Blog Comments

I really like the workout you did today and will need to give it a try. I think everyone goes through periods when certain strokes don't feel very good. I wouldn't read too much into it. Congrats on your improved backstroke!
    Ooo, hadn't thought of the pull buoy for back... that's a good idea. If you're fishtailing I suspect you might need to focus on keeping your head still while you rotate, or you're rotating more to one side than the other (sometimes I notice that when my catch is deeper on one side than the other)... I'll try it and see what happens too.
    Do you ever do backstroke pulls? I was testing that tonight and saw I was fishtailing pretty bad...so I think my rotation is poor. I need to go dig up the Backstroke lane and ask them.

It is hard to swim all of those power events at a small meet. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Glad you got acquainted with the locals!

I think it sounds like they rushed you a bit on the backstroke start. Usually they don't say take your maker until people have their feet set. Next time, watch a couple heats before you to see how fast the starter is with the commands and gun.

I've been DQ'd at Nationals before. I've also been told recently it looks like I might have a flutter kick at the end of my breast kick. I think there is some natural undulation of your feet at the end of the kick. I guess some judges are quick to call it. Breaststroke is a tough stroke.
    Yeah, I should have been better prepared for that back start, but we live and learn. On breaststroke, I just can't believe how many pieces you have to perfect to even have a passable stroke... I think I was focusing on the front end and my turnover (b/c it's only a 50) and with any sort of relaxation in the ankles/feet they do tend to wiggle out behind me at the end of the in-sweep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Besides the dq, looks like a great day (especially that 50 free!). Meets are a lot of fun - keep it up!
    Thanks! I am having fun... the 50 free matched a 2-month old PR, and despite the start of that 100 back I really am pleased with how that and the 50 fly went too, b/c I PR'd and I know I still can go faster.
    Besides the dq, looks like a great day (especially that 50 free!). Meets are a lot of fun - keep it up!
    Glad you got acquainted with the locals!

I think it sounds like they rushed you a bit on the backstroke start. Usually they don't say take your maker until people have their feet set. Next time, watch a couple heats before you to see how fast the starter is with the commands and gun.

I've been DQ'd at Nationals before. I've also been told recently it looks like I might have a flutter kick at the end of my breast kick. I think there is some natural undulation of your feet at the end of the kick. I guess some judges are quick to call it. Breaststroke is a tough stroke.
    Thanks for the encouragement guys! If anything I'll be a better swimmer working hard to account for the vagaries of meet venues and lane assignments and all the rest... stuff happens, have to be able to adjust and move on.
    Just keep an open mind on these swim meets. You are really improving as a swimmer but dealing with events is a whole different skill set.
    I will tell you what another swimmer told me as consolation the first time I was ever DQ'd: You're not a real swimmer until you've been DQ'd. Still, it stinks!
    Thanks for asking... the theme, for me, is 200 IM. I'm doing the 200 IM toward the end of the meet and my other events are essentially legs of the 200 IM (50 fly, 50, br, 50 fr) w/ exception of the 100 BK (I did 50 BK at the last meet).
    Waht are you swimming on sunday Alex? Should be fun and good luck.
    When it comes to distance, it seems some of the time starts dropping when we trust that we won't outpace our fitness. You have worked hard for your improvements! It is going great for you...
    Great job, Alex!
    When I used to swim a lot of back as a kid I swam in some really bad pools and the only way to avoid hitting the wall was counting strokes per length. After lots of practice you can forget the count, you just feel it. The tough part is getting a count that works. Hitting the wall always sucks. Good luck finding a solution.
    Ha! At your pool I'm surprised even the strings are left!

I've been doing the core exercises in Salo/Riewald and have added crunches and leg lifts to plank (front and side), bird dog, and others.... knee-to-chest exercises with the stability ball are killer.
    Glad to hear things are going well! My pool doesn't have "flags" anymore...all that remains are "strings". Blink and you miss them. Haha

I need to read back over your posts to see what kind of core work you are doing. I have been doing ~200 crunches a day and my tummy hurts in all kinds of ways I didn't think were possible. I might be looking at planks and some of the ab machines in the weight room.
    Nice going on clearing 50 miles in the month!
    Tacos: if prepared properly, can be lethal! I'm sure this is a meme waiting to happen, if it hasn't already.
    Tacos! Those are a food I discovered as an adult so I feel like I have a lot of time to make up for.