Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    No fins, no kickboard? 31 is quick!

I've done a 36 for a flutter kick w/ kickboard, but I don't really kick w/out a board much at all.

I would definitely like to get confirmation of this, perhaps in YouTube form. Perhaps Speedo could document it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuztoo
    was Leslie the 1st to breastfeed at Northwestern law School?
    We aren't sure. Her law school years are part of the several unmemorable decades.
    was Leslie the 1st to breastfeed at Northwestern law School?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Leslie can confirm the time, but we went head-to-head and she absolutely destroyed me on a 50 flutter kick. I will not forget this.
    No fins, no kickboard? 31 is quick!

I've done a 36 for a flutter kick w/ kickboard, but I don't really kick w/out a board much at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Really? That's amazing if true. My personal best 50 kick is about 1:12. With fins.
    Leslie can confirm the time, but we went head-to-head and she absolutely destroyed me on a 50 flutter kick. I will not forget this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    I'm a freestyler and I'm still working SDK, because I've seen Fort's flutter kick. It's nasty. 50 yards in 31 seconds, I think?

Really? That's amazing if true. My personal best 50 kick is about 1:12. With fins.
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyScupperton
    Excellent, as usual, in almost every way! One question, I have heard of an STD but, not being a Master swimmer myself, haven't a clue about an SDK. I certainly hope Leslie's excellence in SDK's says very little about any tendency towards acquiring STD's.

SDK = streamlined dolphin kick!

There may be some correlation with STDs, at least in the Olympic Village.

I noticed after Googling the image that it was Photoshopped by one John R. Thornton. Any relation to my identical twin, I wonder?
    I still plan to swim mainly freestyle, but I am hoping it will give me a boost on the dive and turns.
    I'm a freestyler and I'm still working SDK, because I've seen Fort's flutter kick. It's nasty. 50 yards in 31 seconds, I think?
    Excellent, as usual, in almost every way! One question, I have heard of an STD but, not being a Master swimmer myself, haven't a clue about an SDK. I certainly hope Leslie's excellence in SDK's says very little about any tendency towards acquiring STD's.
    No. But my body is completely used to it.

I'd have to count gain. 18, I think.

Yes, but more with fins.

Boo. You will soon be able to do fly with very few strokes and hence no shoulder pain.
    Do your abs ever hurt from doing lots of dolphin kicking?

Without fins, how many sdks does it take you to swim 25 yards?

Do you ever train sdks w/o fins?

I still plan to swim mainly freestyle, but I am hoping it will give me a boost on the dive and turns.
    Definitely a faulty memory ...

I am glad you have embraced SDKs and now become something besides a run of the mill 6 pack freestyler.
    Jim, where will your article be published? I don't know which magazines/websites you write for.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    I'd like to think that my turns look somewhat similar to these. I working on "bowing" to initiate the turn, a strong pull into the flip, off on my back with toes pointed up, and then use the momentul off the wall to turn over.

I thought about it today at practice, and I didn't notice any significant stress of my knees. The SDK's help to start the rotation towards my side, and then once there I use the arm closest to the bottom of the pool to take the first stroke and that flips me the rest of the way to the surface.

It takes some work, but I'd suggest that you remember to

Just got back from my interview (and short swim) with Ryan Lochte. It turns out this is exactly how he does flip turns--hits wall with toes pointing up, pushes off and roles towards side, glides for about one second, then initiates a series of SDKs that start on the side and continue till he's back on his stomach.

I got some video, not great, but hopefully it will accompany my article.
    One more: Natalie C.

She also does the 12 o'clock high push off, but she begins her SDK on her side, swiveling to freestyle position in the process.

Pretty impressive, I must say.

Natalie Coughlin Swim Tip #5: Flip Turn - YouTube
    I'd like to think that my turns look somewhat similar to these. I working on "bowing" to initiate the turn, a strong pull into the flip, off on my back with toes pointed up, and then use the momentul off the wall to turn over.

I thought about it today at practice, and I didn't notice any significant stress of my knees. The SDK's help to start the rotation towards my side, and then once there I use the arm closest to the bottom of the pool to take the first stroke and that flips me the rest of the way to the surface.

It takes some work, but I'd suggest that you remember to
    Kurt ER Drs deserve sainthood in my opinion from experiences with my family, but I'm lucky and have insurance. Agree, there are no children dying in the streets and surely there is abuse of the ER privledge, but as you indicated the system we now have is not sustainable. At one point, I thought the problem was insurance companies, but believe now it is more complex. Obamacare may not be a complete solution, but the problem can't be ignored even if the supreme court chooses to stick their head in the sand. What does a strict constitutionalist on the supreme court do? Bloodletting was still in vogue at the time, so perhaps that's what they will conclude is the limit of mandatory healtcare.
    I would agree EMTALA has forced scumbags to get a heart and work, but it has also caused hundreds of ERs to close. This is because if you tell a hospital (a business) they must provide care to everyone but can't force the individual to pay for it (a situation unique to the entire business world), then inner city ERs will and are going broke.

EMTALA while noble in its intent, in order to work must be funded. At my hospital yesterday we saw the same "person" 4 times in less than 24 hours (seen by me twice). He came in by ambulance twice. Who do you think is paying for all that? Our pediatric department is always packed with patients (and dutifully seen by me and my colleagues) who can't pay who don't seem too shy about coming in with runny noses, fevers, and other non-lifethreatening conditions...children dying in the street? I think not.

Now Ruth Bader Ginsberg...that's one scary justice.
    Okay, I am not sure anyone is still commenting with flip turn advice, but here is a 500 I swam in 2010 that shows my angled flip turn in all its eccentric lack of glory.

Again, comments would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gfi1biu0uUs

Note: you don't have to watch the whole thing--just a few flips should give you the idea.

1. Looks like my flip turn too, i think (pretty old-school). I've practiced coming straight over with a few sdks, but i seem to resort to what i know when i'm tired or trying to push it. My old turn seems faster, but it may be just comfortable and not faster. Im also not sure what the advantage of coming straright over is, unless for back or side sdks after push-off?? You don't look to me like you are coming off the wall for circle swimming.
    2. I think "dispiriting" doesn't say enough about my emotions associated with the supreme court's health care arguments. Disgusted and outraged come to mind. These are supposed to be the 'best and brightest' legal minds in the country??? The suggestion that mandatory healthcare insurance could set a precedence leading to a govt. requirement to buy/eat broccoli??? Absurd??? (a much better suggestion would be mandatory Milky Ways with dental floss)
    3. In addition to the issues associated with emergency care, there are 50 million people who receive no preventitive health care and wait until it's virtually too late to seek medical attention. The lack of health insurance can and does frequently cost them their lives. They find a lump, experience some pain, bleeding, etc. and ignore it, because they have no primary physician and then months or years later wind up in the emergancy room to seek medical attention for a problem that is now very serious or fatal.
    4. We're the richest society in the world, and our 'best and brightest' want hospitals to turn the people away at the door?? I'm not sure for which circle in the "Inferno" this qualifies, but don't think it's very high.
    Okay, I am not sure anyone is still commenting with flip turn advice, but here is a 500 I swam in 2010 that shows my angled flip turn in all its eccentric lack of glory.

Again, comments would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gfi1biu0uUs

Note: you don't have to watch the whole thing--just a few flips should give you the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimshark
    I don't think you lost it. Not sure you ever had it
    I fit nicely within the long admired role of the wise fool, Alison. And I thank your for acknowledging my sagaciously foolish contributions to society!
Page 6 of 221 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast