Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    i think you've lost it...
    Right! Like Cletus had two human parents!

Have you ever noticed that those who most want laws to prevent bestiality (Rick Santorum) are those who most need such laws?
    Jim, I have a site for you. I bet they would accept you immediately once they find your love for plastic horses.http://bronies.memebase.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    You just realized that now?
    Event 1 Men 55-59 1650 Yard Freestyle
    ================================================== =============================
    Name Age Team Seed Finals
    ================================================== =============================
    1 Thornton, Jim 59 PETR-AM 20.20 19:38.20
    35.22 37.61 37.96 37.47 36.86 37.19 37.15 37.23
    37.19 36.50 36.70 36.36 36.31 36.49 36.23 35.72
    35.58 35.84 35.79 35.51 35.64 35.63 35.75 35.11
    35.29 34.97 35.40 34.79 34.60 34.06 33.14 32.90
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    This will be my first meet under the influence of Beta Blockers.
    I would definitely check this with a doctor first, but...

Maybe you could cut your dose in half during the meet, or skip it altogether. There will be a AED on site, I presume, not that you would need it. The main drawback to beta blockers is that they limit your heart rate, which could be bad for shorter races.

On one of the threads, I asked about blood pressure meds that don't have this same effect. I remember that lots of people praised this one kind of pill--let me see if I can find the link.

Okay, the pill is called lisinopril. As one user put it, I also take lisinopril (and amlodipine) with no side effects and no impact on exercising that I am noticing.

Might want to ask your doctor about it.
    Hahahaha, I like that "a wimp or a simp!"
    I'm swimming in our 2 day state meet this week-end. This will be my first meet under the influence of Beta Blockers. My goal is to complete all my events and have fun. I'm signed up for the 50 / 100 / 200 / 500 / 1,000 / 1650 / 200 back / and 50 fly + 4 relays (200 Medley (fly), 200 Free mixed, 200 free women's, and 400 Free women's). Our team is waging a battle to beat our local rival. When you are a 55-59 female you don't really have to swim fast to score lots of points, just mainly be legal. Cheers! Bob
    Bob, I actually DO think about pace while swimming. It distracts from the pain! But I seriously believe that pacing strategy is the single greatest opportunity for race improvement for many swimmers.

You can swim races the hard way, or the smart way. I think many opt for the hard way because they don't want to be wimps. But I say, Better a wimp than a Simp! The times are fastest when you burn thru your rocket fuel and stages in an optimal way! Plus it let's you recover for other events.
    This vlog is chock full of amazing information Jimby!
    Do you think about this stuff whilst in the middle of your mid-distance races or do you "just swim?"
    I'm very impressed with your 400 Freestyle race. After a long day of racing with intensity the 400 is a tough event to knuckle down and swim! I think you were smart to ease into it and let your race come to you. Where are you racing next?
    I am not sure I understand your question, Alison.

Could you put away the doll house for a moment and rephrase?
    Does this count as a post, Jim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Will try - maybe the '76ers "B" relay. A couple of those guys kicked my ass back at thanksgiving. I'm no doubt faster now, but not sure if i can hang with the big dogs. Will know more SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY at the BCC dragway. Have been swimming a lot with no clock - it's called "natatory distemporis."
    Bill, we definitely have some quick old guys, Paul Trevisan being our mutant outlier in this regard. But there were enough swimmers at Albatross to field a mixed relay, too, and it really would be great to have you join our ranks.

Excellent fellows. Geoff Meyer is our CRO, or chief recruiting officer. I will send both of you an email.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Yes, you did offer a suggestion on it's origin in the past, as I aspired to crack the TT in blogging. Not as sophisticated as the quadratic equation (because I am not), it was derived because I see the Rx symbol many times during the day at my job dispensing them. Leake is my family name, even though some suggest my personality is more closely compared to a drip. M refers to my given name, which happens to be Michael. Perhaps we'll see each other in a pool some day.
    Michael, excellent to make your official surname acquaintance! It all comes back now, burbling up from the plaque-choked synapses and La Brea tar pits of my consciousness!

Thank god for breath control sets, during which I have trained myself so thoroughly in oxygen deprivation that I am entirely used to malfunctioning brain cells at this point, and can compensate.

Oh, that reminds me, what is the origin of your user name, rxleakem?

Just joking, Mr. Michael Leake, pharmacist, who espies the Rx symbol multiple times each day!

Committed to memory now, where it may remain incarcerated for, well, a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Join us!
    Will try - maybe the '76ers "B" relay. A couple of those guys kicked my ass back at thanksgiving. I'm no doubt faster now, but not sure if i can hang with the big dogs. Will know more SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY at the BCC dragway. Have been swimming a lot with no clock - it's called "natatory distemporis."
    Thanks so very kindly. Forgive my Alzheimers Jr. here, for I suspect we discussed this in the past, but how did you get your name rxleakem?

Rx, of course, indicates a drug, and leakem suggests an opening of something containing liquid, which can then flow-or leak-out.

Am I close?
    Yes, you did offer a suggestion on it's origin in the past, as I aspired to crack the TT in blogging. Not as sophisticated as the quadratic equation (because I am not), it was derived because I see the Rx symbol many times during the day at my job dispensing them. Leake is my family name, even though some suggest my personality is more closely compared to a drip. M refers to my given name, which happens to be Michael. Perhaps we'll see each other in a pool some day.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Excellent swims, Mr. T!
    Thanks so very kindly. Forgive my Alzheimers Jr. here, for I suspect we discussed this in the past, but how did you get your name rxleakem?

Did you invent a pharmaceutical for triggering tears from the stoical, urine from the bashful bladder, or perhaps saliva from the dry mouthed?

Rx, of course, indicates a drug, and leakem suggests an opening of something containing liquid, which can then flow-or leak-out.

Am I close? Or is rxleakem just an old family name passed for generations thru the South, like my friend's girlfriend, Edith Turnipseed dying the wealthy Alabamian Turnipseed dynasty?
    Excellent swims, Mr. T!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Congrats on great swims 1776ers.
    Join us!
    I was wondering when we'd get a chance to review your Albatross exploits.
    Liked:
    • 100 - My differential was 1.98 seconds.
    • 200 -The difference between my first and second 100s was 2.53 seconds. Since the first 100 benefits from a dive, I feel I swam this race pretty evenly, which was my goal.
    • 400 - Nice shape to the graph.
    Seems to me you are swimming better and likely faster when you backend - and i will try to remember that for me this sunday. Try a 100 the way Paul swims it and see what happens. Great relays for all of you too. Congrats on great swims 1776ers.
    I will gladly provide a Jimbervention the next time I am at the Compound Midwest!

For now, a few chestnuts that I offer young couples like yourselves just setting off in life together:

• Never go to bed angry. Stay up and fight. (I think I just
      invented this, but it's possible I saw it as a bumper sticker at Stuckey's.)
    • Avoid the word "hitched." I realize this is a folksy metaphor that has entered the lexicon thanks to popular television shows like Hee-Haw! But I have always felt that "hitched" has too much of an equestrian feel to it. The last thing newlyweds want to believe is that they are "horsey". A much better word, in my opinion, is "yoked." I find that newlyweds are much more likely to identify with oxen than horses.
    • Submit. Wives have long been told by Biblical and Talibanic authorities to submit to the authority of their husbands. I find this insufficient. I think both spouses need to submit to the authority of their pet animals, in your case, Emma the Pug. If you let Emma do your thinking for you, and simply follow her lead, I am certain you will have an enduring and generally quite happy marriage.
    Hmmmm, I like your slant on the "going to bed angry" advice. I never thought of it this way. Jim you're a sage!
    I rather fancy the term "hitched". I've never thought of it as a "horsey" thing except in the terms of legally being able to take him "out for a ride" whenever I want!