Blog Comments

You are doing great, man!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Congratulations Alex. It must be very rewarding to drop all that time on your races. All that hard work paid off. Great job.
    Yes! Congrats on a great day!
    See, we told you you'd be right around 25:00. Nice job!
    Congratulations Alex. It must be very rewarding to drop all that time on your races. All that hard work paid off. Great job.
    Thanks Stewart; I think I have lot of nervous energy building, hopefully because of tapering the yardage over the last week... my body is wondering what is going on. Whatever happens I'm planning on enjoying it.
    Tapering is funny like that. One day you can feel crappy and the next feel great. Stick with it and don't get worried. Keep your stroke long as you start to tire in the race and you will do great. Good luck Alex!
    I got in too late today to get in the swim... probably could use a day off anyway. The YMCA ten blocks from my hotel has lap lanes open tomorrow AM, so I'll probably just stroll over there and do something EZ; like you say, I don't want to overdo it at this point, but I also want to put in a little time in the pool to keep loose and keep my "feel-for-the-water"--such as it is.
    Don't overdo the work on the 1650 so close to your meet. The temptation is to keep pushing but you don't need to, you have done the hard work, stay loose and concentrate on long strokes.

I was in Omaha late last year and swum at St Mary's college with the Omaha Masters. I found there info on the main usms web page under local programs. The group were great and very friendly. I can dig out the coaches info if it will help.
    That's super! A big congrats to you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    I noticed that status as well. Way to go, Alex!
    Thanks Mike!
    Saturday and Sunday, but I'm only doing Sunday since I'll be at a conference on Saturday. I've really been "tapering" since the last meet (3/3) in that I've had hard days and EZ days, but a lot less volume. I don't want to totally take it EZ because I've got the 400 IM and 1650, one of our Kenosha Y swimmers is drastically reducing yardage (2000 to 1200 to 500) in this last week (even after he did an EZ week last week), but he's doing mostly 50s at state. My volume has been dropping more modestly: 3600-4400/wrkout last week to 2200-3500/wrkout early this week down to 1000-2000 in the last two days before the meet. Hope that's sufficient!
    When is your state meet? I was curious how long your taper was going to be.
    I noticed that status as well. Way to go, Alex!
    OK, I'll join in with a jail-break banana dance...

These guys have a temporary reprieve only... they're headed for my blender later! Have to keep fueling the machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    You know... I'm almost embarrassed. There is no way I should be the M40-44 distance all-star with only 10 points, but apparently there was nobody else in my age group who did at least two postals and an OW national championship swim (who scored any points at least)... so I guess I'll take my all-star by default status. I will say this, though, I AM putting myself out there and swimming a lot of events for fitness and fun... so if no one else in my age group wants to get out there and have fun with me (as slow as I am) I'll keep racking up those age-group points and places.
    Pfft, enough nay-saying. This is a dancing banana situation!

You know... I'm almost embarrassed. There is no way I should be the M40-44 distance all-star with only 10 points, but apparently there was nobody else in my age group who did at least two postals and an OW national championship swim (who scored any points at least)... so I guess I'll take my all-star by default status. I will say this, though, I AM putting myself out there and swimming a lot of events for fitness and fun... so if no one else in my age group wants to get out there and have fun with me (as slow as I am) I'll keep racking up those age-group points and places.
    Look at you, Mr. 2012 All-Star: http://www.usms.org/comp/as/aslist.php?Year=2012
    I agree with the other comments. Sometimes forgetting about an event for a while has the affect of improving that event. After all your yardage is still high so your aerobic base is still good. The key is sticking to the pace but relaxing as best as you can, keeping your stroke long, and good turns. If you can do these you will surprise yourself!
    Nice workout with IM's to boot. I don't do IM's anymore lol. I will hold 1:30 and use my "toys"
    thanks
    OK, great! I'm definitely psyched about the 1650 now... I had no idea how much improvement I was making in freestyle distance while I was working on IM and middle distance for meets this winter. Thanks for the encouragement!
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast