Blog Comments

Wow--it really is about so much more than the swimming, isn't it! Thanks for sharing all the details of your swim planning--knowing all that goes into this sort of thing makes it even more impressive!
    A good metaphor for life. I like the Ka Lae method.
    Maybe it's just as well that no one took you up on your bid to be an aquarium animal (yet). Your opportunistic training sounds much more exciting than that gig.

(Although who know where those animals in the exhibits go after-hours for their opportunistic training . . . maybe it's no coincidence many aquaria are situated near large bodies of water.)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I, too, enjoy your posts, but I'm truly in awe when you mention leaving the Kinsmen (I got the joy to swim there once this summer) and heading to a nearby river. Was this recent? What's the river water temp at this time of the year?
    A month ago, I went over to the N. Saskatchewan River, the one that runs across Edmonton, and jumped in at McKinney Park. It was a good workout just to stay in place. A 250m swim took me about 20min to get to Low Level Bridge, and about 3min to get back. In early May, the water was 53-55F.
    I, too, enjoy your posts, but I'm truly in awe when you mention leaving the Kinsmen (I got the joy to swim there once this summer) and heading to a nearby river. Was this recent? What's the river water temp at this time of the year?
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Definately not a traditional approach, but it does seem to make complete sense. Good luck with continued training and I really enjoyed reading your post.
    Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it.
    Definately not a traditional approach, but it does seem to make complete sense. Good luck with continued training and I really enjoyed reading your post.
    You sir are awesome.
    That is the best cover letter I have ever read.

Perhaps there's an opportunity at the aquarium in LaJolla? I saw this sign a few years ago:

Octopus enrichment by theknittinglibrarian, on Flickr
    Glad you're enjoying it. At the moment, it's enough of a handful just planning planning for myself. However, I do hope that by posting all of the details is that others will want to do the swim, and that they won't have to start from scratch when they do.
    I am really enjoying your tale as it unfolds. Have you contemplated recruiting some others to join you in the attempt or do you want to do it solo and be the first person in the 21st century to accomplish it?

I have taken the ferry between Seattle and Victoria a few times and marveled at the beauty, but it never once occurred to me to try to jump in any part of it. This is an admirable, if a bit crazy big, hairy, audacious goal you have.
    Neat story! I wish you the best of luck!
    And I thought the lakes were almost too cold in mid-summer, and that's even in Eastern Washington where it's warmer!! I guess I'm a weinie!!!
    Great start to what I hope is a great tale of a man and the sea. Good luck.
    All of this swimmable water (Puget Sound, Lake Washington, Salish Sea) is so surprisingly underutilized by swimmers
    Because it's too damn cold for most of us!

Good luck in your endeavor. Sounds like a great swim!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12