The FAF AFAP Digest

My USMS Page:
http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
My team:
Rockwall Aquatic Masters ("RAM")

1. Vid+ recovery Swim, Monday, March 5

by , March 5th, 2012 at 03:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Video from Warrenton Meet:

Here is the vid from my 27.46 50 back yesterday. I'm in lane 6. Thank you Margaret Conze for videoing. I'm grateful to have it! Compared to my 28.23 50 back vid from the Sprint Classic last October, I can say that: (1) my under waters were decidedly better, especially on the second 25; (2) my turnover may have been ever so slightly faster, and (3) I stuck the finish better. 33 kicks, 19 strokes.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_-j4PC16zI&feature=share"]Leslie's new 50 SCY Backstroke National Record Swim - YouTube[/nomedia]

Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

20 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :35-:40

6 x (5 x 50)
    5 single arm fly
    5 single arm back
    5 breast dolphin
    5 DPS free
    5 caterpillar fly drill
    5 various sculls

100 free
    100 DAB

Total: 2700

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm sore from the meet, but actually felt pretty good in the water. Just swam smooth; pure recovery swim. My plan is to hit it hard this week, then do a 5 day drop taper/rest for the Albatross meet next Saturday. After listening to our complaints about mixed gender heats, Jeff Roddin has separated men and women for the 50s. But after a meet of all 50s, I'm still leaning toward doing the 100 fly/100 IM and something else (maybe 50 free at the end). After Albatross, I'll kill it until 3 weeks before Nats and then start tapering.

Updated March 6th, 2012 at 11:19 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Warrenton Meet, Surprise NR & PRs, March 4

by , March 4th, 2012 at 03:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I swam out of my mind today. I'm so excited that I doubt I'll sleep a wink tonight!

Woke up at the crack of dawn for me, 6:15 am, to make sure I was awake and caffeinated for the 50 minute drive out to the Warrenton meet. I was extremely relaxed since it was a local meet and I was just swimming 3 x 50. I had a solid warm up. I then headed to the locker room and ripped a tech suit all down the side. lol. I donned an old LZR Elite with small holes and very little leg compression left. However, I'm still thinking it's my lucky suit.

50 Breast, 33.3

Wow. I had been thinking, based on the 38.2 in SCM I swam tapered at NE Champs, that I might go a 34 high today. So this was much faster than expected. And I didn't have the best start. As happens sometimes, I was too deep on the start and was not at the surface after the pullout. I had to float to the top a little. My left heel also kicked air a couple times. (Probably a result of no whip kick in practice.) Still, I was very pleased with the time. Technically, it's a PR, beating a previous B70 best of 33.8. (I previously swam a 32.9 with a Jaked at Nats in 2010, but was DQ'd.) I may rest on this time for the SCY season. I'm not swimming 50 breast at Nationals b/c of the order of events. But this time would have been #2 last season.

50 fly, PR, 26.79

I felt like my race execution was right on. I had an exceedingly good start, very fast off the blocks and a great push. I had clean breakouts and hit my walls just right. I only took 1 breath after the breakout on the second 25 (pretty sure all other races I've taken 2). The only obvious flaw I could detect was that I grazed my right hand on the lane line twice on the second 25; the lanes in this pool are very narrow. My previous PR was a 27.0 from Feb. 2009 in a B70, so I was just shocked by the time! The NR in this event is 26.77, so I narrowly missed it by .02. But since I never expected to go under 27, ever, I was just thrilled.

50 Back, PR & NR, 27.4

All I can say is that I was absolutely dumbfounded when I looked at the clock, and had to stare at it several times. I basically killed the NR I set last October at the Sprint Classic of 28.23. I had a feeling I might be slightly faster today after my first two events. But I never expected to be this fast. Race execution was also near perfect -- so very rare. I had a quick start and was underwater (16 kicks) to the 14.75 mark. I was a little long going into the turn maybe, but Jeff Roddin said I flipped quickly. My arms were moving so fast and throwing up water that I had a tiny bit of trouble seeing the flags. I hit the finish well too with no glide. 8 strokes down & 11 back. My prior PR was a 27.9 from 2009 (then an NR) in a full body LZR so this was blazing for me. This may replace last year's 50 SCM back as the best swim of my masters career.

Went out to lunch with friends after, which is always one of the nicest parts of meets!

Unofficial meet results are here:
    http://www.warrentonmasters.org/
    (Attached are a couple pics from the meet director, one of me looking quite stunned.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thoughts:

On the drive home, I was thinking about how I popped off those times right now. I decided:

1. Jan & Feb may have been two of my best months -- ever -- of training. 5 swims most weeks with a ton of hard speed workouts. No question I've been training at a much higher level than last summer & fall. Part of this is due to being healthy with thyroid issues in the past.

2. I was pretty rested for this meet. Looking back at my blog, I basically rested 9 days. I backed off a few days earlier than planned when I started feeling overly fatigued from training. Plus, I rested more than I normally would have this week when I felt a cold coming on.

3. I was very relaxed because this is a low key local in season meet (though the pool is quite fast). Being relaxed with no expectations certainly makes a meet more enjoyable. But sometimes I also think it helps you swim/sprint faster. I also seem to do well/better at meets that don't require travel.

4. Less is more wrt events. I had signed up for the 50 free. But with only 20 minutes or less after that until 50 fly, I decided to scratch. Jazz Hands was a bit tired on his 50 fly. So I definitely did the right thing.

5. The Speedo concoction of strong heavily sugared coffee seems to work for me.
    heehee

6. Good execution. So very rare indeed when things go just right. Since I never practice starts, I was psyched to nail my fly start.

Updated March 7th, 2012 at 10:25 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	421118_402626713096123_115488881809909_5393776_1617413541_n.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	6802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	417336_402626673096127_115488881809909_5393775_2088559942_n.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	6803  
  3. Sat., March 3

by , March 3rd, 2012 at 04:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    60 minutes of stretching and RC/scapular exercises.

Gull (who is recovering rhomboid tendonitis) gave me these rhomboid stretches: http://www.ndortho.com/Pt_Advisor-WE...oid_Strain.pdf. The middle of the back can be a hard spot to stretch. I especially like the doorway stretch.

Suit(s) Report:

Tried on my Arena X-Glide. Like it very much. It's similar to the LZR Elite. Slightly different material. I wish the top half were slightly smaller. Not sure if I should keep it or not ... My LZR Elite seems to fit better on top, though it is not as compressing in the legs (probably all stretched out). Edit: I'm going to send back the Arena suit for the next size down. In my (expert haha ) view, it should have taken longer to get on even with Glide. Thanks to Teen Fort (who will only wear B70), I have also gotten my hands on a used FS3. I managed to wedge my body into it without undue trouble. So I may give that suit a whirl tomorrow and see it it is deserving of the recent bad press. Tt is certainly more compressing in the legs than the LZR Elite and has a very different feel.

Still planning on 50 breast/50 fly/50 back tomorrow.

Updated March 3rd, 2012 at 05:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Brain Fart, Friday, March 2

by , March 2nd, 2012 at 03:57 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I was very excited to have a social swim with Speedo scheduled today. Left the house with water in hand. The only problem was that I forgot my backpack. Whoops! I chatted with Pete for awhile and then drove home and found it on the garage floor. But I had nothing else planned for early afternoon, so headed back to the pool to get in a short solo workout.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :35
    6 x 50 fly drills @ 1:00-1:10
    25 EZ
    4 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ
    75 EZ
    2 x 25 AFAP backstroke from the blocks
    -- went 12 high and 12 mid from a rolling start moving after the clock ticked past 59
    -- 75 and 125 EZ after each
    -- was a touch faster on the one that was shallower
    -- 16 kicks, need to take 15 with kneeskin
    50 EZ

Total: 1800

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I felt pretty good in the pool today. I can tell I've rested the legs for a week. I'm glad the meet is Sunday to give me another day to recover from ART.

Here are the links to the psych sheet and heat sheets:
    http://www.warrentonmasters.org/Medi...12-program.pdf
    http://www.warrentonmasters.org/Medi...pring-2012.pdf

I got one wall lane, which reflects my usual 25% rate for end lanes. But I swam pretty fast at this pool last year with a couple races in end lanes in the shallower end. I don't really have any time expectations for the meet. Though I don't think I'll swim slow having just had a much needed easy recovery week. I may skip the 50 free as there's only 20 minutes between that and the 50 fly.

Race Club article about strength training:
    http://www.warrentonmasters.org/Medi...pring-2012.pdf

Butterfly, second kick:
    http://ht.ly/9pmK4
    -- I do love single arm fly for kicking timing.

Women's FS3:

A friend forwarded me this link re: womens FS3:
    http://forum.collegeswimming.com/vie...php?f=9&t=5777

And I found this one: Big10s Swimming Championshiops 2012 - FS3 Controversy - [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--7obWaL-Z4"]Big10s Swimming Championshiops 2012 - FS3 Controversy - YouTube[/nomedia]

--This says supposedly you're supposed to wear the FS3 6-8 x before the target race.
    -- I'd love to get my hands on a HS reject suit to see how it feels in the water.

Updated March 2nd, 2012 at 10:31 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Thursday, March 1

by , March 1st, 2012 at 04:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

8 x 25 back shooters w/fins @ :40

6 x 25 no breather free @ :40
    50 EZ

50 EZ
    50 EZ
    4 x 25 easy speed fly @ 1:00
    50 EZ

2 x (25 @ 90-95% + 75 EZ)
    free = 10 mid-high
    breast = 13 flat-ish
    100 dolphin dive

Total: 1750

ART, 30 minutes

Random thoughts:

1. It is absolutely gorgeous here! 67 and sunny. Top down. I feel like we got off with the easiest winter ever.

2. I have fought back this cold. This is the first time in recent memory I can recall doing this. I usually can't avoid a miserable downward spiral. I think it really helped to rest the very minute I felt it coming on. And, happily, this was supposed to be a recovery week anyway.

3. I did feel somewhat rested in the water.

4. I have been sleeping a lot. It is going to be brutal getting up at the crack of down for this weekend's meet. (sprinter whine)

5. I received my Arena X-Glide suit in the mail. Unfortunately, they sent me the open back and not the closed back. But with my body glide in hand, I will try it on to see how the size is (having never worn an Arena before). If the closed backs really take 2 to get on, I may just stick with the open back.

6. My shoulder/scapular area has calmed down slightly. However, I have had issues with my upper rhomboid and lower infrasprinatus areas off and for awhile now. I'm going to discuss PRP-ing these spots with my doctor next week. (I previously PRP'd the upper infraspinatus and supraspinatus in 2008.) In the interim, I may see if he will give me a tylenol or advil injection to calm those areas down. I've been diligently doing my rehab exercises, taking advil, etc. without any real effect. The ART seems to help the most. But I grow weary of it bothering me (sprinter whine), and the PRP is sure to help IMO.

7. I am wondering if my elbows are now stable enough to start lifting lightly. My left one is still bothering me every so slightly. I think it was from doing torque drills with paddles. I have not touched a paddle since.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  6. Tuesday, Feb. 28

by , February 28th, 2012 at 03:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

3 x (5 x 50 drills) @ :10 RI except more on breast
    5 fly, 5 back, 5 breast
    50 EZ

8 x 25 back shooters w/fins
    8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    4 dolphin, 4 speed drills
    50 EZ

8 x 25 belly shooters w/fins
    8 x 25
    odds = up tempo free @ :30
    evens = EZ
    100 EZ

Total: 2350

Definitely sick. The vitamin C laced key lime pie I gorged on while at The Couch last night didn't do the trick. My lovely friends on FB recommended Vitamin C mega doses, zinc, micellized A, echinacea and Cold Snap. I may take the day off tomorrow if I'm feeling worse. Lil Fort is getting the crud too.

I received the Arena X-Glide suit I ordered in the mail today. But they sent me the open back instead of the closed back. Losing big points on customer service ... The legs are shorter than the LZR Elite, which I don't like. And the fabric is not as stretchy. I used the sizing chart to order, but it looks possibly slightly big on top. I don't have the energy right now to try it on at the moment.

Event order for Albatross Meet. What to swim?!

I could do:
    100 fly/100 IM/50 free
    or 50 back/100 IM/50 free
    or 100 fly/50 breast/100 IM
    or 100 fly/50 breast/50 fly

I just want to do something different than last year when I swam 50 back/100 back/50 fly.

EVENT SCHEDULE
    Warm-ups start at 2:00 PM
    Meet Session starts at 3:00 PM
    # Gender Event
    1 Mixed 100 M Fly
    2 Mixed 100 M Free
    3 Mixed 200 M Breast
    4 Female 50 M Back
    5 Male 50 M Back
    6 Mixed 200 M IM
    7 Female 50 M Breast
    8 Male 50 M Breast
    9 Mixed 200 M Free
    10 Mixed 100 M Back
    11 Mixed 200 M Fly
    Couples 100 M Relay
    12 Mixed 100 M IM
    13 Mixed 200 M Back
    14 Female 50 M Fly
    15 Male 50 M Fly
    16 Mixed 100 M Breast
    17 Female 50 M Free
    18 Male 50 M Free

Updated February 28th, 2012 at 09:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Monday, Feb. 27

by , February 27th, 2012 at 03:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

8 x 50 fly drills
    odds = caterpillar @ 1:10
    evens = single arm @ 1:00

Main Sets:
    -- used fins

5 x through
    50 back + 50 back kick @ 1:45
    50 breast @ 1:00
    50 EZ

6 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

Rich A. set from workout #2 on the HIT forum:
    [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20266"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

32 x 25
    odds = easy speed/up tempo @ :30
    evens = easy
    -- did the odds 4 of each stroke in reverse IM order
    -- free, 12s, breast, high 14s, back, high 11s, fly, 12 highs
    -- really liked this set; it's a great set for a recovery week or when resting for a meet
    50 EZ

2 x (25 AFAP back shooter + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
    -- went high 8s

8 x 25 @ :45
    odds = front scull
    evens = long breast pullout
    50 EZ

Total: 3300

Felt a little draggy at first after the weekend off. But better as I went along. Still tired though. Going to cut the amount of fast swimming quite a bit during this recovery week. I think I might be coming down with something. Really hope not!

Re-reading my blog from last year I see that March was the month of the stretch. That seemed to work out fairly well, so I may try to do it again.

Just saw this on FB: http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...nZrz0.facebook. I guess KPN got to the NR before I had another shot at it. This may change what I swim at the Albatross Open.

Updated February 27th, 2012 at 06:07 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Monday, Feb. 27

by , February 27th, 2012 at 03:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

8 x 50 fly drills
    odds = caterpillar @ 1:10
    evens = single arm @ 1:00

Main Sets:
    -- used fins

5 x through
    50 back + 50 back kick @ 1:45
    50 breast @ 1:00
    50 EZ

6 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

Rich A. set from workout #2 on the HIT forum:
    [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20266"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

24 x 25
    odds = easy speed @ :30
    evens = easy
    -- did the odds 4 of each stroke in reverse IM order
    -- free, 12s, breast, high 14s, back, high 11s, fly, 12 highs
    -- really liked this set; it's a great set for a recovery week or when resting for a meet
    50 EZ

2 x (25 AFAP back shooter + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
    -- went high 8s

8 x 25 @ :45
    odds = front scull
    evens = long breast pullout
    50 EZ

Total: 3100

Felt a little draggy at first after the weekend off. But better as I went along. Going to cut the amount of fast swimming quite a bit during this recovery week. Still think I might be coming down with something. Really hope not!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Sunday, Feb. 26

by , February 26th, 2012 at 05:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Rehab exercises, 40 minutes

Stretching/Foam Roller, 40 minutes

After feeling pretty rough last Friday, I resolved to take the weekend off. The lack of a recovery week since Dec., combined with a lot of HIT workouts, probably caused some accumulated fatigue. I was also worried I might be coming down with a cold, but after marathon sleep last night, feel better.

I did sign myself up for the Warrenton meet next Sunday.

And I'm very proud of my Lil Fort who took a minute off her PR and ran a 21:40 5K today. She seems like a natural runner.

Fort Son's coach told him to take 7-10 days off rowing/lifting to try to speed his mono recovery. He's hoping to feel better by his training trip over spring break.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Friday, Feb. 24

by , February 24th, 2012 at 04:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

45 minutes slow, mostly continuous swim.

ART, 30 min

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Woke up feeling tuckered out despite a good night's sleep, so no lactate workout for me today. It was probably unrealistic anyway, as I've done 3 hard speed workouts this week.

I'm feeling a little panicky about my left shoulder. It's been bothering me for weeks now, despite faithfully doing my RC and scapular exercises. (Did another round just last night). Worried that I'm on the verge of tendonitis. ART doc says probably not yet, but that I have inflammation in the subscapularis, teres and lower infraspinatus area. I have a very tight supraspinatus as well. I wonder if not going to yoga is a culprit there? The ART session was one of the more painful I've had lately. He says I'll be sore for a couple days. I need more Aleve!

I did make a precautionary appt with my pain doc for March 8.

I'm still blaming my elbows for causing this problem. However, I wonder if the failure to take a recovery week may have contributed some? I am going to be resting some between now and Match 17, so perhaps that will help.

Updated February 24th, 2012 at 06:39 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  11. Thursday, Feb. 23

by , February 23rd, 2012 at 04:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    6 x 25 shooters
    5 x 50 single arm fly @ 1:00
    5 x 50 free w/paddles @ :50
    50 EZ

Speed/Power Sets:

12 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    8 speed drills, 4 dolphin
    50 EZ

6 x 50 "accelerations" w/fins @ 1:15
    odds = 25 kick down to bottom of pool w/kickboard, jump off bottom, sprint flutter kick to wall from dead start + 25 EZ
    evens = 25 swim free to mid pool, flip turn, dive down and squat jump off bottom of pool, sprint to wall from dead start + 25 EZ
    75 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP backstroke from blocks
    -- rolling start
    -- 29 flat
    175 EZ

8 x 25 AFAP back shooters w/MF @ 1:00
    -- was hoping to hold high 8s and I did
    150 EZ

8 x 25 w/parachute @ 1:15
    4 = free w/paddles & fins
    4 = back shooters
    100 EZ

Total: 2900

Tired from that effort. I may do workout #5 from the HIT forum tomorrow: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20228"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame].

I am in desperate need of a tech suit. I have an ancient LZR Elite and a another pretty used one with two small holes in it. I sent back the FS3 I ordered last week. So I went ahead and pre-ordered the Arena Carbon Pro closed back kneeskin. The problem is is doesn't come out for awhile and I have the Albatross meet that I'd like to swim well at on March 17. (Haven't decided how much to rest yet ...) I may have to order another suit as a back up. Not sure if I should order another LZR Elite or the new Arena X-Glide. I haven't worn Arena suits before, so I'm not sure how they fit. Anyone have experience with them?
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Wed., Feb. 22

by , February 22nd, 2012 at 08:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC/scapular/elbow/ankle rehab
    explosive leg press, 270 x 3 x 12
    wide grip lat pulldowns, 50 x 3 x 20
    good mornings, warm up, 85 x 4 x 8
    low row negatives, 50 x 3 x 12
    overhead squats, 55 x 3 x 10
    standing broad jumps, 10*
    knee tuck jumps, 10
    TRX squat jumps, 15
    captains chair leg raises, 30
    power wheel roll outs, 25
    long arm crunches, 50
    TRX moving planks, 20

* I have no idea what is "good" for a standing broad jump. Rich A told me he was doing 8 feet, which seems pretty far. I think I was doing approx 6 feet today or a couple inches short of that.

Stretching/Yoga/Foam roller, 30 minutes

Tried to go to yoga after the gym, but got stuck in traffic. Oh well. I haven't been as jazzed about yoga these days anyway. No idea why. Maybe I've been spending too much time doing all those $#*&%+* rehab exercises.

I'm attaching an ancient picture from 1975 today that I ran across. James chimed right in reminding me that he hadn't been born then. Very primitive blocks and it doesn't look like anyone was wearing goggles. I'm told this was a 100 free LCM race, which seems very un-Fort like.

Fort Son does have mono. I'm really bummed for him. Doc thinks he's had it since December training trip when he was very sick.

Updated February 22nd, 2012 at 09:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1706_105991325051_797920051_5159474_7024_n.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	6797  
  13. Tuesday, Feb. 21

by , February 21st, 2012 at 05:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    10 x 25 free w/paddles, no breath @ :35
    5 x 50 torque drill w/paddles @ 1:30
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

10 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    100 EZ

12 x AFAP 50s, done as:

3 x (4 x broken AFAP 50 w/fins + 50 EZ @ 3:00)
    -- broken :10 at 25
    -- 100 EZ after each round

Round 1: IM order, no fins on 50 back
    10/10, 13/14, 13/14, 10/high 10-11 flat
    Round 2: IM order, shooters on back
    10/10 high, 8 high/9 high, 13/14, 10 high/12
    Round 3: dolphin kick w/board
    1st 25: 10 high-11 mid, 2nd 25: 11 high-12

100 EZ

Total: 3100

The last set kicked my ass, especially following on the heels of yesterday's speed workout. Lactate was really spiking in last round. Saving the kicks for last is killer that way.

Swim Science article where Mullen postulates that swimmers need to focus on athleticism, not just neural training of swim skills: http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/...-athletic.html

Need to sign up for Warrenton meet: https://www.ClubAssistant.com/club/m...1481&smid=3731. Still planning on 4 x 50.

Really bummed that Fort Son told me he thinks he has mono. He's waiting for results of a blood test. He had really improved his erg scores with some real college coaching. He does not have the type of personality that will deal with mono very well.

Updated February 21st, 2012 at 05:42 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Monday, Feb. 20

by , February 20th, 2012 at 05:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :35
    8 x 25 free w/paddles, no breath @ :35
    5 x 50 double torque drill w/paddles @ 1:15
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

8 x 25 burst to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
    -- 4 speed drills, 4 dolphin
    50 EZ

Then I did a modified version of a speed set from workout #4 in the HIT forum: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20228"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

4 x (5 x 50 w/fins) @ 1:30
    -- 100 EZ between each round

1-5: free
    5/7/9 strokes fast, fast 25 (10), fast 25 (10)
    6-10: dolphin kick on back
    8/10/12 kicks fast, fast 25 (9 flat), fast 25 (8 high)
    11-15: breast
    4/5/6 strokes fast, fast 25 (13 high), fast 25 (13 high)
    16-20: dolphin kick on belly
    10/12/14 kicks fast, fast 25 (9 high), fast 25 (9 high)

8 x 25 w/parachute @ 1:15
    1-4: free w/paddles & chute
    5-8: flutter kick w/board & chute -- these were ridiculously hard
    100 EZ

Total: 3250

Stretching & Rehab Exercises, 45 minutes

Couldn't get to yoga today with it being a school holiday, but did get this speed workout in. It's very quiet in the house with Teen Fort in Boston today. Despite the fact that it's sunny and 50 there, highly unusual for Feb., she thinks it's "cold and ugly." She likely just knows that I love Boston, so has decided to take the opposite view. On a happier note, Mr. Fort has completely dropped the notion of an early April vacation. His training partner over dinner agreed with me that it was unworkable and unfair. Heehee.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Sunday, Feb. 13

by , February 19th, 2012 at 04:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

rehab exercises (25 min)
    explosive leg press, 270 x 4-5 x 15
    seated row negatives, 50 x 3 x 15
    overhead squats w/bar, 45 x 2 x 15, 55 x 1 x 15
    leg extensions, 130 x 4 x 7
    wide grip lat pulldowns, 50 x 3 x 20
    good mornings, 85 x 4 x 8
    knee tuck jumps, 10
    altitude drops, 10

Swim/SCM/Solo:

1500 meters easy in gym pool

Rushed out of the pool to go to Lil Fort's swim meet and it was cancelled. Power outage. Oh well, probably needed an easy swim anyway. I can tell I am in need of a recovery week. But I'll have to wait another week.
  16. Friday, Feb. 17

by , February 17th, 2012 at 09:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Mostly Solo:

Warm up/Transition:

400 various
    Speedo chat break, which we should have done in the hot tub in retrospect
    200 back/kick

10 x 25 shooters on back w/fins

5 x 50 free w/paddles @ :50
    4 x 50 torque drill w/paddles @ whatever
    75 EZ

Speed Sets:

10 x burst + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

5 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 100 EZ) @ 5:00
    1 = fly, 23 low
    2 = fly-back, 23 mid
    3 = back-breast, 26 high-27 flat
    4 = breast-free, 25
    5 = fly, 23 mid

5 x 50 w/stretch cordz @ 2:00
    25 resisted free w/paddles + 25 assisted speed
    125 EZ

Total: 2650

ART, 30 minutes:

Got my scapular area and shoulder worked on again. I think after lots of rehab exercises and some body work, it's starting to feel better.

Felt kinda sluggish in the water today. I think I'm not fully recovered from that deep tissue massage yet. Still, times were solid considering.

Went to GMU for the VA AAA HS Champsafter ART. Lots of fast swimming. Very peculiar incident. The 2 top boys in the 100 fly were DQ'd for flinching on the start. One DQ was reversed by the head ref. However, it was his son and the other DQ stood. That sounds dicey indeed. Teen Fort is just swimming relays. Happily, her medley relay went faster even after kicking off their fast freestyler who loafed at Regionals. She is swimming tomorrow and then heading up to Boston for a couple days. She was supposed to erg in the Crash Sprints with some teammates, but hasn't been erging due to a cortisone injection in the knee. But she does have unofficial visits with two college coaches.

I am having a day of exasperation with my I can run anywhere husband. To my consternation, he announced today that he simply must go on vacation the first week of April, to a location with no real pool. Huh. My April meets have been on the calendar forever. Naturally, I had to remind him that I wrecked havoc on my past two long course seasons due to long family vacations. And last April I missed Zones for the Boston marathon and didn't do a SCY taper. How quickly they forget! Round 1: Fortress. The facts are clearly on my side.

Updated February 17th, 2012 at 09:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  17. Thursday, Feb. 16

by , February 16th, 2012 at 05:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands, 90 min:

scapular/RC/elbow/ankle exercises
    flutter kicks on back on bosu, 2 x 100
    captains chair leg raises, 2 x 30, boom
    extreme angle step ups with BB, 30 x 3 x 10
    good mornings, 80 x 4 x 8
    leg abductors, 140 x 4 x 6
    explosive leg press, 270 x 4 x 12
    extreme angle squats with kettle balls and stacked steps (feet are elevated on the steps), 40 x 4 x 12 -- I like this one.
    seated rows negatives, very light, 50 x 2 x 15
    wide grip lat pulldowns, very light, 50 x 3 x 20
    altitude drops, 2 x 10

Bike, 30 minutes

Stretching, 30 minutes

Took yesterday off because, predictably, I was done in by the mega sprints + deep tissue. Had a productive day at the gym -- especially by lazy sprinter standards -- as a result. Broke down and did some very lights rows and pulldowns. (Shoulder and back pain is worse than elbow pain.) Tomorrow, I'm swimming with Speedo. But given his new "main sets" I may have to show up an hour early.
  18. Mega Sprinting, Tuesday, Feb 14

by , February 14th, 2012 at 07:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    6 x 25 shooters @ :35
    6 x 25 no breather free w/paddles @ :35
    4 x 50 torque drill w/paddles @ 1:30
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

Did a workout from sprinter John Elbers' (retired MAC Elite swimmer) blog that I "mastersized." Basically a neuro-sprint set + sprint endurance set. Well, for me it's sprint endurance since "distance oriented" sets are not on my sprinter agenda.

10 x 25 burst to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
    -- dolphin kick on back
    50 EZ

8 x 25 burst to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
    -- fast hands breast
    50 EZ

6 x 25 burst to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
    -- dolphin kick on belly
    50 EZ

4 x 25 burst to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
    -- fast doggy paddle
    100 EZ

5 x (broken AFAP 100s w/fins + 150 EZ) @ 6:00-7:00
    -- This set could also be characterized as repeat sets of AFAP 25s on short rest.
    -- I focused on a target time for each 25.
    -- I started out with :15 rest at each 25, but that interval was a pain, so switched it to :30 for the other 4 100s. Much easier to keep track of things.

1 = fly (10, 11, 12, 11 high)
    2 = fly (10, 10, 11, 11)
    -- happy with this. aside from some fatigue, the difference between 10 & 11 is that I took a breath on the 11s
    3 = IM (10, 10, 14, 11)
    4 = flutter kick w/board (all 11 lows)
    5 = shooter on back (all low 9s, had been hoping I could hold this)

Total: 3350

Massage, 75 minutes:

I was pretty tight, especially the scapular and supraspinatus areas. They break down with no weights + sprinting.

I'm really tired after that workout! That's a LOT of sprinting yardage for me. Tried to get in a tough workout today, since I'm busy tomorrow with various things. Might make it to the gym though. I obviously need to do more stretching.

I'm way ahead of my GTD pace. I suspect I've been swimming more this year. Swimming is much more pleasant with less lifting and upper body fatigue. I'm doing more speed/race pace work as well so far.

Updated February 14th, 2012 at 08:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Il Garbagio, Monday, Feb. 13

by , February 13th, 2012 at 05:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

8 x 50 fly drills @ 1:00-1:05

30 x 50 DPK shooters w/MF
    1-10: back @ :30
    :30 rest
    11-20: belly @ :30
    :30 rest
    21-30: 360 twirling @ :35
    50 EZ

15 x 50 DPS free w/paddles & fins @ :50
    -- fins just to float; hate buoys
    50 EZ

8 x 25 long breast pullouts
    50 EZ

Total: 2850

20 minutes rehab exercises

Just swam slow and worked on technique today. I don't actually consider it Il Garbagio, but some might. I needed a recovery workout after yesterday's double, and yoga didn't fit today's schedule. Tomorrow, I will do a sprint workout and I have a massage booked. Not for Valentine's Day; I really try to ignore that silly holiday.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Sunday Double, Feb. 13

by , February 13th, 2012 at 10:32 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC/ankle/scapular/elbow exercises
    kettle ball reverse scoops, 25 x 2 x 15
    total ab machine, 130 x 3 x 15
    good mornings, 65 1 x 1 8, 75 x 3 x 8
    box squats, 135 x 1 x 5 , 145 x 2 x 5 -- I just prefer the power squat machine; I don't like all that weight resting on my shoulders
    explosive leg press, 270 x 4 x 12
    altitude drops, 10
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    lateral bunny hops, 3 x 15
    standing broad jumps, 2 x 10

Swim/SCY/Solo:

I had planned to go to yoga. But Mr. Fort has a running injury (probably from not going slow enough when he's supposed to be going slow ), and our chiro and I persuaded him to try deep water running. A pool is very foreign to him, so I had to drive him there and throw him in. Since it was somewhat less crowded than usual on the weekend, I decided to do a real workout despite just having done weights.

Warm up:

8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :35
    8 x 25 no breather free w/fins @ :35
    50 EZ

Main LP Sets:

24 x 50:

8 x 50 back shooters w/fins best average @ 1:30
    -- coming right after weights, this was the most unspeakably horrible painful set I've done in recent memory
    -- the combo of O2 deprivation and speed on short rest is tough and I probably started out too fast
    -- 22 flat, 22 flat, 23 low, 23 low 23 high, 23 high, 23 high, 23 high
    200 EZ

8 x 50 fly w/fins @ 100 pace @ 1:30
    -- went mid to high 26s, a couple 27 flats
    -- this is probably a half second too slow, but a noodler joined my lane after the first 2 and I had do so some single arm strokes and crappy streamlines to avoid collision
    200 EZ

8 x 50 breast w/fins @ 100 pace
    -- went high 29s-30 flats
    200 EZ

Total: 2900

I'm feeling quite righteous having a LT set after weights, so I may just loaf and stretch today. Mondays are typically a light workout day for me anyway since Lil Fort only has a half day of school.

I really should have put my compression tights on last night, but I was rushing out to a rare dinner and movie.

Updated February 13th, 2012 at 03:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts