View RSS Feed

Yoga

1. Thursday, July 14

by , July 14th, 2011 at 09:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

I was still feeling sore and beat up, so decided to head to my last yoga session before Nats. The temp was 105 the whole class (according to instructor) and the heat felt so much more bearable than when it's 110. I didn't have to dart out to get more water and could exert more effort.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really wanted to get in a mellow swim tonight, but summer league events transpired against me. Was very busy at the team dinner and then judging the belly flop contest. We got to use the dive teams number cards, which made it much more fun! Lil Fort got extra points for a combo belly & face flop.

I will definitely hit the pool tomorrow. If I wake up feeling like I have upper appendages that work, I'll sign up for the meet. If so, this will be the first meet in my masters career that I haven't rested at least 3-4 days for and my first meet outside since 2006. I'm wondering how ghastly my 50s could be ...

Few pics from Barcelona.
    Categories
    Yoga
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5029.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	6718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5038.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	6719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5063.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	6720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5067.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	6721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5083.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	6722  

2. Tuesday, July 5

by , July 5th, 2011 at 09:41 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

The class was unexpectedly packed. This make the heat much worse than usual. By the last few postures, I was somewhat nauseous. But still worthwhile! My lower back was somewhat sore (in a good, not bad, way) from yesterday's deadlift singles and yoga made it feel more limber.

Commentary:

Not sure what I'll get in tomorrow. Mini Fort is having her wisdom teeth out. I'm hoping she is well enough that I can sneak off to the Terrapin Masters practice at night.

Attached are a few pics from the ruins of Pompeii. Camera doesn't really do it justice. Nor could I really capture Mt. Vesuvius (both the destructor and preserver of Pompeii), which we visited earlier that same day.

Off to finish watching the Tour de EPO.

Updated July 5th, 2011 at 09:50 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga

Name:	IMG_4551.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	6675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4566.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	6676   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4630.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	6677   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4651.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	6678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4613.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	9543  

3. Sat., July 2

by , July 2nd, 2011 at 08:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Just went to yoga today. It wasn't as bad as I expected either. I didn't even fall out of my fav "wounded crane" position. I could tell I didn't stretch at all of vacation though.

Commentary:

Had to get up very early to take my 2 jet lagged girls to the Sat. summer league A meet. Mini hadn't been in the water since March, but swam respectably. Lil Fort had a great meet, including winning the 50 free from an outside lane.

Psych sheets for Auburn Nats are out:

http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats11/heats/.

Still somewhat disappointed the meet isn't larger. Who needs short days in Auburn? I forsee some pre-dinner naps.

Attached are 5 pics from Malta -- fishing village and the Blue Grotto.

Planning a sprint workout for tomorrow. Hope the body agrees. Quads are fairly sore from yesterday's jumping and dropping.

Updated July 2nd, 2011 at 09:36 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga

Name:	IMG_4194.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	6660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4199.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	6661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4243.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	6662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4250.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	6663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4256.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	6664  

4. Tuesday, June 14

by , June 14th, 2011 at 10:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Survived the heat. Today, I determined that I sweat more than any female in the class. Seriously, there are women who leave the class with their hair half dry. How can this be in 110 degree heat and humidity? Am I in better shape, drink too much water, heat intolerance? At least every pore gets worked!

Commentary:

Starting to mull over what I'm going to do for exercise on vacation. I have limited tolerance for swimming in a small pool; I will probably just get in to maintain feel. I'm going to bring my TRX, hit the weight room, perhaps do some tabata on the bike, and hit the elliptical machine. I'm sure I'll work out less than usual and it may feel like somewhat of a taper. I have about 2 1/2 weeks after returning to hit it hard in the pool and then do a 2 week taper for Nats. Very low expectations for my 100s. And I was just starting to feel in better shape!

Tonight I went to a scholarship banquet hosted by our town's sports organization. Fort Son won the MVP scholarship for cross country & track. They're awarded to kids who excel in our local youth sports programs (football, basketball, lacrosse, wrestling, track, etc.) and then in the same sports in high school. It was a blast from the past to see some of his friends from elementary school. And the slide show with pics from their youth was hilarious. Where does the time go?

Power foods:

http://www.livestrong.com/blog/blog/..._ibsrc=fanpage

TRX Exercise Library:

http://www.ideafit.com/exercise-libr...ension-trainer

Updated June 15th, 2011 at 09:28 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  5. Thursday, June 9

by , June 10th, 2011 at 10:04 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

3 x (4 x 50) w/paddles @ :10-15 RI
    50 scull
    50 SSR drill
    50 torque drill (this is like a prone lat pulldown and, with paddles, is a real power drill)
    50 free

Main Sets:

10 x 25 shooters w/fins on back

6 x 25, 15 burst dolphin kick + cruise

10 x 50 flutter kick w/board & fins @ 1:00
    -- best average lactate set
    -- high 27-28, 29, 29, 29, 29, 29, 28, 28, 28, high 27

200 EZ

Warm down:

3 x (4 x 50)
    4 x reverse IM order drill

Total: 2800

Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Was predictably sore from weights, so decided to venture to yoga in the heatwave for the 8:00 pm class. Cruised in right at 8:00 and had to take a spot in the center right next to the instructor. Not may fav spot! He warned us that bikram in the summer was a different experience. Usually it takes 4-5 poses for the heat to hit 105-110, and he tries to keep it at 105. But in the summer with the heat and humidity, the temp is high right from the start. As I was right text to his portable thermostat, I saw it hovering at 109 for most of the class. Still, I did fairly well on all the poses except for my nemesis "standing head to knee."

Commentary:

I was too sore from weight to do too much in the pool today. My schedule is a bit off with my Mom in town visiting. I prefer a lift + immediate sprint swim on the same day before the soreness hits + next recovery swim or yoga. But this hasn't worked out lately.

The 10 x 50 best average was killer after yesterday's mega squats. Legs were like dead weights the last 10-15 yards of each 50. I almost abandoned the set after 2 50s. But I had visions of Jim Corbeau saying "HTFU, Nancy," Geek saying "the pain will be over quickly," and Ande telling people to "try harder" on kick sets. Thanks for the support! So I carried on and even improved as the set progressed. No idea how Chris can do 32-40 x 50 best average!

I'm still having some trouble with hypoxic work or any breath control on free. I think it's the combo of allergies and poor air quality.

Though I'm still somewhat sore, I'm going to lift with Jazz today. No lunges after bikram!

How much sleep do we need?

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/artic...we-really-need

Updated June 10th, 2011 at 11:34 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  6. Tuesday, May 31

by , May 31st, 2011 at 10:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 various

10 x 25 shooters

Main Sets:

6 x burst 25s @ 1:00

2 x (75 fast fly w/fins + 125 easy)
    -- Went 41, 40
    -- Didn't feel good. Shoulders tired and perhaps not warmed up enough
    -- Worried about my 100 fly at Auburn; this is not a sprint event for me in LC. Well, not in SC either really.

4 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 100 easy)
    50 breast, 31
    50 back shooter, 22
    50 breast, high 30-31
    50 back kick, no fins, high 32

6 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 25 easy)
    3 dolphin kick w/board (12s), 3 flutter kick w/board (high 11-mid 12)

100 EZ

Total: 2300

Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Forgot to use my inhaler before; that was a mistake. The humidity seemed even worse than usual with the heat at 95 or so today. The air condition broke down in my teen's high school, and they were sent home at 11:15.

Commentary:

My shoulders were somewhat tired from the 5K yesterday. But I wanted to do some sprinting anyway.

I entered Auburn Nationals today:

50 breast, 41.3 (6th event)
    100 fly, 1:15.00
    50 fly 30.70
    50 back, 32.70
    100 back, 1:13.48
    50 free, 29.50

I entered all my 50s .5 faster than last summer. I entered the 100 fly @ 1:15. This is 2.5 off my best time, but without my B70, walls and long course training, I'll be surprised if I go that fast and manage not to DQ the last 10 meters. When I looked up my times, the prompt said I "should enter" my fastest time, but I declined as that is not at all what I think I will go. I entered the 100 back in a B70 time from 2008. This is likely too ambitious (and under the WR, I see now, hmm), but I sometimes underestimate myself and I don't think it matters all that much if I go a bit faster or slower in my particular heat. Hopefully, I won't be called an evil reverse sandbagger. I don't need any more intense negativity.

Updated May 31st, 2011 at 11:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  7. Wed., May 25

by , May 25th, 2011 at 11:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Somewhat difficult as I hadn't been in awhile. But I got to wear my cute new yoga outfit. So I looked good falling out of standing head to knee.

Commentary:

I was sore today after yesterday's weights, so yoga seemed like a good option.

Feeling a bit frazzled at the moment. Mr. Fort invited his brother and 3 kids for the weekend long ago and rowing nationals are this Friday and Saturday in Camden NJ. Kids leave tomorrow am. I still haven't decided when I'm going to head up as Mr. Fort has an out of town deposition on Friday. Crappy timing all around. Hold on -- I'm on the yacht (kids made nationals), so can't complain. And at least I don't have to muddle over entry times any time soon.
    Categories
    Yoga
  8. Wed., May 11

by , May 11th, 2011 at 10:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes

Just went to yoga today, although 90 minutes of bikram is not exactly a vacation. I did a little googling on bikram and asthma; bikram is actually supposed to help alleviate symptoms. I had no issues today. And I rocked the standing bow, which I recall Q calls the "wounded crane."

Plan to do a gym + long course swim tomorrow. I may go to GMU on Friday as well just to use my monofin in long course.
    Categories
    Yoga
  9. Monday, May 9

by , May 9th, 2011 at 04:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/Solo/SCY:

Warm up:

500 various
    200 fly drills

Main Sets:

15 x 50 @ 15 RI
    1-5 = free w/paddles
    6-10 = flutter kick w/board
    11=15 = stroke various

5 x through:

50 strapless scull with paddles
    50 (25 fast free @ 100 pace + 25 EZ)
    50 hypoxic back kick
    50 (25 fast flutter kick + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

12 x 25 dolphin kick with parachute & fins
    power kick to 15 m UW + cruise

100 EZ

Total: 2900

Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Class was much better breathing-wise today, especially after the standing balancing series.

Commentary:

I did not have the Mothers Day of my dreams. I was woken yesterday by a call from US Air at 5:00 am canceling my 11:30 flight (too few people) and putting us on a later flight with connections. Couldn't get back to sleep. Couldn't go to the pool or gym either since it was closed until noon. Jealously watched Mr. Fort and Fort Son go on a 12 mile run. Did have a lovely brunch, but then spent most of the day in airports.

Still not feeling any love in the pool. This is probably due to the nasty combo of allergies and sleep deprivation. I hope I can get some speed work in soon ... Right now I just feel out of shape and un-speedy. This can't really be so as I look at my flog, but that is my current state of mind. Ahelee would tell me I need to "train the mind."

I heard today that Pete Reider aka "NuthinBut50s" was involved in a head on collision in late April. He is still in the hospital after numerous surgeries for broken bones, including his femur and ankle. Horrible news. He was right next to me in my 50 back at the Albatross meet. I hope both he and MJ heal fast.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  10. Friday, April 23

by , April 23rd, 2011 at 01:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    My training partner was sick on Friday, and I wasn't feeling so hot either. So I just went to bikram yoga. Muscles felt less sore afterward. Unfortunately, I woke up today and felt awful. I've been fighting off a sore throat and congestion for days, but my body finally succumbed to allergies and my asthma is acting up. I went to my kids' regatta this morning, and I am on the couch for the rest of the day. I hope it doesn't escalate further.

If it does, I don't think I'll go to Canadian Nats. I'm on the fence anyway, as the next 6-7 weeks are going to be crazy busy. (I have 3 out of town trips booked in May and many house
    guests.) I may have been slightly addled when I signed up for this meet; spring is always busy for me and I am often clubbed by allergies. If I don't go, I will swim at Auburn Nats even if I'm in subpar shape because of the timing of my vacation. However, I would need to find a meet between now and Auburn because I don't want to go 4 months without racing. But there are no local masters meets.

I'll have to mull it over and see how I feel. I could be meet deprived for awhile.

Updated April 23rd, 2011 at 04:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  11. Wed., April 20

by , April 20th, 2011 at 11:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

16 x 50 @ :55-1:00
    4 of each stroke, drill fly

9 x 75 back kick w/fins @ 1:15
    1-3 shooter on 3rd length
    4-6 shooter on 2nd length
    7-9 shooter on 3rd length
    25 EZ

50 EZ

10 x jumps (200)
    odds = broad jump off pool + squat jump off bottom
    evens = grab start off side

6 x 50
    25 EZ speed fly or belly shooter w/fins @ 100 pace + 25 EZ (felt dreadful)

50 EZ

Did not want to attempt speed work, but forced myself.

2 x (50 fast w/fins + 100 EZ) @ 3:00
    breast, :31 (not bad)
    free, high 24 (bad turn)

4 x (25 fast free /fins + 25 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 4100

Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes

Didn't feel as dreadful as I usually do after a layoff. Still can't do standing head to knee for very long without a more consistent practice.

Commentary:

I was lacking all motivation this morning. This seems to be a common occurrence when I get thrown out of my usual routine. David Guthrie suggested I start my 5 week taper. (Yes, he really does that.) Eney Jones suggested I just go robotic for a couple days. My very first masters coach told me to "do it OR ELSE." I opted for a combo of the last two. I actually feel better after the 2 workouts.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  12. Sunday, April 10

by , April 10th, 2011 at 03:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    @ Gym:

15-20 minutes of RC exercises

30 minutes stretching:
    -- dynamic stretching, broomstick ([nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4c95kosHes"]YouTube - Shoulder Rotational Stretch, Dynamic Flexibility Exercise[/nomedia]), static stretching

@ SCM Pool:

30 minutes slow swim
    10 x 25 shooters
    100 EZ

20 minutes in hottub

Commentary:

Snuck in a recovery workout between today's activities. I'm actually looking forward to a recovery week as well. And I'm super busy this week, so eliminating the gym will free up some time.

I'm very proud of my Lil Fort. Today was her first running race -- a local 5K to benefit her elementary school. Very good turnout and Mr. Fort's training partner got schooled by a marine to his dismay. I was slightly worried because it was hilly course, but she was undaunted. She came in at 27:30 and was the fastest 14&U girl. She had too much in the tank at the end because she sprinted the last 1/3 mile or so. Now she's all fired up for her 5K in Boston next Sunday. Mr. Fort, on the other hand, is battling a hamstring problem again. He hasn't run for a week (but done hard biking), so he's hoping he can actually make it through the marathon.

And speaking of Boston, I've got to find a place to swim. I finally focused on my travel schedule, and I'm gone from Saturday evening to Tuesday afternoon. I don't think I'll have any time to swim until late Monday afternoon with our busy schedule. But I have to get in the water sometime while I'm there!

Updated April 11th, 2011 at 11:15 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  13. Wed., April 6

by , April 6th, 2011 at 05:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 various

3 x (4 x 100) @ 15 RI
    reverse IM: free, breast drill, back drill, fly drill

50 EZ

Total: 1950

Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Heat still hard. Had to and missed one set of triangle pose.

Commentary:

Followed the arrow on Q's flow chart, and did both a recovery swim and yoga today. The swim was all in zone 1; the yoga was zone 2 and sometimes 3. I feel much better now than last night when I sat on the couch but did not eat potato chips. (I was horrified recently to see how many calories were in a bag of kettle chips.) I am planning on doing drylands tomorrow and then going to my team practice at night. That will be my last dryland session before Zones, and I am due for a recovery week anyway. So good timing.

The crew council president is meeting with parents of the lightweight rowers tonight before they meet next week and issue findings. I am sending Mr. Fort, who was an elite lightweight rower at Cornell to fight the good fight. I am slightly worried about my son's blood pressure at the moment. On the other hand, Mini Fort seems to be adjusting well to crew and enjoying it. She's a lightweight too and I hope she doesn't have this problem in the future.

Haven't done my flog in April yet. Need to catch up.

Going off booze to avoid injury:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226033428699

The importance of snacking:

http://www.athleticfoodie.com/2011/0...cking/#dispdet
    (Please note Geek that GWG puts flax seeds in his smoothie.)

Updated April 6th, 2011 at 07:24 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  14. Monday, April 4

by , April 4th, 2011 at 04:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    More Drylands:

Since it is absolutely gorgeous today, I decided to play around with my TRX. It's hanging from the garage rafters, and I opened the garage doors and blasted my iphone. (I'm not sure this is on Q's flow chart ... perhaps implicitly.)

hamstring curl, 2 x 10
    alternating single leg pistol squat jump, 2 x 10
    body saw/pike ups, 2 x 10
    row, 2 x 15
    high row + W delt fly + superfly combo, 10
    knee tucks, 10
    tricep extension, 15
    back extension, 15
    sprinter start hop, 2 x 10 each leg
    core lay out, 15
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 15

I seem to have misplaced my TRX starter manual, so had to do some googling. Really liked the exercises in this link: http://www.trxtraining.com/connect/b...trx-exercises/. I did 1, 2, 3, 8 and 12. Tried 12, but I must be doing something wrong ... Sprinter start hop is at: http://www.racerxvt.com/article/trx-...eat-drew-brees. If anyone else has any others to suggest, please do!

Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes

Heat is still getting me, but I feel great after.

Commentary:

Beautiful spring day here!

Every one in the household is happy. Well, except FortSon who is still stroking the heavyweight boat instead of a lightweight boat. Hasn't punched anyone yet, but the 4 senior lightweight rowers being forced to row with 3 heavyweights (and anther lightweight) in an 8 may all quit the team since it appears this situation may not change. I may punch out the coach next time I see him. The other parents and I really can't complain any more than we have to the crew board. I feel really bad for Fort Son since their lightweight 4 would likely do well at Nationals and their heavyweight 8 is mediocre with 5 lightweight rowers on it. No idea why a coach would boat rowers this way ... Crew council meets April 12.

Talked to my chiro about further PRP last week. He agrees that I should put if off until after CN. If I didn't have a meet in April, maybe. But the recovery is difficult enough that I'm going to postpone it.

Updated April 4th, 2011 at 09:05 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  15. Tuesday, March 29

by , March 29th, 2011 at 04:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Ack, today seemed really hard. I'm not yet re-adjusted to the heat, and my heart rate was elevated the entire time. That's the bulk of my aerobic work for the week! I feel nice and loose though. There's just the little problem that I don't feel like moving from the couch. When you're not used to it, bikram saps an enormous amount of energy.

Off to help my Lil Fort study for some tests.

Weights and swimming tomorrow. I have no idea if there is any validity to this thought, but I like to combine high intensity weights with high intensity swimming in the same day.

I've booked flights & hotel for Canadian Nats. Now I need to enter the meet.

Vertical Dolphin Kick Variations:

http://www.goswim.tv/entries/6235/al...m_medium=email

Updated March 29th, 2011 at 05:39 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  16. Sprint Kick Workout, Monday, March 28

by , March 28th, 2011 at 04:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Kick Sets:

20 x 25 easy speed shooters
    1-10 on back
    11-20 on belly

50 EZ

3 x through:
    2 x 100 kick w/fins @ 2:00 + 50 EZ
    -- each 25, dolphin kick with board to bottom of pool (12 foot deep) in streamline position, stop midway, surface and easy flutter kick to wall
    -- it's really not that easy to kick down that far with a board

50 EZ

6 x through:
    standing broad jump from side of pool into water + 10 seconds fast eggbeater kick + "25" dive to bottom of pool & squat jump off bottom

50 EZ

6 x (25 fast dolphin kick shooter w/fins & parachute + 25 EZ)
    -- 3 on back, 3 on belly
    -- these are not that easy either; "fast" describes the effort more than the action

50 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP dolphin kick shooter w/fins + 25 EZ)
    -- 3 on back, 3 on belly

50 EZ

3 x (25 fast back shooter from blocks, no fins + 25 EZ)
    -- was supposed to do 3 on belly, but was cramping

300 EZ

Total: 3200/2300 kick

Stretching, 30 minutes

Commentary:

My upper body is still sore from apparently overdoing it last Friday. More sore than my legs which I hit yesterday. So I did a kick workout, which I quite liked. Didn't look at the clock much; just took as much rest as I felt like. Sprint kick workouts are fairly exhausting.

I usually do a weights + sprint combo on Tuesdays, but may do weights and yoga tomorrow.

I may revise my tentative meet schedule. It's going to be rather expensive to attend Canadian Nationals (and we have a lot of family jaunts this year), so I may be forced to cancel Auburn Nationals this year. The timing is a little dicey anyway since it is only 5 weeks after I get back
    from a 2 week vacation. I'm hoping we will have our local LC meet at the end of August as usual. (If not, I'll have to find some LC meet -- any suggestions?) After Canadian Nationals, I think my next real focus meet will be the Sprint Classic in October. Hoping to take aim at the SCY backstroke records there. If I don't get to Nationals this year, I hope to get to both SCY and LCM nationals next year. I can even drive to Greensboro -- first time ever for a national meet.

Updated March 29th, 2011 at 10:34 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  17. Sat & Sun, March 26-27

by , March 27th, 2011 at 08:11 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Saturday:

My off day. Hit the gym briefly for:

RC Exercises, 15 minutes

Stretching/Yoga/Foam Roller, 40 minutes

Sunday:

Drylands:

RC exercises (3 way arm extensions, external rotators, seated straight arm dips)

extreme angle step up w/DBs, 40 x 2 x 10

-- Use a high box, create an extreme lunge with only toe on the ground and step up. The high box recruits the glute more than a traditional low box step up.
    -- I plan on adding explosive steps ups to my list of plyo exercises: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwzB6xuZ9o"]YouTube - TFW Explosive Box Step Up[/nomedia]

total ab machine, 120 x 2 x 15
    lower back machine, 120 x 2 x 15
    back extensions, 25 x 2 x 15
    reverse scoop, 25 x 2 x 15
    explosive leg extensions, 60 x 2 x 10
    front power squat, 180 x 1 x 15
    squat jumps w/bar, 45 x 2 x 10
    lateral bunny hops over bench, 25
    (didn't do another set b/c this bothered by foot)

Swim/SCM/Solo:

30 minute slow continuous swim

Commentary:

Yikes -- my upper body has been sore all weekend from Friday's drylands. Probably should have started at lower weight on some exercises ... But I always feel that if I'm going to be sore anyway, it might as well be for a good reason. And I don't have any time to waste if I'm going to re-taper somewhat for Canadian Nationals. Felt pretty dreadful in the water today a a result. I hate the soreness that comes after solid 3 week taper.

Updated March 27th, 2011 at 08:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  18. Wednesday, March 23

by , March 23rd, 2011 at 06:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Only grabbed a short swim workout. I arrived and the pool was closed -- probably due to a kid or noodler. So I had to wait a bit before diving in.

Warm up:

700 various

Aerobic Kick:

10 x 100 w/fins @ 1:30
    odds = back kick (work on perfect streamline)
    evens = dolphin kick w/board

50 EZ

Burst Dolphin Kick:

10 x "25s" Squat Jumps @ :30
    -- Use fins. Dive down to the bottom of the pool (I was in 12 foot depth), get into a deep squat, jump off bottom of pool and fast SDK up to top, swimsuit should clear the water.
    -- this is a Salo set

50 EZ

10 x 25 @ :45
    burst dolphin kick shooter on belly + cruise
    -- started these @ :30, but it wasn't enough rest for really fast bursts

50 EZ

5 x 50 @ 1:15
    1st 25: With fins and kickboard, kick down to bottom of pool mid-way. Squat jump off bottom and then sprint dolphin kick to the end.
    2nd 25: EZ
    -- another Salo set

100 EZ

Total: 2700/1725 kick

Hot Yoga, 90 minutes

Ventured to hot yoga directly after the swim. I was extremely thankful not to have one of the heat nazi instructors who max out the heat. I was also happy to survive the class without bolting out the door. The 1:00 single leg balancing poses were, uh, challenging after 4 weeks off from yoga. These require consistent practice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I'm still feel a little wired & tired. Maybe the hot yoga will help me sleep better tonight. Hamstrings are predictably sore from drylands.

I'm a Tip!

I felt very honored that Ande created a tip for me today: "Build a Fortress of Speed and Strength." I've been reading and applying his tips for years. I remember the SFF thread and the Ask Ande thread helped me immensely when I first started masters swimming. And I still have my own copy of the SFF tips that Ande gave me at Austin in 2008. My favorite SFF tips are: 1, 2, 3, 5, 29, 31, 60, 71, 113, 129, 165, 188. Probably my absolute favorite is the "rage to master" tip -- #60. I also like # 135 -- The Formula for Faster Kicking," but had to disregard the advice to "stop using fins." Fins work -- scientifically proven!

Index to SFF: [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=237620&postcount=1588"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster[/ame]

Updated March 23rd, 2011 at 07:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  19. Tuesday, March 15

by , March 15th, 2011 at 05:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

650 various

10 x 25
    odds = shooter
    evens = drill

1 x 25 fast backstroke kick
    1 x 50 EZ
    1 x 15 burst fly + cruise
    1 x 50 EZ
    1 x 25 fast free
    1 x 50 EZ
    1 x 15 back spin drill + cruise
    1 x 50 EZ
    1 x 25 fast backstroke, no SDK
    1 x 50 EZ

125 EZ

Total: 1375

Stretching, 30 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I wish the meet were tomorrow. I'm tired of resting. Full on taper bitchies here.

Psycho sheet: http://www.pvmasters.org/albatross/psych11.htm

I'm ever so happy Jimslie is coming, and that he has even decided to blog again!

Forget carbs! http://www.bicycling.com/training-nu...your_acid_dose

Updated March 15th, 2011 at 09:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  20. Sunday, March 13

by , March 13th, 2011 at 09:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    @ Gym:

RC work, 15-20 minutes

Stretching, 30 minutes

@ Gym SCM Pool:

30 minute slow swim

15 minutes hottub

Commentary:

Didn't have time to hit the gym/pool until the very end of the day today. The gym pool was teeming with all manner of humanity of all ages -- not ideal for a workout. So I decided to just cruise. I'm going to use the workouts I did before NE Champs for the next week. I need to get some serious sleep this week. I've been burning the midnight oil and gotten very little solid sleep the last few nights. The spring time change never agrees with me.

I entered the Albatross meet today: 50 back/100 back/50 fly. I forgot to enter the 200 back on line, so I sent an email to Jeff Roddin asking him to add that event for me. I will want to do another 50 back if anything goes awry with the first one (feet slip, forget nose clip, go past 15 -- I've done all those, though it's extremely rare). There are also 4 people from my team entered, so we may do a 200 medley relay at the end of the meet. At least I'm voting for the 200 over the 400 since I am swimming fly.

Updated March 13th, 2011 at 09:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga