Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I found taking away the cell phone or TV or computer worked decently well, though my girls were always more attached to their cell phones than my son.
    Dont get me going about my kids and cell phones; I dont know why my 12(soon to be 13) year old needs a phone, his mother and I dont disagree on many things but this is one of those.........That said, I get the idea. I think his computer is our best bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    IMO, detention is not a substitute for homework. If he fails to do it twice - he should get the punishment twice. But I can imagine that he might use the strategy of being so delinquent in doing his homework that it is impossible to receive more punishment. For example, if one missed assignment means one day of detention. He knows that he can't get any more punishment after the number of missed assignments exceed the number of days of school. I like the idea of coming up with a punishment that is so undesirable that doing the homework looks like the better option. My mom and dad were terrific at this. The mere hint that they might take away some favorite activity would motivate me to do just about anything, and they rarely showed any signs of a difference of opinion in front of me. Some kids don't have such a good "hook" though.
    My wife uses that tactic but I think we need to confiscate his computer and computer games for longer. I think the punishment should be comensurate with the crime(and with the age). He gets things taken away just like his sister but I think he needs to loose them for longer and think this will have a bigger affect.

He will not win this one! His mother is on a war path and she is even more stubborn(she will kill me if she reads this) than he is, and I guarentee he will loose!!!! Watch this space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    I felt the same this morning but I thought "What would Stewart do?" and rallied!

How old is your son?
    You made my day! One of the really nice things about Masters is that there is a community feeling to it and I suspect all of us want to swim quick and win races, but the fact that everyone supports each other is awesome. I use others successes as inspiration too(your's in fact after Nationals).

My son is soon to be 13. He is not into sport in any way, and is very bright. He excels at Math and Science and we tend to not have much trouble motivating him these subjects. English is his worst subject by a long shot and he hates having to put his thoughts on paper; he says he does not see the point.
    IMO, detention is not a substitute for homework. If he fails to do it twice - he should get the punishment twice. But I can imagine that he might use the strategy of being so delinquent in doing his homework that it is impossible to receive more punishment. For example, if one missed assignment means one day of detention. He knows that he can't get any more punishment after the number of missed assignments exceed the number of days of school.
    Reminds me of people I knew in college that would get a parking ticket on campus and then leave the ticket on the windshield while they continued to illegally park in the hopes that the officer that day would "skip" their car because it already had a ticket. 1% of the time, it worked every time, and that 1% was enough to keep people trying it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I remember my brother once didn't do his reading for class because it was The Diary of Anne Frank and he "didn't want to invade her privacy by reading her diary." I thought that was a good try but my parents didn't buy it.
    If my kid said that, I know my wife and I would still make our kid do the reading, but then, when we had a moment alone, we'd be very proud of the smart-ass creativity of the excuse.

As for your son, Stewart, I have no clue. I only have daughters. Like Leslie, the best punishment for our daughters has been removing the cell phone. It takes some surgery to remove the sutures between the cell phone and the hand ... and then the whole family suffering through a few days of their cell phone detox delirium tremens, but they survive and learn their lessons well.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    They are scheduled for an hour but I try to get in early so they can be upto 75 minutes.
    You guys really push a lot of yards in a short time. Not many masters teams (at least ones I've seen) drop the kinds of sets and intensity you're doing. Very good work.
    I remember my brother once didn't do his reading for class because it was The Diary of Anne Frank and he "didn't want to invade her privacy by reading her diary." I thought that was a good try but my parents didn't buy it.
    Some kids don't have such a good "hook" though.
    I found taking away the cell phone or TV or computer worked decently well, though my girls were always more attached to their cell phones than my son.
    IMO, detention is not a substitute for homework. If he fails to do it twice - he should get the punishment twice. But I can imagine that he might use the strategy of being so delinquent in doing his homework that it is impossible to receive more punishment. For example, if one missed assignment means one day of detention. He knows that he can't get any more punishment after the number of missed assignments exceed the number of days of school. I like the idea of coming up with a punishment that is so undesirable that doing the homework looks like the better option. My mom and dad were terrific at this. The mere hint that they might take away some favorite activity would motivate me to do just about anything, and they rarely showed any signs of a difference of opinion in front of me. Some kids don't have such a good "hook" though.
    I felt the same this morning but I thought "What would Stewart do?" and rallied!

How old is your son?
    Thanks Patrick. One of my team mates refuses to swim an 800 unless I swim a 100fly, so whether I like it or not I will be trying some events I have not swum for a LONG time. I swam so few fly races I don't even recall my time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    you are killing it
    thanks Mark. I am working my tail off with the hope that I will have a great season. Despite the pain associated with pushing hard I am having a lot of fun, which really helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    How long are your workouts, time-wise?
    They are scheduled for an hour but I try to get in early so they can be upto 75 minutes.
    you are killing it
    How long are your workouts, time-wise?
    Wow! 22 high on a 50 free in the midst of the heavy, longer-distance oriented work you've been doing is great. I, too, loved trying events in Masters that I never really swam in college like the 50 (well, to be honest, pretty much every event except the 500, 1000, 1650, 200 fly and 400 IM). It's cool doing a lifetime best as an 'old guy.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    and one of us will rue the day...I mean, I can't wait :P
    I know what you mean and agree it will be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Our paths will cross one of these days.
    and one of us will rue the day...I mean, I can't wait :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    I think it IS the COR classic, but I probably will not go, as I plan to travel to Oklahoma City for the Elite Pro-Am December 19-22.
    Our paths will cross one of these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Hi SAC! Do you mean Greater Southwest? And you know now that it's at Rockwall? That would be awesome. I love your pool! Bummer there isn't an Oct USA meet this year. And the A meet in Nov and COR classic are at Loos. I can't take our local USMS DAMM SCM meet seriously. Maybe because I work out there and it's familiar. It's bad when I know where all my own hairballs are on deck. I really hope your team hosts more masters meets!!!!
    Yes you are right its the Greater Southwest Open. On our calendar we have the COR classic being swum at our pool this year for sme reason

http://www.teamunify.com/EventShow.j...8889&team=ntrs

My daughter is swimming The ATAC meet the same weekend as the SCM meet in Shenandoah so I won't be doing that meet but will be signing up for the DAMM meet at Baylor. From prior years it does not look like its very well attended but it will likely be my on SCM meet this year.

we just got a couple new swimmers join us and we are getting more swimmers who want to compete so I hope we get some more meets too.