusterOintment 8000 ("Let me rub this on you, big boy, and all your problems will disappear!"), anyhow, in this spot, there was another Glock ad as prominently displayed as the "open for business" sign above the Vixen's inviting cameltoe.

My brother's wife's cousin was a Philadelphia cop for several decades, and he said he and his fellow officers had a phrase they used for these (usually weasely white guy) pistol fetishists.

Caution: I don't normally endorse this word, but perhaps in this particular context, it isn't so bad.

The cop term for these firearm worshippers: "gun faggots."

Just as dollar signs light up in the eyes of restaurateurs when the obese come in for dinner, so do gun salesmen go hog wild whenever Obama puts the Tea Bag liars in their place.

I'm sure yesterday's Healthcare Summit and the timing of the Glock specials (which I haven't ever seen in our paper before) was no coincidence.

Talk about your bad Dadaism!
    Kurt,

I suspect this is not generally endorsed by ER physicians, but...

I found a bottle of propranolol that a doctor prescribed for me in 1997. It was old, I admit. The pharmacy that dispensed it has gone out of business. I have no idea what it was prescribed for--I didn't have high bp of any variety back then.

It may have been because I was giving a speech or something and I wanted to try out the alleged benefits for nerve dampening.

Anyhow, I figured that it probably wouldn't do any harm -- the worst was it would have degraded to the point of being inert. I couldn't imagine it would turn to poison.

I am convinced it was still working.

Anyhow, tonight, after a hard practice, and still being, well, you know, Lindsay Vonn-like with excuses, I went over to Bill's and his wife, Colleen, gave me one of her lisinoprils to try.

Okay, let me go test myself right now. Be right back...

132/61--not too bad, better than this afternoon before the borrowed pill.

Anyhow, we will see what we will see.

Do you know if you can be on this stuff and take a "drug holiday" during swimming meets, or does it not matter?

Talking about Salvador Dali, watching the first couple minutes here will bring back some fond memories, I am sure, for anyone who took a film appreciation course in college.

http://www.zappinternet.com/video/da...n-Andalou-1928
    ? Celine Dion--"near, far, wherever you are"--As Leonardo said (before the titanic went down), "I'm the king of the world."

Your last entry is like some bad Salvador Dali--I can't make any damn sense out of it.

Why are you taking an expired B blocker? I guess it's better than taking one that actually works so that you lower your heart rate below Miguel Indurain's resting heart rate of 28, subsequently suffering syncope.

You are quite a trooper to swim the 1650 with hypertension and sinus pain. I can hear your whine 2,000 miles away.

Keep making beautiful music for a sad world.
    You gotta admire the talent of the newspaper editor putting the gun advertisement right next to the tea party article! If I'm the gun dealer I renew my ad knowing I am getting spectacular placement.

I think your 1650 is easier to do with the blood pressure than the sprints...you don't need so much high end (head)bursting effort.

Deemed less funny by Hollywood when real coyote is used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Jimby I refuse to believe you could be such a fast swimmer and suffer from so many physical and mental disorders. (especially mental) BTW : is it legal to draw a scetch of a glock shooting someone in the head in a blog (vlog)? No judgement, just wondering...
    That's kind of what the psychiatrist thinks when he turned down my request to testify on my behalf for disability insurance.

He wrote the prescriptions anyhow.

As far as Glocks and head shootings and such, I think it is perfectly acceptable--as long as the victims are cartoon smiley faces, which actually proliferate as a consequence of the head trauma.

If I were to have pictured a real life head shot, it would quite possibly have crossed some sort of line.

I am pretty sure this is why Hollywood has rejected my idea about Road Runner: The Live Action Movie, which would require killing hundreds of real coyotes by various colorful means, i.e., dropping off cliffs, anvils hitting them in the head, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Quick, Jimi, I feel a bout of ISH coming on and I have the blahs. Compliment for mommy needed. Just don't say "it's all good."

Amidst your Darwinian newspaper perusing, did you see the WSJ article on evolution making us fatter?

If you enjoyed wasting the time, it wasn't a waste. Unless you're jeopardizing job security.
    When I was a teacher in Florida at a school for Boca Ratonian and Delray debutantes and scions, I was not allowed to give detention because it could interfere with weekend trips in the family cigarette boats to the islands and so forth. The only punishment we were allowed to mete out was the assignment of essays.

So I would try to come up with topics to inflict the most psychological damage I could in the hearts and minds of my youthful wards.

One such topic was: Write about what it is like to spend the night naked in a small box, being eaten by horses, and buried by snow.

Leslie, the reason you are having the blahs--besides not having any gluten to sustain you --is that you are in a small box being buried by snow.

Cheer yourself up by knowing how much worse it would be if you were to lose your clothes and attract the attention of hungry horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyScupperton
    You are the Celine of the 21st Century!
    Viva la cynicisme!!!!!!!
    Thanks, Rusty. Celine is one lovable frog. That guy understood the value of taking everything the detestables glorify and pointing out the merde-based foundations.

I wish I had an ounce of Celine in me!
    Jimby I refuse to believe you could be such a fast swimmer and suffer from so many physical and mental disorders. (especially mental) BTW : is it legal to draw a scetch of a glock shooting someone in the head in a blog (vlog)? No judgement, just wondering...
    Quick, Jimi, I feel a bout of ISH coming on and I have the blahs. Compliment for mommy needed. Just don't say "it's all good."

Amidst your Darwinian newspaper perusing, did you see the WSJ article on evolution making us fatter?

If you enjoyed wasting the time, it wasn't a waste. Unless you're jeopardizing job security.
    You are the Celine of the 21st Century!
    Viva la cynicisme!!!!!!!
    Less corpse-eating it is, Bobinator! Thanks for the compliment, even though I did have to fish for it.
    Oh, I think I read somewhere that LAUGHING lowers blood pressure. Well at least I know for sure it reduces stress! We all need your Vlog if we expect to survive!
    Jimby! Your Vlog puts the sunshine in my day!
    I am sitting here at my desk laughing with glee at the funny comments and pictures of Mr. Pollan!
    Your vlog is where the free-spirited, fun loving swimmers can trade punches, sharper their barbs, and occaisionally learn a thing or two!
    Please keep them coming!

ps..............I agree with Leslie 100%! Eat more plant and less corpse.