Blog Comments

Boo. Sad to see a good swim go to waste. No chance to try it again before the deadline?
    What a shame that the weather played havoc on your timed swim. That said, your progress is amazing and something to take great pride in. I also think you should somehow remind yourself on those dark mornings in December and January that your hard work will have even bigger dividends next summer. Great summer of swimming my friend. Well done.
    Goo luck with the 5k postal - interested to hear how you make out vs last year
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That's pretty cool and convenient. I don't have access to easy lakes (close enough) to train in, so usually my only OW experience comes at race time. It's gotta help to be able to practice sighting and the stroke variations due to sighting that result from OW swimming vs. pool swimming.
    It's a big help... really helps me straighten out my stroke with feel, rather than always relying on the visual cue of the line. I sight every 5-7 strokes (e.g, two breaths right, xtra stroke, two breaths left... sight on the second breath left) and don't feel like I miss a beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    Our lap-swim area is marked out by 4 no-wake buoys in a rectangle; and it's 50 yards between buoys on the long sides... so it's pretty easy to keep track of distance, especially when you alternate stroke and free 50s, though it's a lot harder to swim in a straight line without the black line at the bottom, or lane separators.
    That's pretty cool and convenient. I don't have access to easy lakes (close enough) to train in, so usually my only OW experience comes at race time. It's gotta help to be able to practice sighting and the stroke variations due to sighting that result from OW swimming vs. pool swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Today I did your pyramid MS, a candidate for the animal lane for sure. I did it at the township pool where there is no pace clock or backstroke flags so I just cruised the swims with whatever rest I felt like between swims, but that's fine with me because I'm just getting back to swimming after a break. (I took 3 weeks vacation with just leisure swimming after my Aug 3-4 focus meet.) I think it is the first time I have done 500 fly straight. I've done as much as 1100 fly in one workout, but never more than 250 straight as far as I can recall. Thanks for posting. I've been really impressed with your improvement over the past year+.
    Hey, thanks for saying so, Karl. I appreciate your comments. I'm looking forward to ramping up the fly and back a little bit more... I think the most fly I've done in one workout was 700-800, but if I'm going to swim a 500 continuous fly I'll probably have to start working on it more... maybe more interval 100s.
    Our lap-swim area is marked out by 4 no-wake buoys in a rectangle; and it's 50 yards between buoys on the long sides... so it's pretty easy to keep track of distance, especially when you alternate stroke and free 50s, though it's a lot harder to swim in a straight line without the black line at the bottom, or lane separators.
    How do you measure distance in the lake? Are there cables?
    Today I did your pyramid MS, a candidate for the animal lane for sure. I did it at the township pool where there is no pace clock or backstroke flags so I just cruised the swims with whatever rest I felt like between swims, but that's fine with me because I'm just getting back to swimming after a break. (I took 3 weeks vacation with just leisure swimming after my Aug 3-4 focus meet.) I think it is the first time I have done 500 fly straight. I've done as much as 1100 fly in one workout, but never more than 250 straight as far as I can recall. Thanks for posting. I've been really impressed with your improvement over the past year+.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    I LOVE ladder sets! My fav is up IM and down free (for a total of 500). It's not so fun the way you do it!
    Darn! Why didn't we think of that sooner? But thanks for opening up that ; now every time we get to the top of the ladder, we'll have to talk ourselves into doing the stroke on the way back down again.
    I LOVE ladder sets! My fav is up IM and down free (for a total of 500). It's not so fun the way you do it!
    I had a feeling it would be right up your alley. I will do the distance backstroke but not the fly or breaststroke.
    THAT IS FREAKING AWESOME!!! Now I have an excuse to train for long distance fly and back too!
    Have you seen the non-free distance postal event? http://www.swimflyfast.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    If you are a breakfast food fan, pick up Vegan Brunch. Tons of yum in there.
    I do like the breakfast foods and have been experimenting with pancakes of different sorts (any excuse to use cinnamon!) and tofu is an awesome sub for eggs. I'll have to check out Vegan Brunch for some new ideas. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Monty's always had promo spots as a sponsor on the Madison NPR station when I was there. Great place. As a vegan, I would imagine you'd have plenty of options in Madison; I get that it might be a bit harder in Kenosha.
    Yes. Madison, like Austin, is a pretty special place... as so many of the big college towns are. Wonderful, quirky, independent restaurants and stores on every corner. I like Kenosha well enough, it's a nice small city of about 100,000, but outside of a handful of restaurants you have to make the drive up to Milwaukee if you want some place that caters to vegans (or at least recognizes that as a possibility). But, hey, it's the dairy state... so my expectations have come down! Monty's has restored my faith in WI!
    If you are a breakfast food fan, pick up Vegan Brunch. Tons of yum in there.
    Monty's always had promo spots as a sponsor on the Madison NPR station when I was there. Great place. As a vegan, I would imagine you'd have plenty of options in Madison; I get that it might be a bit harder in Kenosha.
    Thanks, guys, it is a fun race and nice setting if you ever make it to WI in August. The water temps were comfortable... probably mid 70s (I'm pretty sure I heard someone say 75). With days getting shorter fast and cooler weather this August, the temps are dropping, but we've had several sunny days and yesterday the temps statewide got up around 80... so I'm crossing my fingers for another month in OW before heading back indoors full time.
    Way to go, Alex!
    Great time drop and excellent recap of a sweet day!
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast