Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by jswim
    You training for an open water event? whacha doin?
    Doing a 1 mi (and maybe a 2 mi) open water in Idaho this weekend.
    You training for an open water event? whacha doin?
    Hola meester.. just checking in to see how YOU doin'?
    Great job going for it! That's a lot of swimming, and a killer that the 2back was at the end.
    3400 yards is recovery eh?
    Of course. No HIT stuff. Just easy swimming.
    3400 yards is recovery eh?
    Glad you didn't throw up!

That's some good training for your 200 back too.
    Sounds like it went pretty well! Too bad the 200 back was first. That can take something out of your sprints, though in your case it didn't seem to hurt too much. Glad you knocked off a great start. Love when that happens.
    Good swim poolrat and good luck with the bk and fly today.
    What, no breaststroke??!!

Good luck and have fun!
    Good luck Floyd!!!
    Thanks for posting your experience and congrats on doing so well . Definitely an encouraging post. I'm close in age at 62 and have been thinking about a tri this summer. Your experience sounded encouraging. I did the 1 mile swim leg for an office tri team in Philly's Fairmont Parks tri about 20 yrs ago, but as was your case, I've never tried the whole enchilada. Have been working hard at the swim and on spin bike, but not sure i can handle a run yet, esp. over about 3 miles. I've been able to go about 3mi on the treadmill after spin of about 20 mi.

So, I'm thinking about a sprint tri first, but would really like to have a swim of more than 500 yds. I think the olympic tri with about 1-1.5 mi swim has a run of 10k = 6 mi, and this seems a long run to me.

In the mean time, 'til NJ's air/water warms up, some scy meets.

Way to go poolrat.
    Congrats Poolraat!!

Running has never been a strength of mine so I can see where your coming from. Though I know if you train for the run next year, you'll do great!

Now go get those young whipper snappers!
    Thanks Jeanette!

If I trained to run I probably would do ok since I used to be a very good runner but I have no desire to do much running anymore. I tell everyone that I used up my life's mileage quota when I was in my early 30's.

I was pretty excited to win the swim part. What a way to celebrate being 60!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice going!

Those distances just don't match up well. I've done a small triathalon that was 500 Yd. pool swim, 15 mile bike, and 3 mile run.
    The biking portion normally is 3-4x the length of the run, and the swimming is always never in a good proportion for us swimmers, so I can't argue that. But a 6 mile bike vs. 3 mile run??? C'mon event organizers...at least double the bike length to 12 miles!! Or better yet...reduce the run to 1 mile!

That's my kind of triathalon, one with little running! Or do a straight up equal distance tri... 1 mile swim, 1 mile bike, 1 mile run. See how many will whine about that one!! Not the swimmers!!
    Thanks James! The distances are a bit out of whack but that's what happens when a track coach organizes it. lol I like your idea on the distances though I could handle a longer bike part, maybe 2 mi.
    Actually I've always though the distances should be adjusted so that the average triathlete would spend about the same time on each part.
    Updated March 5th, 2012 at 04:45 PM by poolraat
    Congrats Poolraat!!

Running has never been a strength of mine so I can see where your coming from. Though I know if you train for the run next year, you'll do great!

Now go get those young whipper snappers!
    Nice going!

Those distances just don't match up well. I've done a small triathalon that was 500 Yd. pool swim, 15 mile bike, and 3 mile run.
    The biking portion normally is 3-4x the length of the run, and the swimming is always never in a good proportion for us swimmers, so I can't argue that. But a 6 mile bike vs. 3 mile run??? C'mon event organizers...at least double the bike length to 12 miles!! Or better yet...reduce the run to 1 mile!

That's my kind of triathalon, one with little running! Or do a straight up equal distance tri... 1 mile swim, 1 mile bike, 1 mile run. See how many will whine about that one!! Not the swimmers!!
    You participating in the triathalon? What's the distance on the swim for it? (just curious)

Also, I think you should do the whole swim portion of the tri breaststroke....
    It's a sprint tri that the HS track team does every year as a fund raiser at the beginning of track season. 750y swim, 6 mi bike, and 3 mi run. In the past I've always done the swim as part of a team. This year I will do it all.

Don't think anyone would want me to do it swimming breaststroke. Would be there all day, night and into tomorrow. There would be a lot of haters by the time I finished!
    You participating in the triathalon? What's the distance on the swim for it? (just curious)

Also, I think you should do the whole swim portion of the tri breaststroke....
    How do you like using snorkels? what does it help with, streamline? just curious.
    I originally got the snorkel for kicking because my neck doesn't like the head up position it's in when kicking with a board. With the snorkel I can stay in a face down streamline with, or without, the board while I kick (I do my kicking both ways).

When my son was home from college at Christmas I noticed that he and another local college swimmer did all their pulling with a snorkel also. When I asked him why, he said it allows focusing on the stroke without breaking rhythm to breathe. I also do sprint 25's with it for the same reason.
    How do you like using snorkels? what does it help with, streamline? just curious.
    Updated February 17th, 2012 at 04:35 PM by poolraat
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast