View RSS Feed

Nobody Special

Ramblings and writings from Port Orange, FL

1. Open Water Swimming - some thoughts and a warning

by , March 8th, 2012 at 07:26 PM (Nobody Special)
    I read through a good portion of the current issue of "Swimmer" today and was impressed with the fact that 9/10s of the articles were about open water swimming. When I was much younger I competed in a few triathalons and other than those few events I haven't had much experience in open water swimming. To be honest - were it not for the swimming portion of triathalons I wouldn't have done so well. So I think its something I'd like to try now that I'm older - BUT...

I have no idea where to start in getting prepared for one of these things. As a kid, when I was doing triathalons it was easy. I was a distance swimmer and needed no prep whatsoever - all I needed to do was add running and biking to my regular routine. Now - some 25 years later I think I need to figure some stuff.

No thanks to "Swimmer" Magazine though - which had no articles geared toward someone who wants to get started in this. Looks like I'm on my own there....

One other thing - I have spent the last 22 years of my life in a career that involves rescue in the maritime environment. I am a bit perplexed that not much was stressed in the way of safety in open water swimming. This is definately something that should never be done alone and I must say that other than the advertisment for the "swimmer buddy" at the end, the magazine failed in stressing the importance in making yourself visable to boaters. Unfortunately I HAVE recovered dead bodies from the water that were the result of a boater not seeing a swimmer. I realize that in an actual event the safety of swimmers is tantamount but those training for it on their own need to be very careful.