View RSS Feed

Yoga

1. Stretch & Core, Sat. Jan. 30

by , January 30th, 2010 at 04:41 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    We're getting a quasi snow storm here. It's still coming down and everything, including the high school districts swim meet finals, is cancelled. I decided to keep working on my stretching (my only new years resolution) and do some core work at home.

Power Yoga, Rodney Lee

I popped in this 60 minute DVD. It was pretty good, perhaps a few too many downward dogs for my taste, but worthwhile. I have a suspicion that the DDs may stretch the shoulders too much, consistent with the recent article in Swimmer magazine.

I liked the Bryan Kest DVD better. I wish there were more Bryan Kest power yoga DVDs, but he seems to have his more recent advanced routines, which are even less vinyasa focused, on CD. I likewise liked the P90X yoga DVD better than this one. And I still like bikram better than all of them!

P90X Core Synergistics:

I popped in this 60 minute DVD later in the day with the following exercises: http://stanford.wellsphere.com/exerc...ergistics/9917. I substituted the power wheel for a few plank-related exercises and skipped the last 10 minutes of stretching.

Commentary:

I'm actually enjoying doing the yoga DVDs at home. I feel like I get in a LOT of stretching I wouldn't otherwise do on my own, along with some further core strengthening. If I can keep this up, it will be interesting to see how/if it transfers to the water.

Now, I'm hoping the Reston/Lameton bikram studio will, in fact, be open tomorrow for my session with Jazzy.

Updated January 30th, 2010 at 09:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  2. Friday, Jan. 29

by , January 29th, 2010 at 04:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Power Yoga:

Today, I tried Bryan Kest's power yoga DVD.

http://www.poweryoga.com/
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/bryan-kests-...a-santa-monica
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bryan-Kest-Power-Complete-Collection/dp/B0001WTWYC"]Amazon.com: Bryan Kest Power Yoga Complete Collection: Bryan Kest: Movies & TV[/ame]

I really liked this DVD. One hour of strength, balance and flexibility postures. There was the standard vinyasa poses, but not repeated umpteen 1000 x in a row. I did the advanced routine. I couldn't quite do a couple of the full twisting poses, but could do most everything else. Although holding a backbend for a minute maintaining "equanimty" is somewhat difficult.

Swim/SCY/ Solo:

Today, I modified one of Geek's workouts for my main set. I didn't do as many rounds as his team did, and I had more generous rest intervals.

Warm up:

600 various
    200 fly drills

Drill Sets:

10 x 25 twirling shooters w/fins (2 dolphin kicks on belly, 2 on right side, 2 on left side, and 2 on back, etc.)

(Pete, you should do this one!)

4 minutes of vertical kicking:
    alternate 1 min. of evil kick and 1 minute of dolphin kick

5 x 50 PLD breast w/fins @ 1:00
    Try to streamline to the 15 meter mark

50 EZ

Speed Sets:

4 rounds of:

4 x 25 fast kick, no fins @ 1:00
    50 breast pull w/pull buoy

Round 1 = flutter kick w/board, went 16s.
    Round 2 = shooter on back, went 14.5-15.5s
    Round 3 = shooter on belly, went 14.5-15.5s
    Round 4 = dive from side and power dolphin kick to 15 meter mark and cruise in

On round 4, I took 13, 12.5, 12, and 12 kicks to get to the 15 meter mark. I was rushing the kick on the first two. I think this means I should probably take 10 kicks from a block start in a tech suit. I was surprised that round 3 was as fast as round 2. Usually, I'm slower on my belly, but I have been trying to work on this by doing more dolphin kick w & w/o a board. Times are all approximate though, as I have trouble seeing the pace clocks.

1 round w/fins of:

1 x 50 fast (did fly, went 24.5)
    1 x 100 6 kick switch backstroke drill

2 x 50 fast @ 1:30 (did back, went 24.5s)
    1 x 100 6 switch backstroke drill

3 x (50 fast + 50 EZ) @ 2:30
    (did flutter kick w/board, went 25s)
    1 x 100 EZ

Geek did 3 rounds of this in his workout. I did it more as a lactate set.

Total: 2700 + VK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I really liked this workout, and may try it again with the 3 rounds on an aerobic day. The legs didn't feel too bad after yesterday's kick session with Speedo, though last night I was super tired. A good night's sleep helped with the recovery.

On the gluten/dairy front, I seem to be having more success eliminating gluten. I did a "test" by eating some wheat thins the other day, and broke out in a rash and got wheezy. So I think it's pretty conclusive, and consistent with the blood test I had. I have been feeling better with an abatement of symptoms, though I understand it takes many months to get the gluten out of your system completely.

I'm off to watch my sick kid swim in the high school District championships tonight. They were thinking of having just timed finals tonight, but it looks like the worst of the storm may miss us and hit further south in Geek's area. So I'll probably be back at it tomorrow night.

I may take tomorrow off except for some stretching. I haven't had a day off in awhile.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  3. Wed., Jan 27

by , January 27th, 2010 at 05:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

My legs were a bit sore from yoga, so I decided to focus primarily on the arms and core:

med ball slams & twist, about 18 minutes in racquetball court (I was watching a Muscle Up class across the hallway and thinking my workout was much better than theirs!)

power wheel roll outs, 2 x 25
    body rows, 3 x 15
    elevated push ups, 4 x 15 (2 spiderman,* 2 regular)
    hip hinges, 30 x 1 x 15
    one legged squats w/DBs, 40 x 2 x 15, each leg
    side bends on cable machine, 80 x 2 x 15, each side
    Icarian incline lever row, 80 (?) x 2 x 15
    kneeling ab crunches on cable machine, 80 x 3 x 15
    lying overhead tricep press, 60 x 2 x 10 (hard)

RC: 1 set of external and internal rotators, prone scapular scrunches, scapular wall slides, and 3 position arm extensions.

* http://askthetrainer.com/feet-elevat...n-pushups.html -- very hard!

After this, I munched on a Raw Revolution food bar and banana. Then I headed over to the pool with a Geekity speed workout in hand. But, to my dismay and annoyance, I forgot my suit. I didn't have time to retrieve it, so headed home to do ....

Spin:

45 minutes on stationary bike while watching MadMen. Even that couldn't eliminate the boredom of this exercise. No idea how Q did 3+ hours.

P90X Yoga:

To get my stretching in for the day, I did the last 35 minutes of the P90X yoga DVD. It was mostly seated stretching and core work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I was bummed about forgetting my suit. I don't like to go 2 days in a row without swimming. I had a good workout planned that I'll probably do on Friday now.

Got the Speedo Eilte LZR Pro (for my dau) in the mail today. It looks just like the Pro except it has no seams like the Jaked. And, speaking of the Jaked, mine has mysteriously gone missing. If I can't find it, my temper will match my hair.

TRX:

Anyone done any TRX? http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/. FlyQueen was telling me about it over dinner last week. She said Christine Magnuson is a huge fan. It looks like another clever way of doing bodyweight exercises.

GU:

This new flavor looks promising for meets and 2x caffeine. http://store.guenergy.com/Jet_Blackb...blackberry.htm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAZZY!

Updated January 27th, 2010 at 09:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning , Yoga
  4. Tuesday, Jan. 26

by , January 26th, 2010 at 03:11 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hot Yoga:

Speedo was home with a sick kid, stuck on the dread stationary bike. So we postponed our kick workout until Thursday. Given that, I decided it was an ideal time for a hot yoga session; I really needed some stretching after the last week. I decided to try the studio is Reston aka Lameton. http://www.restonyoga.com/. It was very nice, bigger than the other one I've gone to and hence less crowded. I actually came out feeling refreshed (though now I'm tired). I sent a message to Jazzy with the schedule, so he can accompany me soon.

I wanted to get an easy swim in today. However, I got a call from Mini Fort who is sick. I had to pick her up from school and go to the doc -- strep throat. Not good timing for a drama queen who is souring on swimming ...

I am getting some RC work in as I tend to sick kid.

Looking for a good sprint workout for tomorrow ...

And, oh, my arms weren't nearly as sore today from the med ball game as they were the first time. Progress!

Couple Interesting Articles from WSJ:

Hidden Fat:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...433081780.html

Food Allergies:

http://blogs.wsj.com/juggle/2010/01/...te-the-juggle/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...194645130.html

Push up:

http://askthetrainer.com/feet-elevat...n-pushups.html

Updated January 27th, 2010 at 10:15 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  5. I hate Vinyasa, Saturday, Jan. 23

by , January 23rd, 2010 at 04:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Run:

The sun shone and the temperature eeked up to 40 degrees today, so I opted for a run. Did my usual 5 mile zen run loop. Stopped for a quick chat and walked an up. It was quite divine.

Yoga:

I tried the Solar Flow option on the Yogi Shakti DVD this afternoon. I could only stomach about 15-20 minutes of it. I never want to hear or do the vinyasa sequence chataranga-upward dog-downward dog again. Perhaps I would have liked some of the other segments of the video better, but I didn't like the first part for sure. I think I may need to stick to bikram or power yoga.

In any event, I plugged in the P90X yoga DVD my friend gave me. It's also 90 minutes. I did about an hour of it. There was some vinyasa flow work, which I fast forwarded through as I didn't want to do it again. Otherwise, it seemed to have a lot of different movements from different yoga disciplines without any spirituality attached. I didn't get to the last 30 minutes of seated stretching (always my fav). I'll do that tomorrow. I would do this one again.

I'm definitely hitting the pool tomorrow and hoping the crowds aren't too bad. Hoping to do a lactate set. I didn't swim as much as usual this week. I am still aiming for 5x per week, which is my norm. Hopefully, I won't feel like a terd again tomorrow.

Suits:

FYI, I heard that Roque Santos, having left B70, is desiging his own line of new tech suits. The women's suit is supposed to come up slightly higher in the back.

Updated January 23rd, 2010 at 06:29 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running , Yoga
  6. Kick-Swim + Yoga, Tuesday, Jan. 19

by , January 19th, 2010 at 09:52 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 various

Kick Set:

10 x 25 twirling shooters w/MF @ :30

1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (breast)
    20 pullouts
    1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (flutter)
    20 pullouts
    1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (dolphin)
    20 pullouts
    1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (flutter)
    20 pullouts
    1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (breast)

10 x shooters w/MF @ :30
    odds = left side
    evens = right side

50 EZ

Aerobic Kick-Swim Set:

5 x (2 x 100) w/fins, done as:

1-2 = backstroke kick @ 1:20
    3-4 = backstroke @ 1:20
    5-6 = dolphin kick w/board @ 1:20
    7-8 = fly @ 2:00*
    9-10 = flutter kick w/board @ 1:20

* I took an extra 30 seconds rest before fly. I can't do fly on short rest. In fact, I'm amazed I even did 2 x 100 fly -- and did it last week as well.

50 EZ

Speed Sets:

10 x 50 double shooters on back w/MF
    odds = easy @ 1:30
    evens = AFAP @ 1:00

went: 21.5-22 (bad turn), 21, 20, 20.5, 20.5-21

This is the fastest set of 50s I've done with the MF. I was using a narrow amplitude and super high cycle kick. I have to slow down slightly before the walls.

100 EZ

8 x 25 @ whatevah
    odds = AFAP free
    evens = easy

100 EZ

Total: 3250 + VK

Vinyasa Yoga:

Tonight, I tried the Yoga Shakti DVD. http://www.google.com/products/catal...959&sa=title#p

I did the Lunar Flow, which was the 45 minute version (that was all the time I had). This was definitely just stretching, not a workout at all. In fact, it was just too slow for me, and I completely skipped the paranyama and shavasana at the end (not my favs anyway). This could be a good DVD for the end of the day. There are 2 90 minute Solar Flow workouts that are supposed to be much more challenging. Vinyasa, with it's flowing moves, is very different than Bikram where the emphasis is on holding postures to build strength and flexibility. I'll try the other workouts before I form an opinion. At the very least, it got me stretching tonight -- which was the goal!

And, unfortunately, I'm not very good at putting my heel behind my head anymore.

Commentary:

My hammies were a little sore today from the re-introduction of the squat yesterday. After my lazy week last week, I need to get back in the dryland groove. I was pretty happy with my kicking and speed work today. I was only using a 4 lb med ball for the vertical kicking today. (That was the only ball that was unlocked in the equipment room.) That definitely made the VK harder though.

I may enter the Tropical Splash on Jan. 31. http://www.alexandriamasters.com/meet/. Since I've been praising recent order of events, I feel free to grumble about this one slightly. All the 100s are the first half and 3 of the 50s and all the 200s are the second half. I have no idea what I want to swim besides one new secret event (for Patrick). Entries are due March 25, so I need to send out my form pronto. Edit: I dunno ... the new secret event I wanted to swim is not possible without electronic timing. No split requests permitted.

Geek posted this on my entry for yesterday in case anyone missed it: http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Wellness/fi...ory?id=9606251. His take home message: don't be a supplement hater!

Jim Corbeau sent me a great aerobic workout with some speed play that I may do tomorrow. I have to miss my Thursday workout with Speedo b/c I'm getting my hair "glazed" to compensate for anticipated fading. I hope to do his kick workout with him next Tuesday.

On the B2B ironman front, my son's friend (and cross country teammate), who will be 17+ on the day of the race, has gotten permission to enter even though he's not 18. So FortSon is agitating for it again, though he's worried he'll lose muscle even if he lifts while training.

Updated January 19th, 2010 at 10:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  7. Afternoon w/Jimby, Sat., Nov. 28

by , November 29th, 2009 at 12:00 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Yoga:

I did about 25-30 minutes of yoga and stretching today with my littlest one. Really worked over the back. I have some photos from this session, but I can't seem to upload them from this computer ...

PM: Core & Swim:

I drove to the Sewickley Y today to give Jimby tips on core exercises since he's decided I'm right. The poor man was literally in the dark without a clue! I tried to demo some of my favs and then he would attempt them (or some of them). He had his flip video camera with him, so this will no doubt end up on youtube. He was quite anxious to bounce quarters, but he seemed to think this had to be done from a prone rather than standing position? His gym was missing a couple key pieces of equipment (like a back extension bench, med balls and a bosu), but we did quite a few things including:

hanging reverse crunches & straight leg raises
    squat X press
    squat swing w/plate
    overhead squat
    deadlift
    reverse decline crunches & knee ins
    russian twists on incline bench
    superman banana
    dead bugs
    box jumps

I can't remember what else. I know I left out lunges, but Jim's back and legs will no doubt be grateful. Then we walked to the pool, Jimby all asweat, to do the following workout, which I stole and modified long ago from JMiller's Fun & Fast workout thread. It seemed like a good taper workout for me, and I think Jim liked having easier intervals and being able to focus on stroke technique and the like.

Swim SCY @ Sewickley:

Warm up:

600 variety

10 x 25 shooters
    (Jim did flutter kick)

Main set:

4 x 75 free @ 1:30
    1 x (25 AFAP free + 25 EZ)
    4 x 75 evil @ 1:30
    2 x (25 AFAP free/evil + 25 EZ)
    4 x 75 back @ 1:30
    3 x (25 AFAP back + 25 EZ)
    4 x 75 fly drill @ 1:30
    2 x (25 AFAP fly + 25 EZ)
    4 x 75 SDK on back @ 1:15
    1 x (25 AFAP free +25 EZ)

50 EZ

steamroom

Total: 2850

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I felt slightly better in the water today. I just cruised all the 75s, working on streamlines and underwater work. I'm hoping I didn't do too much in the gym to fatigue the legs. I'm sure I'll be fatigued tomorrow anyway, as I went straight from the pool to drinks with one set of friends and dinner with another set of friends. Chard overdose.

I have a really long drive ahead of me tomorrow, I know. I might try to hit the gym for a very easy swim if I get home in town. But that will completely depend on traffic.

NE CHamps:

The psych sheets for NE Champs are up at: http://www.greatbaymasters.org/09Psych.htm

I should have plenty of rest. My events start at:

Sat:

11:29: 100 IM
    3:35: 50 back
    4:59: 50 free

Sun:

11:08: 50 fly
    12:45: 100 back
    2:33: 50/100 evil
    3:32: 50/100 free

I'm a little taken back by how much time I have between the 100 IM and 50 back on Saturday. I'm not sure I've ever had that much rest between events at a meet. I'll obviously have to get in and loosen up inbetween, but I'm not exactly sure how much and when. However, the last time I sat around for 2.5 hours was before my 31.7 in the 50 back SCM last year, so maybe that bodes well. I was somewhat surprised to be seeded first in the 50/100 back. I think there must be some sandbagging going on. But at least I have a good lane. Unlike my 50 free!

Updated November 29th, 2009 at 12:22 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  8. Sunday, Nov. 22

by , November 22nd, 2009 at 10:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hot Yoga:

Decided I didn't feel like swimming today, so went to hot yoga in the afternoon instead. My muscles were sore, so I thought a stretch might feel good. The class was packed. We had a chirpy teacher who read us a poem between the standing and seated poses. Hmm ... not exactly for me. lol. Although Geek thinks yoga is a "cult," I'm still undecided on whether I really like it or not. I think it helps my overall health and flexibility; I'm not sure if it helps my swimming much if any. I'd also like it more if it was 60 instead of 90 minutes. But I'll continue to persist for awhile, as I think I've only done 11 or so classes.

Epiphany Re: Whey Protein:

I was chatting with my brother yesterday and had a sort of epiphany about whey protein, which I tend to mix into my smoothies quite often. He was having some negative side effects from using it (bloating and other blech things). The same thing has been happening to me for months, and I didn't really link it in my mind to the whey protein. But after some internet research, I think it's likely the culprit. So, I'm ditching it, even though I know there are many benefits to it. Instead, after researching soy protein and hemp protein, my bro and I decided we'd try hemp protein.

Here's some info, if you're interested:

http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/hemp/seedprot.htm

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...205&topic=8743

We're going to try this brand:

http://www.manitobaharvest.com/carts...iew.asp?key=45

The main downside, I think, is the taste. I tried some in a smoothie today after yoga, and I could never have a full serving of the stuff. Too nasty! But in a smaller dose, it was fine mixed with fruit etc. But not nearly as tasty as whey protein.

I checked the Pure Sport I've been using. That too has whey in it. But at least it has whey isolate, which is supposed to be superior to whey concentrate.

Planning on a solo swim tomorrow ... Will probably do one of the sprint workouts I've stolen and stockpiled on FB.

Updated November 23rd, 2009 at 01:37 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  9. Slightly Peeved, Tuesday, Nov. 17

by , November 17th, 2009 at 08:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Noon Hot Yoga:

Went to the noon hot yoga class. I'm getting ever so closer to touching my head to my toes in one of the final positions. I might close the last two inches in the next millenium ...

Commentary:

I'm feeling slightly peeved today:

My shoulder is still nagging me. (I'm fairly sure I just overdid it on the HS hi row a week or so ago with my new PR. When I tweak my shoulder, it usually takes a good 3 weeks for the symptoms to fade. It's not bad, just annoying and irritating and a constant reminder to do my damn boring RC exercises. I think this will force me to taper upper body weights now.)

I couldn't go to my team practice tonight b/c I had to drive my kid to her pm make up USA practice since high school tryouts were after school. I was pretty tired anyway though ...

GMU has apparently instituted a "no make up" policy for masters swimmers. This means that if official masters practice is cancelled or you can't make a regular practice, you can't go in during the 8-9 am or 12-2 pm lap swim hours to make it up. This seriously sucks, since the pool is regularly closed for meets on the weekend, thus obviating 50% of the regular practices. (None of the nighttime swimmers can or want to do make ups at 4:15 am.) And we get no rebate when our practices are summarily cancelled. This further sucks since the masters team helps subsidize the college team with our meets and fees. Irksome. A couple of us have complained to management, but their new policies (including pay in full in advance) seemed designed to drive (and in fact have driven) some of our masters swimmers away. I know a couple other team members that swim at 8-9 and they are fuming as well.

I just sent in my entries for NE Champs today, right before the deadline. Then, this afternoon, Mr. Fort just announced that he will be in Tucson on Dec. 11 when I leave. Since my other kids have sports practices and swim meets, this poses a logistical nightmare for me. Since he's been on a Patrick like traveling spree the past month, this is irksome. I am irked. Though I'm sure it will pass.

On the upside, I will still meet Pete for our Thursday sprint practice, but at OakMarr Rec Center instead.

NE Champs:

I entered the following events:

Saturday:

100 IM
    50 back
    50 free

There's only one event between the 50 back and 50 free (200 breast). But evil is slow mo and I'm sure there will be many heats of the 50 free.

Sunday:

50 fly
    100 back
    100 evil
    100 free

I intend to submit split requests for the 100 evil and 100 free.

I submitted my best times for every event except 100 evil and 100 free, since I will be dogging the second 50 on those. Actually, I submitted a faster 50 fly time, since my last time didn't count as official.

And on the issue of time trials not counting in masters, check the last paragraph of this out:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...news/22599.asp

I am now going to finish my motherly chores and sit and watch the MadMen episodes I missed this season ...

Updated November 17th, 2009 at 10:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  10. Friday, Nov. 13

by , November 13th, 2009 at 05:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM: Hot Yoga

Made it through another Africa hot class. I think Insel keeps the temperature higher than the other instructors. I was melting by the end. But I was a rock star on the standing boat pose finally. (That's my fav standing pose.) Afterward, I was slightly nauseous, probably just dehydrated.

More info on hot yoga:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...59_kell29.html

http://www.hot-yoga.net/news/

PM Massage:

Got a deep tissue massage this afternoon. I was really pummeled and feel dead at the moment. I'd love to hibernate in front of a fire on this cold rainy day. Maybe later tonight. The massage therapist noted that it's a great idea to do hot yoga before a massage b/c it makes you very pliable.

I'm still planning on taking tomorrow off and sleeping in.
    Categories
    Yoga
  11. Saturday, Nov. 7

by , November 7th, 2009 at 06:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM: Hot Yoga

Went to the 10:00 am 90 minute hot yoga class. This was my easiest class in terms of resisting heat stroke. As always, I'm pretty decent on postures with back bends involved and not so hot on balancing. But I'm improving slightly. Had my fav instructor Insel there today.

Then I went to the last regular season soccer game for my 9 year old. The weather was gorgeous, my daughter rang like a gazelle (she's a natural wingman), and we had a little party afterward.

My lunatic relay partners (who are co-soccer coaches) are anxious awaiting results from the Wrightsville Beach ironman tri taking place today.

PM: Run:

Wasn't sure what exercise to engage in this afternoon. Given the beautiful weather, I opted for a run. Did my usual 5 mile trail loop. The first mile was mildly tortuous after my manic plyo session yesterday and yoga this am, but then my legs relaxed and I felt pretty strong. I still walked a nasty up though.

Meets/Times:

I understand that there is going to be a meet here in PV the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend at the Freedom Center called the "Crawl Brawl." It was supposed to be in meters, but it was switched to yards. God forbid we swim SCM ...

This is slightly ameliorated by the fact that there is now going to be a SCM meet at Wilson High School (site of the Fall Ball). Unfortunately for me, it appears to be a one day meet only the same weekend as NE Champs in Boston.

On a happy note, the IL TT chair corrected his TT submissions and included my LCM times in the 100 fly and 200 back. Mary Beth W. assured me they would appear in the final LCM rankings. Whew!

Off to dinner with friends ....
    Categories
    Yoga , Running
  12. Hard! Wed., Nov. 4

by , November 4th, 2009 at 10:11 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM: Hot Yoga:

Went to the 10:00 am hot yoga class. Didn't suffer quite as much and didn't need quite as much water as usual. Didn't even have to dump water on top of my head during the last 15 minutes.

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Today, I used the structure of one of Ande's sprint workouts from awhile ago. (I have a note on FB in which I collect sprint oriented workouts I like.) But instead of doing the 15 100s in the set as increasing fast freestyle, I did them as increasingly hard backstroke SDK without fins. This was to serve the dual purpose of implementing Quick's advice (treat the 100 back as 50 swim/50 kick) and Chris' advice to do longer quality hypoxic sets sans fins. This was NOT easy. It took some will power to get through it, but I think it was worthwhile. This CO2 tolerance set was definitely harder than my endurance kick set from Nov. 1.

Anyway, here's how it went:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Main set: Hypoxic Kick + Sprints:

5 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:00 (no fins)
    SDKs = 12, 10, 10, 10 by 25

50 EZ

8 x 25 easy speed fly w/fins @ 75% @ :35

4 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:15 (no fins)
    SDKs = 13, 12, 12, 12 by 25s

50 EZ

8 x 25
    odds= fast evil
    evens = EZ

3 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:30 (no fins)
    SDKs = 14, 13, 13, 13 by 25s

50 EZ

8 x 25 easy speed fly w/fins @ 75% @ :40

2 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:30 (no fins)
    SDKs = 15, 14, 14, 14 by 25s

50 EZ

8 x 25
    odds = fast free w/fins @ 90%
    evens = EZ

1 x 100 back
    SDKs = 16, 15, 15, 15 by 25s (no fins)

100 EZ

Total: 3300

10 minutes in hottub

Commentary:

I am dead after 3 hours of working out. The hypoxic kicking definitely took it out of me. I had some cramping issues on the last few hundreds, which surprised me as I hadn't had any calf cramps recently. Of course, I have pounded my legs the last few days, so it could be that. Or, I guess, it could be the yoga beforehand.

I'm hoping to work out with Speedo, Cage Fighter and Jazz tomorrow.

I tried out the Pure Sport workout and recovery drinks today. Banana-strawberry flavor. It didn't make me nauseous like the Hammer products, so that was quite excellent. The recovery drink I split in half and used half after yoga and half after swimming. The taste was just too strong to have in one dose. I hope that doesn't negate its effectiveness. I have another swim friend who really likes Pure Sport as well.

Comparison:

I notice that lovely Jimby prominently displayed my botched 50 back in LCM from 2008 Zones on FB. I slipped on the start and sunk in the water, going 33.4. So, for what it's worth you can compare my 2008 (33.4) and 2009 (31.99) 50 LCM backstrokes. You can see me drop an F bomb in 2008. B70s in both.

2008: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaFortressa

2009: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_QnCTP2n2w&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Leslie's 50 LCM Backstroke National Championship Performance[/ame]

P90X:

I got my P90X plyo video in the mail. Am anxious to give it a whirl. But probably not tomorrow right before a sprint workout.

Food Blog:

I'm going to write down my food for the next weeks leading up to my SCM meet. As I recall from the last time I started this project, I used a pretty low carb approach for a month and then increased carbs for the couple weeks before SCY Zones. In retrospect, that seemed to work pretty well. This time, I'm not eliminating carbs. I think I really should focus more on portion size and skipping desserts, etc. For example, I ordered Thai food with a friend a couple days ago -- I ate way too much b/c it's so tasty.

Breakfast:

large smoothie with one banana, strawberries, frozen mixed berries, scoop of yogurt, flax seed oil, 1/2 scoop of whey protein

Lunch:

salmon, salad with tomatos & cucumbers, small box of junior mints (lol)

Snacks:

Pure Sport recovery drink after yoga and swimming and Pure Sport workout drink during swim.
    apples w/ peanut butter
    cheese & crackers

Dinner:

quesadilla with cheese, peppers, tomatoes & mushrooms
    balance bar in car

(Dinner was a bit of a disaster tonight as I was in the car driving to myriad things between 4-9 pm. I had to make separate dinners for everyone. And I still have to pack lunches. I'm sure I'll need another snack -- I'm still hungry.)

Updated November 5th, 2009 at 11:03 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  13. Thursday, Oct. 29

by , October 29th, 2009 at 02:56 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hot Yoga:

I woke up this morning feeling, as Allen predicted I would, absolutely flattened from yesterday's gym + lactate buffering set. Speedo had a possible call at noon, so we postponed our Thursday speed session. This was probably a good thing for me, as more anaerobic work was not what I needed today. Instead, I took my battered body off to hot yoga. Definitely a good decision! I feel much better and looser. "Refreshed" is still pushing it. The last 15 minutes of the class were, as usual, heat torture. And there was a woman b*tching about everything during the class. I wanted to smack her, just like Geek fantasizes about taking out twitter/iphone girl in his spin class.

No time for any other exercise today as I have full slate of kids' games and sporting events. Just as well, I'm sure, assuming "less is more." I'm hoping to get to the gym and/or pool tomorrow afternoon, but I'm stuck at home for a delivery, which better be timely! I like being a mostly SAHM on the whole; I just don't like to SAH. lol

I saw this article in the NY Times. The people I know who can best tolerate pain are Geek, CS and Mr. Fort.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/29/fa...=2&ref=fashion

In other news, I read that B70 was, in fact, developing a new suit. I was very glad to hear this, as I'm (understatement here) a B70 fan.

http://twitter.com/blueseventy/status/5242674279

I'm not sure which suit I'm going to wear at my next meet, as my B70 has a small hole and is approaching old age ...

Also found this article on upper body plyometrics, which I haven't really ventured into yet except for some clap pushups.

http://www.performbetter.com/catalog...lePlyometrics3

Box jump demo:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...Variations.wmv

And My son just came home and announced he has swine flu.

Updated October 29th, 2009 at 08:40 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  14. Monday, Oct. 12

by , October 12th, 2009 at 11:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hot Yoga:

Made it to my 90 minute hot yoga class this am. I'm feeling even more pure with all those impurities sweated out. Whew! I didn't even have to cheat death like Geek did the other day. And, having expelled the dread impurities, I felt free to imbibe more and have just polished off a bottle of wine with one of my oldest and dearest friends.

My upper back today was pretty lit up from yesterday's weight extravaganza. Not sure what I'm going to get up to tomorrow afternoon. Next week, I'm going to mostly lay off the weights before the Sprint Classic (maybe only some light or explosive upper body stuff). Then back at it for a few weeks before, blech-sigh, tapering for Zones.
    Categories
    Yoga
  15. Friday, Oct. 9

by , October 9th, 2009 at 05:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hot Yoga:

I journeyed once again to the hot yoga studio at 10:00 am to be tortured by Insel. Insel apparently prefers his bikram yoga studio at 110+ degrees. It was at a comparatively balmy 105.8 degrees last Tuesday. That 5 degrees makes a huge difference! The last 20 minutes I just wanted to jump in an ice bath. I would have laid out serious cash for an icy drink; my water was hot by that time.

I've learned from yoga that I have weenie shin muscles. (This is apparent from plyos as well.) I am not nearly as flexy as the Sarah Jessica Park lookalike. I can't understand a word the instructors say in "yoga speak." There is definitely some aerobic work going on in there -- my heart is pounding when I'm barely doing anything. My back muscles, especially the mid back, feel nicely looser though!

Insel keeps telling me I "must" go more than 2x a week. I really don't see that happening ... I tried to explain that I had another obsession, but I got the glazed eye look when I mentioned masters swimming.

Drylands:

Core:

long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    bicycles, 2 x 50
    windshield wipers, 1 x 25
    hanging reverse crunches, 3 x 15

Plyos:

box jacks w/med ball, 3 x 1
    bunny hops, 2 x 10
    squat jumps w/10 lb plate (you raise plate over the head as you jump), 2 x 10

(I liked all 3 of these plyos. I tried the "dance move" plyo I posted a link to before (step back, twist w/plate and jump -- too damn complicated, blech.)

Explosive weights+:

leg press, 290 x 2 x 10
    bench press, 60 x 2 x 10
    narrow grip seated row, 80 x 2 x 10
    rack chins, 3 x 15
    shoulder shrugs, 15 x 2 x 15, forward & back

RC:

seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
    internal and external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    scapular wall slides, 2 x 25

Commentary:

I still prefer doing weights before yoga (like I did Tuesday) than yoga before weights. I may have to pick a different day.

Looking forward to an off day tomorrow and a bit of a lie in. Nothing scheduled until soccer at 11:00 am tomorrow. Well, and then there's the homecoming festivities. My son is at a cross country Invitational, so he's missing out. But outfitting a teenage girl seems to be an expensive and time consuming proposition ...

Week tally (6 days):

4 x swim
    3 x gym
    2 x yoga

Updated October 9th, 2009 at 09:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  16. Hot, hot, hot!, Friday, Oct. 2

by , October 2nd, 2009 at 03:59 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM: Hot Yoga:

As promised, I made it to my first hot yoga class. I think I liked it better than other yoga I've done -- you can get really flexy when you're so hot. But it was really really hot those last 30 minutes, and the 90 minute class went long. I'm fair skinned and my face was bright red. Next time, I'm bringing more water and putting ice in it. G2 was definitely not the right thing to bring to class.

In general, I'm pretty flexible, but my balance isn't the greatest compared to the real yogis. I was told it burned 1,000 calories, which seems like a lot. You definitely lose a lot of water weight; I was drenched! I can't believe some yogis do this 2x a day ...

PM: Weights

Didn't get in as long a session in as I had hoped -- too many errands and chatting with an old friend at the gym. But I did manage this:

leg press, 270 x 3 x 10 (fast)
    bench press, 70 x 1 x 8 (fast), 60 x 2 x 8 (fast)
    tricep press, 45 x 3 x 10 (fast)

yates row (first time I'd ever done it, had to play around with the weight), 95 x 1 x 20, 115 x 1 x 10, 135 x 1 x 10, 145 x 1 x 8
    internal and external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15 each arm
    lunges w/20 lb DBs, 2 x 15

hanging reverse crunches, 3 x 15
    straight leg raises lifting hips off bench, 2 x 15
    dead bugs on bosu, 3 x 25 (much harder on the bosu, Pete. )

I do think the yoga took some toll on the weights. I felt more tired than usual. I guess I'm just used to lifting weights first and in the am.

I have two GFs coming over tonight (can't go out have to babysit a coed teenage group, lol). Will definitely be drinking our fav buttery chard.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789