Blog Comments

Second the motion for the great race report and glad you swam stronger, faster and had fun doing it. What was the water temperature like?

I really need to come back for this some year. I went to grad school there, but, other than the odd solo workout and an entry into the Badger State Games, I didn't do much swimming when I was there (fall '92 to spring '94). This is another race on my personal bucket list of swims.
    Great drop Alex - that's a 16% drop in time or increase in speed over a long race! Lake looks great, what how was the water temp and swimming w/o the wetsuit for that length of time?

Congrats
    Great blog entry. Congratulations I knew you would do great. Back to the grind next week, but until then enjoy the result.
    That salad looks good
    Have a great swim this weekend
    Way to go Alex and good luck goin in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    I always have the same mental battle - not wanting to give up on training 'til the very last minute - like cramming for a test. It's the intuitive response, but not right and I know it but...

Every book on training worth it's weight in salt tells the reader that the results of training, the bodies adaptation, occurs ONLY when you rest, and the taper is the ultimate rest. Don't let intuition blow-off all your hard work, grab all of the adaptation you can in the taper (you earned it), be confident the work will pay off and no work you do now is going to make any difference. Rest and enjoy the race. keep dropping the V and I and on the day before really rest- if possible don't even go in the water.
    Good point... I have to keep reminding myself that the real adaptation becomes evident after the rest. I'm scaling back and feeling pretty good right now.
    I always have the same mental battle - not wanting to give up on training 'til the very last minute - like cramming for a test. It's the intuitive response, but not right and I know it but...

Every book on training worth it's weight in salt tells the reader that the results of training, the bodies adaptation, occurs ONLY when you rest, and the taper is the ultimate rest. Don't let intuition blow-off all your hard work, grab all of the adaptation you can in the taper (you earned it), be confident the work will pay off and no work you do now is going to make any difference. Rest and enjoy the race. keep dropping the V and I and on the day before really rest- if possible don't even go in the water.
    Thanks, Stewart, for the link to the article! I think the one thing I still lack is that confidence/faith in the work already done... that's just my own neurosis of course, I always feel like there's more to do. But I do plan to back off. I'll do 3k today, 2k tomorrow and then just a 1k warm-up Friday before the race Saturday.

I also need to learn how to "enjoy" the taper instead of looking forward to all the things I'm going to start incorporating into my workout routine once this week is over! Thanks for the encouragement!
    Alex,

I definately think you should back off on the intensity this week. I am not an expert by any stretch and perhaps Patrick, Kirk or others would be good to give you pointers, but working on long hard pace based sets on your only taper week seems to defeat the goal of the taper; rest my friend. As I mentioned previously a week Taper seems short to me, but I get that this is not your main race and is more of a rest week than a full Taper.

That said you have worked your tail off this summer and need some rest. By all means do aerobic sets but dont push the set, these should feel comfortable not tiring. Your goal should not be to hold pace during workouts, it should be to swim fast during your race. Who cares that your pace is off right now, your body needs time to recover from all that hard work, and you know you can do that pace anyhow, based on the prior weeks workouts. A 5k workout seems long to me also, again since you are only resting for the week. If I were doing a 3 week taper I may do that 5k distance through the first half of the Taper but the week before my race I would be no more than 3k and would drop to my warmup distance the day before the meet.

The following link is somewhat simplistic but it may help:

http://www.swimmingcoach.org/articles/9808/9808-3.htm

Good luck with the rest of the week.
    Yeah, thanks guys, and I know the OW is going to be slower because of the sighting involved and (the lack of walls to push off of!). I did a longer taper before the state meet in March and saw a huge drop in my times (12 seconds off my 4IM, 6 seconds off my 100 back, maybe :45 off of my 1650), so I know it works. I feel like the short taper is fine right now... I'm still in a base build-up, basic conditioning phase right now and the OW swim is a great excuse to back off for a week or two to recharge before starting a real build up in advance of the December to March short course season we have here.
    Wow Alex, great drops. Remember 1650 in a pool is not quite a mile (by 110 yards) so OW swims at an actual mile length increments could be a little slower even though you swam as fast or faster.
    I agree with Stewart - your taper should be started 2-3 weeks in advance, longer is apparently needed as one gets older.
    Nice job. Even splitting a long swim like that is a great sign that your hard work is paying off. Good pace and good endurance is a great combination.

For your next big meet you may want to consider a longer taper. I tend to like 3 week tapers. You typically keep your yardage up the first week and a half but gradually ease back on intensity and a week out really drop yardage with little to no intensity. You can't do too many of these a year but for your big meets you can see significant drops. I tend to taper quite well and it's not unusual for me to see 10-15 seconds or more drop on the 500 when fully tapered and shaved. I would be interested to see you do a fall program culminating in a meet where you shave and taper. If you don't like the shave idea try a program that includes a full taper. I think you will shock yourself how quick you can go.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I think your family is like mine in that you all resemble one another. When I go places with my dad I'm a chip off the old block and when I go places with my mom I'm still a chip off the old block. I bet your sons get that too.
    Yes; and when they were little it was scary how much alike the boys looked... except for the hair, which is like Goldilocks and the three bears... as my middle son might tell it... this one is too curly and this one is too straight, but this one is JUST right!
    I think your family is like mine in that you all resemble one another. When I go places with my dad I'm a chip off the old block and when I go places with my mom I'm still a chip off the old block. I bet your sons get that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    How funny! I currently have some quinoa cooking for this:
    http://familyfriendlyveg.wordpress.c...c-vinaigrette/
    Oh, nice. I'm bookmarking that one!
    How funny! I currently have some quinoa cooking for this:
    http://familyfriendlyveg.wordpress.c...c-vinaigrette/
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    Yeah, sometimes you just find a rhythm and everything works.
    I am sure thats true but i also think you get out what you put and this definately applies too. You have worked your butt off to get to where you are and you deserve the results.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Nice drop on the 1650 pace set.
    Yeah, sometimes you just find a rhythm and everything works.
    Nice drop on the 1650 pace set.

I too love Quinoa. Sounds like a very good recipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Plenty of protein in peanut butter. I like the stuff without emulsified sugar where the oil is on top. Sometimes I get the almond butter but that's expensive. There's probably only several amino-acids a vegetarian athlete needs to supplement if diet is balanced
    Yeah, I've been using the Natural Peanut Butter for a few years now... the other stuff has too much sugar and even some trans fats if I remember correctly. I tried almond butter a couple of years back and wasn't impressed, for the price; I'm getting lots of almond with almond milk now and sliced almonds sprinkled over cereals and salads.
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast