Blog Comments

Thanks! Tentatively, I'll be heading down to SERC mid-October. I'll shoot you a message once dates get a bit more settled.
    Thanks everyone. Sharing it was half the fun, so you can definitely look forward to Part II next summer.

By time we got back to shore (under an hour), the shivering had stopped (thanks to Meg and Caitlin sharing their body heat) and all that was left was the all too familiar cold hands and cold feet. Those were soon cured by a grande mocha that Carrie brought to the dock. Before the coffee was finished, I was packing up the AIS system and helping unload the boat.

The only lingering effects have been some sore hip flexors (iliacus and psoas major?). It has happened on other cold swims and I think it is an effect of over tensing during shivering. Other than that, I felt great. I jumped in Lake Union behind Caitlin's mom's house on Monday and Tuesday, and swam a little bit in the sound on Wednesday with just a few tired muscles but no sore joints.
    I'm still just amazed at this swim--that's a long long time in sub-50 water. And with no sun out to warm you--brrr! I'm glad you have a dose of good sense to go along with your toughness and resolve.

Any unexpected effects from the extended time in the cold water and the hours spent shivering while swimming? How long did it take to feel fully warm, and to feel unsore and recovered?
    That was awesome. I enjoyed reading your blogs leading up to and including the swim. You should be a writer. I was right there with you the whole time I was reading. Great job. I look forward to your blog of the next swim.
    Wow, that is just great what you did! Congratulations.
    I've enjoyed your blogs...and as a Dodger fan from Brooklyn to LA ... we had a "sayin" in the way back .... "Wait till next year" ... can't wait to hear from you next year !!!
    Serious congratulstions on your swim. Definately more to celebrate than to commiserate. I really look forward to continuing to read your journey.
    Wow, I am just in awe of the complexity of planning it takes to pull off a feat like that. Thank you for sharing the experience with us!
    Heard on the news last night you had to abort the swim quite close to the finish. Mighty impressive effort, even if you didn't make it this time. I hope you give it another go!
    I followed your progress on Twitter. I'm in awe. Surely you'll get a gig as an aquarium animal now.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    You will remind us how to do that before the big day?!
    Thanks! Of course I will! I've commandeered your under-the-pier buddy to live-tweet for me.

In case I forget:
    • @andrewswims
    • vesselfinder.com, search MMSI: 367575160
    • Text Caitlin
    My favorite sentence: "Under no circumstances will the kayaker be towed with the kayaker in the kayak." It's an impressively thorough document.

Thanks for arranging start times that don't require those of us on the east coast following your progress online to be up in the middle of the night. You will remind us how to do that before the big day?

Oh, and good luck! I'm so excited for you. I know you'll have a blast out there!
    Good luck! I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guila
    Andrew, I always love reading your blog posts about your upcoming swim. I hope you have planned some sort of photography and/or video to document the end, when you climb victorious out of the Salish Sea! Have you informed the media on both sides? This is a historic feat and should be treated as such.
    Interestingly, the media seems to be uninterested in this. I've not been hounding them by any means, but have dangled it in front of lots of local outlets without much response.

Feel free to grab a camera an head up to Salt Creek that day. I'll give you my spare radio so you know where we're headed.

[For those who don't know, Guila is one of only three awesome people who joins me regularly at Alki to swim. Many a hot chocolate we've shared shivering in front of the Tully's Coffee fireplace.]
    Updated July 16th, 2013 at 06:00 PM by andrewmalinak (misquote)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    13.5K in OW without Advil?! That is a feat. Great job
    Thanks! I'm extremely please about this, not just for the end of the month, but for the next 75 years of swimming these shoulders have yet to do. (Don't tell my shoulders about this.)
    Andrew, I always love reading your blog posts about your upcoming swim. I hope you have planned some sort of photography and/or video to document the end, when you climb victorious out of the Salish Sea! Have you informed the media on both sides? This is a historic feat and should be treated as such.
    13.5K in OW without Advil?! That is a feat. Great job
    Guila. the next post is for you. Thanks for reminding me I still hadn't written this one yet.
    WOW. Heavy duty! Who is your swim manager, Andrew? I hope he/she is the best in the business. When is your crossing? Do you have more specific dates yet? Let me know how I can help--although I think I will be in Colorado when you actually do the deed. GOOD LUCK--can't wait to hear your tales.

Guila
    Thanks J!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast