Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Exercise-induced hypoglycemia? I know it well. Do you think I could substitute Mike & Ike's for Dots though? I find they taste much better though I haven't compared the sugar content nor the specific dyes used imported from NJ.

Also, another advantage of your added mass would be water displacement at the start creating a tsunami like effect on the swimmers in the adjacent lanes.
    Mark, a few comments:

1. So you really do get E-I-H? If so, what do you do for it. I have found that the GU packet right before practice starts usually does the trick, but I wish there was something a bit less sugary.

2. I went to visit you at the no-longer-starter Mansion (it appears to be a Man in Full, finisher Mansion), but the old owners were there.

Awkward....

I hate it when the new plutocrats usurp the old plutocrats. I also love it because I know, as Marcus Aurelius reminds us so nicely:

Time is like a river made up of the events which happen, and a violent stream; for as soon as a thing has been seen, it is carried away, and another comes in its place, and this will be carried away too. . . .
    Exercise-induced hypoglycemia? I know it well. Do you think I could substitute Mike & Ike's for Dots though? I find they taste much better though I haven't compared the sugar content nor the specific dyes used imported from NJ.

Also, another advantage of your added mass would be water displacement at the start creating a tsunami like effect on the swimmers in the adjacent lanes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    dots are a huge waste of calories but don't worry: bloated is good for masters swimming...I myself have put on 50 pounds since college and I believe it really helps with flotation. As far as muskrats go, all I know is "muskrat love" is by far the worst song ever written...If I had to ever go paleo, I would shoot myself: crack donuts, chips, and all things carb are all I eat...
    Dr. Dickson, man of science, perhaps you will have an idea about my accidental discovery today at the Y.

I suffer from hypoglycemia of exercise on such a regular basis that I now must take a prophylactic packet of GU gel and/or chomps before every swimming practice, else I begin to see lights at around the 1000 yard mark, followed by shakiness, trembling, inability to continue swimming, and an overwhelming desire to eat something.

After last night's dietary excess, I went to the Y this afternoon to do a long, slow, fat burner swim. I had a muffin for breakfast, two pretzels around 1 pm, and a packet of Gu when I got into the pool around 3:30.

I figured that after my whopping bolus of sugar from the DOTS the night before, I might well suffer a huge hypoglycemic backlash.

But not only did this fail to materialize, but I actually felt inordinately well.

I swam slowly--don't get me wrong--a 600 with open turns, followed by 5400 at a steady nonstop pace of probably 1:24 per 100, then a 500 breaststroke and a 100 backstroke.

My shoulders got a bit sore, but I never felt tired the way these long il garbagio grinds usually make me feel.

Obviously, you can't base too much on a single experience. But what do you think the odds are that I have inadvertently blundered upon a new and exceptionally potent form of carboloading, one which might actually prove useful in real racing conditions?

I refer to the Box of Dots the Night Before Method.

What say ye?
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Where's the Muskrat Love?

Here:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKw8j7GLSdw"]Captain & Tennille MUSKRAT LOVE - YouTube[/nomedia]

Quite possibly my least favorite song from the disco era.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Or on a daily basis! I need to get started...it's football Sunday and I haven't got started with the shoveling yet!
    James, you appear to have the same affection from cheap, high-caloric-density foods that I, and most poor people, favor.

It will kill us, of course. But as Gene Wilder so nicely put in that scene from Blazing Saddles, the question is a wistful When?

Quite possibly my favorite joke of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You are decidedly not yet obese! Though you seem set on that path. :-)

I loved Dots as a kid, though they're basically plastic and tasteless. It's amazing the amount of crap one can shovel into the gullet at movie time.

Your pork chops look extremely tasty!
    Dots are high fructose corn syrup rolled into little balls and colored with dyes and artificial flavorings, both of which are warehoused in huge vats in New Jersey. I thought this batch tasted just a bit salty. I suspect there was a wee bit of incursion from Hurricane Sandy.
    dots are a huge waste of calories but don't worry: bloated is good for masters swimming...I myself have put on 50 pounds since college and I believe it really helps with flotation. As far as muskrats go, all I know is "muskrat love" is by far the worst song ever written...If I had to ever go paleo, I would shoot myself: crack donuts, chips, and all things carb are all I eat...
    Where's the Muskrat Love?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I loved Dots as a kid, though they're basically plastic and tasteless. It's amazing the amount of crap one can shovel into the gullet at movie time.
    Or on a daily basis! I need to get started...it's football Sunday and I haven't got started with the shoveling yet!
    You are decidedly not yet obese! Though you seem set on that path. :-)

Your pork chops look extremely tasty!
    Quote Originally Posted by magick17
    Aww Jim that's FAST!
    Congrats..the CV(sewickley) swim moms and me where hoping for ya! I'll tell them the good news!
    We're all cheering for you honey boo boo childman!

Yeah JIM!
    Thanks so much! Who are these swim moms of which you speak of cheering?
    Aww Jim that's FAST!
    Congrats..the CV(sewickley) swim moms and me where hoping for ya! I'll tell them the good news!
    We're all cheering for you honey boo boo childman!

Yeah JIM!
    Thanks, Jack, but the incredible Jim McConica beat my time by almost two seconds leading off an 800 relay.

1 Mc Conica, Jim 62 2:15.56 VCM 2012 Southern Pacific Masters Swimming Long Course Championships
    2 Thornton, James 60 2:17.53 1776 Spire Masters 2012
    3 Walker, Rick B 62 2:20.56 SYSM 2012 U.S. Masters Swimming Summer National Championship

Jim M. deserves the No. 1 spot. His two splits in the 400 were the 3rd and 4th fastest 200s in our age group last summer:

Leg Cumulative Subtractive
    1 33.49 33.49
    2 1:08.86 35.37
    3 1:44.95 36.09
    4 2:20.58 35.63
    5 2:56.15 35.57
    6 3:31.27 35.12
    7 4:05.93 34.66
    8 4:40.00 34.07 (Second 200 was 2:19.42, without the benefit of a dive!)

Talent does what it can, genius does what it must!
    Robert Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Earl of Lytton
    Good job! I think you also may finish first in the 200M freestyle, SCM, Men 60-64!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colleen Marais
    Congrats that is an awesome accomplishment :-) very exciting. sky is the limit.
    Thanks, Colleen! Never say die! Mediocrity unchanged plus time = < changed definition of mediocrity (in the presence of some alcoholic catalysts)!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    finally number one...congratulations...good day to die...
    Thank good i wasn't drinking milk when i read this, Dr. D, because my nostrils would have been irrigated.

your comedy is brilliant because it's so true!
    Congrats that is an awesome accomplishment :-) very exciting. sky is the limit.
    finally number one...congratulations...good day to die...
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    It appears to be the prototype of Jellies! This picture dates back to 1954 or 1955. I had to dress up because I was about to do my first baby sitting job--for this Polish family out in Greensburg who couldn't afford a teenaged babysitter.

I had fun. Seems like the kids' names were John and Marty. A little on the wild side, but I got them settled down by reading them my favorite book during toddlerhood: Atlas Shrugged.

I doubt it had any effect on my youthful wards, though.

They were out like lights!
    you were a fashionista way back in 1954... I would have stabbed you with a fork, made you carry my tray, then kicked your ass for wearing those! You should have done the same to your mom and dad for making you wear them! Those are you sisters shoes!
    Ps, Ayn was chased out of eastern Europe by my family, they told her to go to America and start trouble there!
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem

Hang in there, Mr. T. Congrats!
    Why thank you ever so kindly! The great white kitten picture is increasingly not all that far off from my nether regions when spied via a horrified squint!

There, as in your picture, we are desperately trying to hold on.